Another Oregon meet too?
Jun 16, 2005 at 7:27 AM Post #137 of 162
Update: The SA1000's have arrived, are super comfy(the most I've ever felt on my head), and burning in constantly. Just 10 hours and they are already less harsh, although it helps to have my ears line up with the upper ends of the cups near the back. Wearing them in a 90 degree approx. style make the sound more forward. Also, the literature states that the cord is not actually 6N rated, but it is OFC litz copper, I'm assuming probably 99.99%, as opposed to the SA3000 and SA5000 having 6N-OFC Litz. When the warranty runs out on mine, I could consider a recable, but I'm content with their performance for the time being. Build quality, although it would seem that they are cheap by the feel of rather very lightweight plastic, exceeds that of my SR60's/SR125's, but ER6i is in another category altogether since it's such a tight package. Soundstage is awesome on these cans, easily beating the SR60 and ER6i, although the staging of those is interesting, as it seems that they are engineered to give an excellent soundtage to my ears, although the Sonys do it better. If I run the 4Front headphone plugin with Winamp, speakers suddenly become redundant, it's awesome.

biggrin.gif
Abe

Jun 16, 2005 at 9:15 PM Post #139 of 162
Noon, if you need me to resend you the e-mail just let me know. If you show up a little early that's fine, though you might give my cell a call to make sure I'm not out/ready
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 16, 2005 at 9:22 PM Post #140 of 162
Quote:

Originally Posted by devwild
Noon, if you need me to resend you the e-mail just let me know. If you show up a little early that's fine, though you might give my cell a call to make sure I'm not out/ready
smily_headphones1.gif

no, no: once again, i've just found it
biggrin.gif

Jun 17, 2005 at 6:57 AM Post #141 of 162
I just got my rechargeables, SD card, and Chaintech AV710 this morning. Having trouble getting the SD card to work, and I'm trying to optimize the AV710 for use with 24 or 32 bit on my Win98SE sytem, but I don't know how to do it(I made threads on both)-I also intend to get another longer optical cable to make use of it's SPDIF output. Besides that, the SA1000's are already improving quite well. They are burning pretty much 24/7, and sound more amazing after I leave them playing during my sleep- slightly more bass, less harsh treble each time I put them on after each interval- it would seem that they are balancing themselves out quite well.
biggrin.gif
Abe

Jun 17, 2005 at 7:27 AM Post #143 of 162
I definitely agree- the card was MUCH easier to setup than my last one, a Creative SBLive 5.1 with coaxial output. The step up to optical made a HUGE difference. I no longer have any feedback from the rest of my components and the noise floor is dead flat. It's great, but I get the feeling it can get better with some schooling on getting the most out of the card. One thing about it though: I still need Creative Playcenter instead of the WinRip software that comes with it, due to the fact that Playcenter can rip in VBR. If I can optimize nero express to rip CD's the way I want them, I'd ditch Playcenter in a second.

Edit: Can EAC do VBR rips? Is there any other program that can do VBR for free?

Getting a card with an optical out makes me want to get a cheap DAC for the Epsilon I'll be getting after the meet, to get the absolute most from my headphones.

BTW, those DT880's are killer, man!
And thanks again for the ride, I'll owe ya one!
biggrin.gif
Abe

Jun 17, 2005 at 8:19 AM Post #144 of 162
i rip to uncompressed wave with eac then compress with the encoder i want instead.
Razorlame is great for VBR mp3, so good that i couldn't tell a difference between it and maxed ogg, though i previously preferred ogg with dbpoweramp as a ripper and encoder.
Technically it isn't kept in the ram the way i do it, but the quality is still superior with a low level encoder like razorlame, which is just an edge above the commandline - simple and pure.

oh, i should also mention that the beyers have changed construction in the last nine months. According to highflyin9, the leather piece of the headband is different than the 770 or 990 and the metal piece is now a single piece of aluminum instead of two joined steel pieces. Also looks like they changed some of the coverings on the back of the drivers. Nice improvements for a little-mentioned and underpriced pair of cans though highflyin9 and i aren't sure if they are technically pure upgrades, sidegrades or downgrades, and though I think a single piece of tweakable aluminum sounds like an upgrade, i'll have to do some testing
biggrin.gif

oh, and it also had three poles to solder to instead of two (can't remember what highflyin9 called the poles) though he bypasses them anyway.

