(Another) ATH-M50 Review
Oct 6, 2010 at 5:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

youngngray

100+ Head-Fier
Ok, please don't knock me for posting about the Audio Technica M50's again, but I wanted to give people some perspective of what they are getting if they are coming from never having spend more than $30 on headphones before.  I guess I'm writing the review I would have wanted to read before I got these.  That's where I was a few days ago.  I had been using my Philips SHE9550's for the past 8 months since my Creative EP630's broke on me. Yea, so you know what I was listening to. I finally decided to upgrade because I wanted something that I could use at my desktop at home and that had good sound quality.

Firstly, I got them off of ebay for a $98 shipped from the seller unique squared inc.  I got the straight cable version.

When I first took them out and put them on, I got really scared.  I thought that I had just dumped $98 in the trash. They had 0 bass and the treble was incredibly shiny and harsh.  I thought I had really messed up.  But I had read that they need a burn in time before they actually can sound their best, so I decided to wait it out a while before passing judgement. After giving them some time, the bass started to show up to the party and the treble tamed itself.  Now, they sound great, but I'm getting ahead of myself.

They look (to me) like a really nice set of headphones that give the impression of, "I know what I'm doing with audio."  The construction is plastic, but it's really nice plastic. The earcups look nice, are comfortable, and are BIG. I was quite surprised that they actually completely surrounded my (large) ears.  Some people may complain of the headband being very tight, but I find that it isn't that bad, and when you're involved in the music, you don't really notice it.

Before I got these, I didn't know what real headphones were supposed to sound like.  I had only used IEM's and I knew that they had a very "in your head" sound, because, well, they're in your head.  I had also listened to some POS Fender headphones, which I would describe the sound as "plastic."  I had no idea if getting a $100 pair of headphones was even really worth it. I can tell you for certain now though. It is.

The treble is still a bit shrill, but I suspect that is because I haven't fully burned them in yet.  The bass is nicely present and sounds very controlled and accurate.  The mids are clear, if a bit recessed. I know, it sounds like every other review out there, but thats because it's true and even I can tell the difference.  The best comparison I can make to what they sound like, is if you have a decent home theater system, strap two of the speakers to your ears and add subwoofers to them too.  They sound incredible.

Overall, I give them 5 stars for performance and value. If you are still using those puny less than $50 headphones, get these, you will be glad you did.  Feel free to ask any questions of these, but know, I don't have any other full-size headphones to compare them to.

First post!
-Youngngray

EDIT: I also wanted to give a huge Thank You to all of the people here on Head-Fi that helped me make my decision to get these.

Oct 6, 2010 at 6:26 PM Post #3 of 19
I have to agree with this post. Just got my M50s yesterday and am having similar (positive) exeperiences.

But then again I was coming off $20 headphones so maybe at this point anything is good, but they do look hot and sound good so I'm satisfied lol. Even my iBud friend complimented them haha

Oct 6, 2010 at 6:44 PM Post #4 of 19
@jeffyo: I looked at a lot of other headphones before I got these. I first compared open vs. closed, and I decided that closed would be the way to go so that they would block out other sound from *cough*family*cough*. I mainly looked at Sennheiser and Shure competition because they were the best price/performance alternatives.  I never did get a chance to audition any of them, I just read all of the positive reviews about the ATH M50's so I decided to go with them for only $98.  I picked these because they seemed like the best price/performance headphones in my price range (under $150).  I am still satisfied, and 4 and a half hours after the review, they are still improving.
biggrin.gif
Hope it helps.

-Youngngray

Oct 6, 2010 at 6:48 PM Post #5 of 19
Nice impressions.  Welcome to HeadFi btw!  For $98 that is tough to beat.  I bought the same S cable from the same place for the same price.

Oct 6, 2010 at 6:58 PM Post #6 of 19
I also meant to add that I bought mine from Union Squared too for the same price, so if anybody is looking for some cheap M50s I got mine there with 3 day free shipping, and the cans were in box, with all the goodies (pouch, adapter etc)

Oct 6, 2010 at 9:48 PM Post #7 of 19
I just got mine in the mail today, I burned them in slightly and they sound pretty good and am continuing to burn them.  My first pair of "real" headphones and I am pleasantly surprised at them too because they sound pretty good for metal.

Oct 6, 2010 at 11:28 PM Post #8 of 19
I went and search for some M50 on eBay and i found this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Audio-Technica-ATH-M50-Studio-DJ-Headphones-ATHM50-/220675739292?pt=DJ_Gear_Lighting&hash=item33614c8e9c#shId

and this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Audio-Technica-ATH-M50-Headphones-M50-ATHM50-Bulk-/260669600896?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cb11e7480

Judging from the location of those sellers (China), does fake M50 exists in the market? For 69 usd they're kinda...cheap and tempting. And free shipping too.

Oct 6, 2010 at 11:33 PM Post #9 of 19
Oct 17, 2010 at 12:22 PM Post #10 of 19

Quote:
I went and search for some M50 on eBay and i found this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Audio-Technica-ATH-M50-Studio-DJ-Headphones-ATHM50-/220675739292?pt=DJ_Gear_Lighting&hash=item33614c8e9c#shId

and this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Audio-Technica-ATH-M50-Headphones-M50-ATHM50-Bulk-/260669600896?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cb11e7480

Judging from the location of those sellers (China), does fake M50 exists in the market? For 69 usd they're kinda...cheap and tempting. And free shipping too.

