Another request for HD650 amp advice....
May 14, 2010 at 5:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

yermum

New Head-Fier
Hi all

first time poster so please be kind :wink:.

I have recently entered into the world of cans with a purchase of a pair of 650s. this is due to the new arrival needing sleep or something... anyway I have a Marantz Nr1501 which seems to have a reasonable phone socket (or at least the sound out of it is not to bad to my ears).

My question is how much do I need to spend to see an improvement over the marantz?

I am happy to spend up to about £300 or so but only if there is really a massive benefit... If there is a sweet spot a little higher I might consider that as I might well be using these cans a fair bit over the next few years.

would something like this be good?

http://www.questforsound.com/preamps/preamps_E10S.htm

once again thanks in advance!

May 14, 2010 at 5:49 AM Post #2 of 9
Not sure about that QFS amp as I've not heard it, but for only $70 more you can get a WA3 from Woo Audio which has excellent build quality and reputation for building great amps. There are plenty of positive posts and happy customers around headfi with Woo, try a search for it as I don't own it but do have the WA6 and have been very happy with it for a long time, review link of it under my sig.

May 14, 2010 at 6:03 AM Post #3 of 9
sorry for this probably dumb question....

but do the valves on one of these amps get very hot? I would be concerned about delicated little fingers getting burnt when I am not looking...

May 14, 2010 at 8:54 AM Post #4 of 9
Hot enough to burn your fingers and you need to let them cool down before changing the tubes, although the cooling down is faster than one would think. That said, why would you even have your fingers near them?

May 14, 2010 at 1:00 PM Post #6 of 9

Quote:
Not sure about that QFS amp as I've not heard it, but for only $70 more you can get a WA3 from Woo Audio which has excellent build quality and reputation for building great amps. There are plenty of positive posts and happy customers around headfi with Woo, try a search for it as I don't own it but do have the WA6 and have been very happy with it for a long time, review link of it under my sig.

I second this recommendation for the WA3. Very nice pairing with the 650.

May 19, 2010 at 6:34 AM Post #7 of 9
May 19, 2010 at 9:12 AM Post #8 of 9
I am using a Woo Audio WA3+ with my HD  650. However, the important thing here is to use the right tubes. Do not go with the stock tubes, please. I recommend 1 X 5998 Tungsol 1963 and 2 X Philips ECC88 Holland "A" frame getter 1975. I also have exchanged the HD650 stock cable with a Moon Audio Silver Dragon. This is then a combo that is really satisfying. I may sincerely recommend it.

May 27, 2010 at 8:10 PM Post #9 of 9
I am listening to the 650's powered by a Vincent Audio KHV-1/pre; both like to play loud and are a very good match.  The 650's like power and the Vincent has a boat load.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back