Jun 17, 2005 at 8:33 AM Post #145 of 162
Razorlame, huh? I'll definitely check it out! If another program on my system can alread rip WAV's to start with, I'll skip EAC, unless my tests of EAC's ease of use prove otherwise.
I'll be back in a bit, Winamp froze up for no reason and my close dialog box never works properly, so I'll have to restart my system and log back on.
biggrin.gif
Abe

Jun 17, 2005 at 8:59 AM Post #146 of 162
You should be able to do vbr with EAC. I know there's an option for up to 192kbps vbr under the LAME options. There are a ton of other codecs under the options so I'm sure its possible. I can't say that I've personally done it though because the only mp3's I ever ripped were to 320kbps LAME.

I'm ripping everything in FLAC these days. In one month, I've already doubled the amount of hard drive space I'm using for music. Hard drive's are getting a lot cheaper though. You can get some good deals if you keep your eyes open. One of these days I'll get around to getting a dvd burner so I won't have to keep everything on my hard drives.
rolleyes.gif

Is anyone else bringing their computer to the meet? If so I can bring a hub for sharing purposes
evil_smiley.gif

Jun 17, 2005 at 9:13 AM Post #147 of 162
If it's got USB 2.0 on it, I'm already ready to go- my Entempo Spirit is plug-and-play mass storage compliant, so I can download whatever you got.
I really should beef up its HDD though, to around 80GB's or so.
biggrin.gif
Abe

Jun 17, 2005 at 1:06 PM Post #148 of 162
EAC can rip VBR just fine, and fairly easy to set up too. I have been re-ripping some of my CDs over the past couple weeks to up the quality and get rid of some glitches. I am using lame as the external encoder and passing --alt-preset extreme (VBR 256). EAC has been doing this for so long that it's seamless really.
smily_headphones1.gif
If you need any help with setup I can show you on my machine tomorrow.

Quote:

Originally Posted by james__bean
Is anyone else bringing their computer to the meet? If so I can bring a hub for sharing purposes
evil_smiley.gif

You will be the main computer besides my own (based on the last meet, I probably don't have much music anyone cares about
wink.gif
), though it sounds like we have a couple people bringing portable HDs and possibly a mac. I have a switch and cables for internet, etc.

Jun 17, 2005 at 1:17 PM Post #149 of 162
Quote:

Originally Posted by devwild
EAC can rip VBR just fine, and fairly easy to set up too. I have been re-ripping some of my CDs over the past couple weeks to up the quality and get rid of some glitches. I am using lame as the external encoder and passing --alt-preset extreme (VBR 256). EAC has been doing this for so long that it's seamless really.
smily_headphones1.gif
If you need any help with setup I can show you on my machine tomorrow.

Good to know! I'll try doing EAC myself first. If I can match it up with VBR quality like my original collection has, I won't have any worries. The range is 112-224, I think. On Creative Playcenter, it's "75%".
biggrin.gif
Abe

Jun 17, 2005 at 1:26 PM Post #150 of 162
Quote:

Originally Posted by seeberg
Good to know! I'll try doing EAC myself first. If I can match it up with VBR quality like my original collection has, I won't have any worries. The range is 112-224, I think. On Creative Playcenter, it's "75%".
biggrin.gif
Abe

Lame on --alt-preset standard (192 VBR - HQ, ~160-210 final bitrt) will probably get you very similar results. That is what most people use for best quality/size ratio. All my older stuff is 256 CBR, so 256 VBR was a natural choice.
smily_headphones1.gif

Lame is an awesome encoder, I can easilly tell the diffence between it sloppier encoders on complex music these days, especially with the SA5000s
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back