Very likely, I was actually considering getting these phones but scared by the fakes. Read this thread:
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/513866/has-the-fake-ath-m50-arrived
Audio-technica is so heavily faked by the Chinese.....So disappointing.

Oct 17, 2010 at 3:45 PM Post #11 of 19
@ Youngngray.
Congrats on your purchase. As with many of us, I'm sure your experiences with the M50 will only continue to improve as they break-in. They are amazing cans... and for the price, really can not be beat.

shane

Oct 17, 2010 at 3:50 PM Post #12 of 19
I know i'm late, but thanks for the review. It's interesting to know what other people think of them. I'm not a super huge fan of them, but I do like them a LOT.

The comments on the treble is strange and this is now the second time i've heard this. Do you have the straight or coiled cable? I don't think that makes any difference.

Maybe Audio Technica has made minor changes to sound different out of the box, but I highly doubt it! Maybe they also made a change to the pads that effect sound quality.  Hopefully there are not fakes out there that are an exact replica down to almost every single detail. I can't imagine this ever happening. Most fakes are easy to spot.

My pair had highs that are actually very rolled off and non-fatiguing in every way. About the same as my DJ100 and even worse then my SRH-840! When I heard comments about them being harsh or shrill, i'm thinking "Huh?!". I'm VERY sensitive to harsh highs on a headphone. Even the SRH-840 kind of bothered me at times. My pair seemed fine without any sort of burn-in. I've tried dozens of headphones and only a few have needed or sounded different with burn-in, but I do believe in it!

The bass on mine was very bloated and not very well controlled at all. It kept showing up at the wrong times and sounded un-natural. Please remember, I'm just describing my own pair and not saying all M50s will sound like mine! I bet a few people here that liked the M50 and heard mine, they'd also not like them as much as the pair they use. Who knows.

Oct 17, 2010 at 4:50 PM Post #13 of 19
All M50s should sound pretty much the same since they are all mechanically the same.  The only major variable in sound should come from psychoacoustics, that is, how your brain interprets the sound.  So no, it doesn't vary from m50 to m50...just person to person.  Maybe that's what you meant?

Oct 17, 2010 at 8:08 PM Post #14 of 19

Quote:
All M50s should sound pretty much the same since they are all mechanically the same.  The only major variable in sound should come from psychoacoustics, that is, how your brain interprets the sound.  So no, it doesn't vary from m50 to m50...just person to person.  Maybe that's what you meant?

My fellow Oaktowner... I agree and disagree.
Yes, they should all measure the same, and they should all sound the same to the same person.
But each person's ears are different in too many ways to say that the same can will sound the same to everyone. From the pinna to tympanic membrane to brain, we are all too different to have the same observation and interpretation for a given constant.

Psychoacoustics, break-in, etc., all play a part, and you are certainly correct about that too.  
atsmile.gif

shane

Oct 18, 2010 at 8:49 PM Post #15 of 19

Quote:
I know i'm late, but thanks for the review. It's interesting to know what other people think of them. I'm not a super huge fan of them, but I do like them a LOT.

The comments on the treble is strange and this is now the second time i've heard this. Do you have the straight or coiled cable? I don't think that makes any difference.

Maybe Audio Technica has made minor changes to sound different out of the box, but I highly doubt it! Maybe they also made a change to the pads that effect sound quality.  Hopefully there are not fakes out there that are an exact replica down to almost every single detail. I can't imagine this ever happening. Most fakes are easy to spot.

My pair had highs that are actually very rolled off and non-fatiguing in every way. About the same as my DJ100 and even worse then my SRH-840! When I heard comments about them being harsh or shrill, i'm thinking "Huh?!". I'm VERY sensitive to harsh highs on a headphone. Even the SRH-840 kind of bothered me at times. My pair seemed fine without any sort of burn-in. I've tried dozens of headphones and only a few have needed or sounded different with burn-in, but I do believe in it!

The bass on mine was very bloated and not very well controlled at all. It kept showing up at the wrong times and sounded un-natural. Please remember, I'm just describing my own pair and not saying all M50s will sound like mine! I bet a few people here that liked the M50 and heard mine, they'd also not like them as much as the pair they use. Who knows.

I suppose what I got are the "new" ones, if there is such a thing. They didn't come in the regular blue box with the cover flap, instead, it was a regular box with a window, no flap, and the coloring was more light baby blue. I got the straight cable version.

And, no matter who is listening to them, I don't care who you are, when I first plugged them in out of the box, the bass didn't exist. It just wasn't there at all. I tried turning up the bass eq all the way and it didn't change a thing.

Also, the highs really aren't harsh at all anymore (quite a few more hours of listening haven't been keeping track, but probably almost 100). They sound very nice. On another note, I sometimes even eq the bass down now it has gotten so powerful. And very accurate still!

Also to address your concerns of a fake, 

Quote:

Very likely, I was actually considering getting these phones but scared by the fakes. Read this thread:
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/513866/has-the-fake-ath-m50-arrived
Audio-technica is so heavily faked by the Chinese.....So disappointing.

I posted to this thread as well with a picture of mine. The logos on mine are the right direction on both earcups. I also purchased them from an authorized dealer, Unique Squared, so I'm 99% sure they're legit. My post is on page 4.

-Youngngray

Users who are viewing this thread

Back