Another excellent NY meet..........
Jul 4, 2005 at 4:25 AM Post #271 of 292
Quote:

Originally Posted by SiBurning
I had a confusing moment with one of those adapters at that back table, but I'm still confused about it. I remember juggling with Joelongwood's connectors all afternoon, and at one point while sitting at that back table, I was confused enough that I went back to Joelongwood's table to see if I didn't put it back already. To my best recollection, I saw the one I left there, and came back to the back table and left the one there there. But it was confusing enough (I probably even have you confused by now.) that I might have screwed up the screwed connector. In any case, I'd ask him.

I also remember having a confused moment with an orpheus.
wink.gif

You have no idea what confused is. I remember what I thought was an extra adapter sitting on my table all day......then I recall someone coming over and claiming it. When I went to use my Beyer DT-831 the other day, the adapter was missing. I have no clue what transpired, and I just checked all my stuff and definitely do not have any extra adapters.....I'm missing mine, too! Oh well, I can always use the adapter off another pair of Beyers if need be.
biggrin.gif

Jul 4, 2005 at 6:34 AM Post #272 of 292
Quote:

Originally Posted by joelongwood
You have no idea what confused is. I remember what I thought was an extra adapter sitting on my table all day......then I recall someone coming over and claiming it. When I went to use my Beyer DT-831 the other day, the adapter was missing. I have no clue what transpired, and I just checked all my stuff and definitely do not have any extra adapters.....I'm missing mine, too! Oh well, I can always use the adapter off another pair of Beyers if need be.
biggrin.gif

So I lost TWO adaptors. Better ban me from the next meet. (I had the Beyer DT-831 all day.)

Jul 4, 2005 at 12:58 PM Post #273 of 292
Its funny, but I was not at this meet, but right after you mentioned the missing adapter I found one... creapy. If you want I can send it to you.
tongue.gif

Jul 4, 2005 at 1:08 PM Post #274 of 292
FOR SALE: 2 adapters. Will take any serious offers or trades.

Jul 4, 2005 at 6:27 PM Post #276 of 292
Quote:

Originally Posted by joelongwood
I'll take 'em! YGPM.

Now I know I'll never get my adapter back - joelongwood never sells anything!
wink.gif

Jul 10, 2005 at 6:57 PM Post #277 of 292
I finally put my system back together after dismantling it for the meet.
I put the singlepower 2 box amp in the system,felt it was time to actually listen to it,having not heard it at the meet or before the meet as Mikhail came in with it at 4am that day with it.

I realized that the amp was putting a static type buzz into the 02s & HE90s,louder as the volume increased.Members mentioned in the tread that something was amiss with the amp at the meet.

After changing tubes,power cords,interconnects,I hooked up my Sony DVB-30 portable player to the amp,The static noise was completely gone.
The noise was being caused by the Emmlabs gear
eek.gif

After sweating it out I finally figured out what happened,The external /internal clock toggle switch on the Phillips Sacd was switched to use the internal clock of the Phillips player instead of the Dac6es clock.
The switch must have been moved upacking the Phillips player at the meet.
So at the meet the emmlabs setup was compromised as to its full potential at the meet,I didn't try the HEV90 yet as that is still packed up,but the KGSS also was effected when I tried it this morning.

I am happy to say the single power amp is singing right now with my O2s & is dead silent.I will spend more time with it,try some tuberolling on it &post some impressions in the amp Forum.

I just spent a intimate hour with patricia barber listening to her Nightclub SACD.

Jul 13, 2005 at 4:08 PM Post #278 of 292
Wait a sec. So you're saying that the Orpheus System can potentially sound even BETTER? I call for the return of the Orpheus at the next meet!

Jul 13, 2005 at 6:25 PM Post #279 of 292
Tom,

The full-blown Orpheus system (with the HEV90 amp) was not exhibiting the crackling (not buzzing) sound that I noticed when listening from the Singlepower amp, and both were being fed simultaneously from the same Emmlabs source. Also, the cracking sound I heard happened intermittently at various positions of the volume pot, while being quiet at other positions.

I presume the Orpheus was being fed from the Meitner DAC analog-outs (as was the Singlepower amp), and not digitally to use the Sennheiser amp's internal DAC, correct?

If so, I think that (at the meet, at least), the Singlepower issue was probably due to a bad tube, as Mikhail noted earlier. The buzzing sound you hear at home is different, I think.

Jul 13, 2005 at 6:33 PM Post #280 of 292
The HEV90 has an internal DAC? Cool!

Jul 14, 2005 at 12:57 AM Post #281 of 292
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
The HEV90 has an internal DAC? Cool!

Yes the HEV90 has a internal dac, a little outdated as it was made in the early 90s, it has coax, & optical inputs,doesn't sound to bad though,listened to it with the Theta basic feeding it when I first got it.

Jimmy I am listening to the amp now & it is dead quite,I just rotated the volume control comlpletely quite,listening to Leonard Bernsteins West side Story with The HE90s sounds really good.
I do have a differant tube compliment in the amp now then ones that was in the amp at the meet Mullard EL34s/12ax7 sylvainias as oppossed to the GE fatboy EL34 /12at7 combo that was at the meet. But I still had the problem even with the new tubes untill I flipped the switch on the phillips.
I will have to put the HEV90 back in the system & flip the switch to see if the HEV 90 has any problems.It could have been the switch got flipped when I packed up the phillips at the end of the meet,I dunno.
All I can say now is the singlepower amp is singing & is dead quite I am a happy camper right now listening to it.
biggrin.gif

Jul 14, 2005 at 7:09 AM Post #282 of 292
Tom -

I didn't hear any problem with the HEV90 at the meet ... just pure bliss!!! Had to wrench myself away from it, or I would have been glued to it for the entire meet ... and you probably would have had to either tear me away from it, or just take me home and store me in a corner with the amp & phones.
orphsmile.gif

Sep 14, 2005 at 7:07 PM Post #283 of 292
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpelg
Anybody find, or take home accidentally, a gold screw-on 1/8"->1/4" adapter that came from my AKG's? The phones were on Romanee's & Erikzen's table in the back.

If anyone tried the AKG's on the portable equipment and took off the adapter, I'd appreciate the return. TIA.

Well, I finally broke down and emailed AKG to find out how to get a new adapter. The price is $3.57 ea. plus shipping of $4.00 - Ouch!

Still trying to find a local source. B&H has the Sennheiser adapter listed on their website for $2.99, but they're always out of stock
frown.gif

May have to go the AKG route anyways...

Sep 14, 2005 at 9:25 PM Post #284 of 292
It's only $7.57. You can always ask Bruce Wayne for the money.

Sep 14, 2005 at 9:38 PM Post #285 of 292
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker
It's only $7.57. You can always ask Bruce Wayne for the money.

True dat!

It's just that it irks me to pay 4 bucks for the shipping on such a little item. In the grand scheme of Head-Fi-dom, though...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back