Another ATH-M50 Thread (sorry)
May 26, 2010 at 2:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Spandy87

100+ Head-Fier
So I've been looking around and reading up on the ATH M50's and I can pick them up for around 80-90 bucks. I've heard good things about these headphones but I'm not yet convinced that these are the cans for me. I was hoping you guys could help me out with this or suggest something else in that price-range that might better suit my needs. Here's what I'll use it for:

65% Gaming
I play games a lot so I need some decent soundstage. I don't need something as crazy as the AD700's but I need it to be at least decent.

35% Music
I like good crisp sounding bass. Call me silly for liking it but I do. I also like good sounding explosions and stuff in games so its a plus there too.

**NOT AN AUDIOPHILE**
So far the only thing that's stopping me from picking up the ATH-M50's is that everything I read about them says that they are specifically designed as monitor headphones for mixing/recording/dj. I don't do any of this stuff. That doesn't mean I don't like good sound, I love good sound, but I don't do any sound engineering.

Is the M50 at 80 bucks better than anything else out there for my purposes? or would you suggest something else that is more geared towards games and not recording.

Thanks.

Edit* I'm currently using Apex HP60's so anything is pretty much an improvement.

May 26, 2010 at 3:37 PM Post #2 of 15
mixing headphones can also used as regular,fun listening headphones...don't worry about that.  as a matter a fact,although they are categorized as monitoring headphones,for serious monitoring i would not use them personally becasue of the coloration of the bass.  there are far better headphones for that purpose in the market.

IMO they are excellent headphones for listening pleasure.  if you want big soundstage they will probably not give it to you..although they DO have relatively nice imaging for a closed headphone.    what is your price range?

May 26, 2010 at 3:43 PM Post #3 of 15
you won't get a remarkable soundstage from most closed headphones.  and the m50 is no exception.
so, look elsewhere if you want to be able to spot where enemy snipers are comin' from...

maybe try audio technica ath-ad700.
open air, nice soundstage.  light, comfortable, from what i've read.  also can be had for about 80 or 90 bucks.
one of the most popular gaming headphones of all time. 
wink.gif

May 26, 2010 at 3:46 PM Post #4 of 15

Quote:
mixing headphones can also used as regular,fun listening headphones...don't worry about that.  as a matter a fact,although they are categorized as monitoring headphones,for serious monitoring i would not use them personally becasue of the coloration of the bass.  there are far better headphones for that purpose in the market.

IMO they are excellent headphones for listening pleasure.  if you want big soundstage they will probably not give it to you..although they DO have relatively nice imaging for a closed headphone. 

Couldn't have said it better.
I also wouldn't consider M50 as studio monitors... dey ain't nootrul. With big bass, recessed mids... nuh-huh. I love my M50's, but monitors they're not.

SRH-840, yeah sure, these I'd consider monitors. Great neutral sound, good sonic range, though slightly dificient bass. And, for me... completely uncomfortable. Some love the fit.

The M50's are great, fun portable cans. Not accurate, but they still have a relatively 'natural' presentation. Best $100 I've spent on audio in a while.

(oh yeah, and TheWuss is spot on too. Very tight soundstage. Almost IEM tight
wink.gif
).

shane

May 26, 2010 at 3:57 PM Post #5 of 15
Hey thanks for the input!

My price-range is 80-110.

Although the AD700 looks really good in terms of its soundstage (this is so far my second choice), I don't think I'll be satisfied with the bass. Is there anything that's sort of a middle ground between the AD700 and the M50? Or maybe something like the M50 but open-backed for a better soundstage?

Also, in researching this stuff, I've heard a lot about "binaural" headphones. Is this different from the traditional open/closed dichotomy? What exactly does this mean?

Cheers!

May 26, 2010 at 6:11 PM Post #7 of 15

Quote:
Is the soundstage really that bad on the M50's? 
I've heard mixed things about that.

Bad... who said bad?
I have no issue with the soundstage. It's just tight. Tight is OK for me. If you are into wide dispersion, then a closed can, especially this one, might not be for you.

shane

May 26, 2010 at 6:15 PM Post #8 of 15
well how does a tight soundstage translate into a gaming environment. Not necessarily fps games exclusively but just gaming in general. I get that its not ideal for directional stuff, but how much does it detract from overall experience?

You mentioned that the soundstaging on the M50's is almost IEM tight, which is something most gamers avoid when looking for headphones.

May 26, 2010 at 6:20 PM Post #9 of 15
Gee... I haven't played a FPS since I left the gaming industry back in 2001...
wink_face.gif

Sorry, I can't address that.

May 26, 2010 at 7:47 PM Post #11 of 15
No, not for your purposes. Try looking at the DT770 Pro 80s if you want precise directional audio, oh and it's got lots of bass too (as long as it's amped sufficiently). A better AD700 with more bass punch is the AD900 btw.

May 26, 2010 at 10:08 PM Post #12 of 15
yep.  the dt770 pro 80 ohms.  it's probably a little bit more money than the m50...
but would be a good option, as it has both the bass of the m50 and the soundstage close to the ad700.

Jun 28, 2010 at 1:26 PM Post #14 of 15

Quote:
No, not for your purposes. Try looking at the DT770 Pro 80s if you want precise directional audio, oh and it's got lots of bass too (as long as it's amped sufficiently). A better AD700 with more bass punch is the AD900 btw.

These are both better for bass than the AD700 (have the bass of the M50) but don't lose the AD700's soundstage.  Wouldn't AD900 be better though (for price anyways) cause it doesn't require an amp?  IIRC they are easy to drive.

Jun 28, 2010 at 1:56 PM Post #15 of 15

Quote:
well how does a tight soundstage translate into a gaming environment. Not necessarily fps games exclusively but just gaming in general. I get that its not ideal for directional stuff, but how much does it detract from overall experience?

You mentioned that the soundstaging on the M50's is almost IEM tight, which is something most gamers avoid when looking for headphones.

If you want a gaming phone get whatever sounds best and get an XFi card.  You will get 360 degree immersion from even apple buds, the phones don't matter when the XFi gives you complete surround.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back