Another set of cans to compliment my DT 770 Pro/80
Mar 1, 2006 at 4:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

luckybaer

Headphoneus Supremus
Love my 770s.

A really fun headphone for games, music, and movie watching.

What would be another high-quality headphone that would be a nice compliment to the 770s? What I mean is a headphone that excels in areas that the 770s do not, and perhaps might not be as strong in areas that the 770s are. For example, is there a headphone out there that has improved mid-range over the 770s with perhaps slightly tighter and less upfront bass?

Musically speaking, the 770s really kick ass on any kind of music that has a strong driving bass line. Is there another headphone in the price range that perhaps excels at lighter classical music and lighter jazz?

The recommendation can be for an open or closed can. If there is ambient noise that I need to block out, I can always turn to the 770s. The recommendation can include cans that cost up to USD $250 or less. I don't think I am sophisticated enough to appreciate the subtle differences or improvements of anything that cost much more.

Would the 880s be the compliment? HD595? What could it be?

If you would, please make comments and comparisons relative to the 770s. They are the only decent cans I have ever owned, and therefore, they are my best point of reference. If anyone talks about stuff like the "Sennheiser veil" or "Grados' small soundstage," I won't know what you are talking about. But if you say something like, "Slightly less forward bass than your 770s but with clearer, more upfront mids," I'll be cooking with Crisco!

Mar 1, 2006 at 5:10 PM Post #2 of 5
Did you pick up an amp with your 770?

You'll definitely be able to appreciate a $75 more HD650 from Sennheiser, but you'll need an amp for it. The midrange is really nice, and FAR more present without being shoved in your face as some of the headphones I've heard. The Bass is a good deal better than the 770... far more refined and accurate. The DT770 seems harsh and grainy overall compared to the HD650.

The 880 is very different... very little impact, but a nice midrange and a REALLY nice (if a little bright) higher end. If you want bass anything like the DT770, you're not going to find it here.

Both are good with classical. 880's got a wider soundstage, but I think the 650's a little deeper.

If you want a dirt-cheap alternative for classical that is basically ALL midrange (no bass to speak of) try the K501. Haven't heard it, but I think for $120 it'd give you a totally different perspective than the 770. Just something to think about.

I really think of those, you'd like the HD650 the best though. And hey, an HD580 is no slouch either, though it lacks the bass of the 650.

Mar 1, 2006 at 5:29 PM Post #3 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercuttio
Did you pick up an amp with your 770?

You'll definitely be able to appreciate a $75 more HD650 from Sennheiser, but you'll need an amp for it. The midrange is really nice, and FAR more present without being shoved in your face as some of the headphones I've heard. The Bass is a good deal better than the 770... far more refined and accurate. The DT770 seems harsh and grainy overall compared to the HD650.

The 880 is very different... very little impact, but a nice midrange and a REALLY nice (if a little bright) higher end. If you want bass anything like the DT770, you're not going to find it here.

Both are good with classical. 880's got a wider soundstage, but I think the 650's a little deeper.

If you want a dirt-cheap alternative for classical that is basically ALL midrange (no bass to speak of) try the K501. Haven't heard it, but I think for $120 it'd give you a totally different perspective than the 770. Just something to think about.

I really think of those, you'd like the HD650 the best though. And hey, an HD580 is no slouch either, though it lacks the bass of the 650.

No amp yet. I'm going to purchase the following over the next few months:
1. Portable mp3 player (like iPod Nano or something)
2. Portable amp (like something from z-Audio)
3. One more set of cans (hence my post!)

Sounds like 650s or 880s are a couple of choices. Might have to try the 650s. From your description, they appear to sound more well-rounded than the 880s. I do need some bass, LOL. I think I am learning that I might be a "bass-head." Ha-ha!

Mar 1, 2006 at 5:45 PM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by luckybaer

Sounds like 650s or 880s are a couple of choices. Might have to try the 650s. From your description, they appear to sound more well-rounded than the 880s. I do need some bass, LOL. I think I am learning that I might be a "bass-head." Ha-ha!

Well, to MY ears the 650s are more well rounded than the 880s (And I had the 880s for nearly a year). I find them to be more of an "all arounder" and great sounding with any type of music in my collection.

From one Bass lover to another, you're not going to get your reccomended daily dosage from the 880. I certainly respect the non-intrusive sort of bass it provides, but it really isn't for me. I also find the midbass of the HD650 to be quite delicious.

Now, this might be going against the grain here at Head-Fi, but here's what I think you should do. Get the HD650 now, ONLY if you're planning on getting an amp soon. It's going to be enjoyable out of the box unamped, and your stereo might do a decent job... who knows. Once you DO get the amp though, you're going to hear some magic. Good headphones still sound good unamped. You'll get an idea of the full signature, and then you'll get the rest of it with an amp.

They can be had for about $324 at J&R, if you live in NYC, or can be ordered from their website www.jr.com. I think Todd the Vinyl Junkie also can quote you a sweet deal on these.

Dec 16, 2010 at 4:59 PM Post #5 of 5
Haha, sry for diggin this out but I think its just hilarious and a perfect example how Head-Fi empties your wallet :D    (though for one of the best things in the world, sound enjoyment!)

Quote from 2006:

And now his recent Signature:

Quote:
Cans: HD650 | K601 | DT880 | DT770/80 | AH-D2000 | E4c | ATH-CK7 | KSC-75 | Amps For Cans: PA2v2 | HeadRoom Micro (Desktop Mod) | RSA Hornet | DAC: HeadRoom Micro | TT:  Kenwood KD2070 | Receiver:  Onkyo TX8555 | CD:  Marantz CD5003 | Speakers:  Polk Audio RT25i

o2smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back