(Another) ATH-M50 Review
Oct 20, 2010 at 11:13 AM Post #16 of 19

Quote:
And, no matter who is listening to them, I don't care who you are, when I first plugged them in out of the box, the bass didn't exist. It just wasn't there at all. I tried turning up the bass eq all the way and it didn't change a thing.

Then you either got a defective unit or you did not plug them properly in all the way.

Even if burn-in was not a purely psychological phenomenon and an excuse devised by clever salesmen to help their customers overcome buyer's remorse mechanical relaxation of drivers could never explain bass response of a headphone going from non-existent to pronounced.

Oct 20, 2010 at 11:26 AM Post #17 of 19

Quote:
Then you either got a defective unit or you did not plug them properly in all the way.

Even if burn-in was not a purely psychological phenomenon and an excuse devised by clever salesmen to help their customers overcome buyer's remorse mechanical relaxation of drivers could never explain bass response of a headphone going from non-existent to pronounced.

Yeah, I agree... even the most pronounced break-in will change the sound minimally. Detectable and real, but a small change. There must have been something else at work to go from zero to pronounced. Most have felt that out of the box the bass is excessive, smothing and lessening over time, not the reverse.

Either way... If they are good now... great! Enjoy.

shane

Oct 20, 2010 at 12:46 PM Post #18 of 19

Quote:

That was my thought as well.  I've had the user error L2plug-in phenomena occur before.  
wink_face.gif

Jan 10, 2011 at 8:26 PM Post #19 of 19

youngngray said:
/img/forum/go_quote.gif

@jeffyo: I looked at a lot of other headphones before I got these. I first compared open vs. closed, and I decided that closed would be the way to go so that they would block out other sound from *cough*family*cough*. I mainly looked at Sennheiser and Shure competition because they were the best price/performance alternatives.  I never did get a chance to audition any of them, I just read all of the positive reviews about the ATH M50's so I decided to go with them for only $98.  I picked these because they seemed like the best price/performance headphones in my price range (under $150).  I am still satisfied, and 4 and a half hours after the review, they are still improving.
biggrin.gif
Hope it helps.

-Youngngray

Thanks for your explanation! It's good for reference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back