Another excellent NY meet..........
Jun 29, 2005 at 4:23 AM Post #256 of 292
Quote:

Originally Posted by ProleArtThreat
Either way, the outlook is bad for one's wallet.
biggrin.gif

That is one of the funniest and most truthful things I've read on this forum.

I will just buy it to add to the portable rig, that's all.

I accept.

Jun 29, 2005 at 4:44 AM Post #257 of 292
The Hornet can't really replace the SR-71 because it's a completely different sound. It may not appeal to those who love the SR-71 sound. Of course we'll have to wait until at least one unit is available for extended listening and comparisons. I really enjoyed the prototype ... and I was hard pressed to hear differences between the Hornet and the Raptor (yes... my ears were clean, I wasn't drunk, didn't have a cold, hadn't just gotten off a long-distance flight, recently attended a loud club date.....).

I love the SR-71 and also was bowled over by the huge sound from Overture DAC > Hornet > AKG K501s!

BTW - in the photo, the Hornet proto sits atop the Portaphile V2^2 ... another tiny case 9V+AC/DC forward/energetic/big dimension portable... though different still (another of my favorites... now there are 3). The field is definitely growing. What will the AE-1 sound like? ... and when?

I asked Ray to put me on the Hornet list... hope he doesn't forget me!!!!

Yep. ProleArtThreat is right on the mark: "... the outlook is bad for one's wallet."
orphsmile.gif

Jun 29, 2005 at 4:56 AM Post #258 of 292
Yeah, I covered my butt on the SR-71/Hornet front. I bought the SR-71 and got on the introduction list for the Hornet. Should be a lot of fun running them against each other!
tongue.gif

Jun 29, 2005 at 6:39 AM Post #259 of 292
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker
If you think Babylon is weird...what about Hicksville, or Piscataway
tongue.gif

Couldn't be Piscataway, I already met zatara and I think I met the other two people in town when they were out cow tipping the other night...
evil_smiley.gif

Jun 29, 2005 at 12:10 PM Post #260 of 292
Quote:

Originally Posted by ProleArtThreat
The thing that most impressed me about the Hornet was the midrange. This is the one area in which I feel it beats out the SR-71. Smooth and very forward, which makes it especially great for portable use.

Sounds very promising.
cool.gif

Jul 1, 2005 at 2:41 AM Post #261 of 292
Anybody find, or take home accidentally, a gold screw-on 1/8"->1/4" adapter that came from my AKG's? The phones were on Romanee's & Erikzen's table in the back.

If anyone tried the AKG's on the portable equipment and took off the adapter, I'd appreciate the return. TIA.

Jul 1, 2005 at 3:29 AM Post #262 of 292
I do remember seeing it on the table. I don't think I grabbed it but I will look through my stuff. I know I only have one screw on adapter so if another one turns up here, it's almost definitely yours.

Jul 1, 2005 at 4:07 AM Post #263 of 292
I lost an Orpheus...anyone see it? Anyone?

As far as Jimmy's adapter, check Peter's suitcase. He came in with 70 lbs. 4 ounces, and left with 70 lbs. 5 ounces
tongue.gif

Jul 1, 2005 at 4:21 AM Post #264 of 292
Quote:

As far as Jimmy's adapter, check Peter's suitcase. He came in with 70 lbs. 4 ounces, and left with 70 lbs. 5 ounces
tongue.gif

Good try, but nope. I just rummaged thru my small parts zip lock(s) ... and the wheely suitcase, and no new acquisitions found. I think it was actually under 50 lbs this time! (...or I lost a lot of stuff there and haven't found out yet...). I can account for every tiny chatchka (howdya spell that?)... but I suppose an Orpheus might get lost in there.
orphsmile.gif

Jul 1, 2005 at 5:49 PM Post #265 of 292
Quote:

Originally Posted by Romanee
I can account for every tiny chatchka (howdya spell that?)... but I suppose an Orpheus might get lost in there.
orphsmile.gif

tchotchke (according to Webster's). BTW, I think Orpheus is spelled J-E-A-L-O-U-S...

On another topic (relevant to the NY meet, I hasten to add), Larry Dale (a.k.a. headphile) has just shipped my upgraded AKG K340. He spent over a week doing a set of "special" mods on what was his last pair (apart from one NOS pair that he doesn't plan on selling -- yet). He was amazed by the condition of the drivers: he thinks they have had almost no prior use and he told me to burn them in for 100 hours before forming an opinion. So don't expect a report any time soon!
340smile.gif

Jul 1, 2005 at 6:06 PM Post #266 of 292
You can't get much better than that Machead! Basically new cans, and modded to boot! I shall now use the new emoticon in your honor -
340smile.gif

Jul 1, 2005 at 11:55 PM Post #267 of 292
Quote:

tongue.gif

Don't know where Jimmys adapter is, But I did find 1...........or 2
Orpheuses when I got home
orphsmile.gif
orphsmile.gif

Jul 2, 2005 at 1:08 AM Post #268 of 292
Quote:

Originally Posted by bozebuttons
Don't know where Jimmys adapter is, But I did find 1...or 2 Orpheuses when I got home

I'd take one of those as a reasonable substitute, Tom
wink.gif
!

Jul 2, 2005 at 2:35 AM Post #269 of 292
Quote:

Originally Posted by bozebuttons
Don't know where Jimmys adapter is, But I did find 1...........or 2
Orpheuses when I got home
orphsmile.gif
orphsmile.gif

Wouldn't that be called Orpheii?

Jul 4, 2005 at 2:38 AM Post #270 of 292
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpelg
Anybody find, or take home accidentally, a gold screw-on 1/8"->1/4" adapter that came from my AKG's? The phones were on Romanee's & Erikzen's table in the back.

If anyone tried the AKG's on the portable equipment and took off the adapter, I'd appreciate the return. TIA.

I had a confusing moment with one of those adapters at that back table, but I'm still confused about it. I remember juggling with Joelongwood's connectors all afternoon, and at one point while sitting at that back table, I was confused enough that I went back to Joelongwood's table to see if I didn't put it back already. To my best recollection, I saw the one I left there, and came back to the back table and left the one there there. But it was confusing enough (I probably even have you confused by now.) that I might have screwed up the screwed connector. In any case, I'd ask him.

I also remember having a confused moment with an orpheus.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back