Annoying Mosquito problem. Any natural ways to solve it?
Jul 4, 2009 at 5:14 PM Post #16 of 45
You can buy a mosquito net for very little at a camping supply store. I understand your aversion to DEET, when I was in Scouts we laughingly called it "spray-on skin cancer". That's not going to stop me from using it though.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 5, 2009 at 2:55 PM Post #18 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by blackbird /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Where I live, I have a very big mosquito problem, (or maybe I'm just exaggerating). But anyway, I'd really like them to be gone. I frequently cannot sleep because I'm afraid I've eaten a mosquito, and then I think that somehow I could get HIV from it, although people have told me both things are pretty much impossible. DO NOT SCARE ME WITH THAT.
ph34r.gif

Normal mosquitos, as annoying as they are, do not spread HIV nor any blood-transmitted disease no matter who they have bitten before. Some might spread malary and other dangerouns diseases, but those are not really widespread AFAIK, mainly they live in South america and africa and such warm climates. If there would be even a chance of mosquito malary around your area, you would know about it already...

The itching of mosquite bite drives me insane though, I have one on my foot ATM... AAAARGH!!!!

Jul 5, 2009 at 4:20 PM Post #19 of 45
Jul 5, 2009 at 4:33 PM Post #20 of 45
as someone mentioned earlier mosquito light/coil is effective also citrus trees/plants help a ton. Oh and you can also start smoking :p Mosquito's don't like smokers. It only helps when you have some non smokers around though...because they suck on smokers too but prefer non-smokers.
Sleeping in clothes wont help they will find a place ....oh and the buzzing can drive one MADDDD I hate them. I love animals but mosquito's I truly hate. I understand their place in ecosystem but damn I hate them I would love to see bats eating them or birds. Mosquitoes are the only creatures I have no compassion for...non at all.

Mosquito net +5 (during your sleep it is a lifesaver).
Hehe and so you don't go mad from their annoying flying sounds....put on your headphones while you sleep and listen to something loud enough to block them out.
Listening them flying and buzzing behind the net can drive one mad and is about the worst thing after being sucked on.

Jul 5, 2009 at 4:40 PM Post #21 of 45
F_ing Mosquitoes I HATE THEM HATE GRRRR.

Now that I live in UK I have yet to encounter them but I lived in northern/eastern europe and it was mayhem during summers. They just butchered you during the summer...whole summer long.

....hate hate grrrrr :/ bastards.

Jul 5, 2009 at 11:15 PM Post #22 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Arlekiin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
as someone mentioned earlier mosquito light/coil is effective also citrus trees/plants help a ton. Oh and you can also start smoking :p Mosquito's don't like smokers. It only helps when you have some non smokers around though...because they suck on smokers too but prefer non-smokers.
Sleeping in clothes wont help they will find a place ....oh and the buzzing can drive one MADDDD I hate them. I love animals but mosquito's I truly hate. I understand their place in ecosystem but damn I hate them I would love to see bats eating them or birds. Mosquitoes are the only creatures I have no compassion for...non at all.

Mosquito net +5 (during your sleep it is a lifesaver).
Hehe and so you don't go mad from their annoying flying sounds....put on your headphones while you sleep and listen to something loud enough to block them out.
Listening them flying and buzzing behind the net can drive one mad and is about the worst thing after being sucked on.

For some reason, I really do not like the idea of having a net around my bed. It just seems very awkward. I will try citronella and other natural oils to see if they actually work.

I have never understood mosquitos role in the ecosystem. If you could kindly tell me, it would greatly increase my appreciation for them.

Jul 5, 2009 at 11:32 PM Post #23 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by blackbird /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have never understood mosquitos role in the ecosystem. If you could kindly tell me, it would greatly increase my appreciation for them.

They're at the bottom of the food chain and support a lot of other creatures - birds, fish and even some mammals like bats.

The reason they're an excellent meal is because they're full of rich, nourishing blood from bigger creatures, like cows, horses and humans.

So those itchy bumps you have are actually helping to keep a lot of other critters alive. You should stop complaining about your important role in the food chain.
biggrin.gif

Jul 6, 2009 at 1:03 AM Post #24 of 45
The key to Mosquito control is the water where they breed. You must have some standing water nearby that is being used. Eliminate the standing water, and you will dramatically reduce the problem. If you have a pond, introduce fish that will eat the larvae - like fathead minnows or mosquito fish. Also make sure the water is not still - agitate the surface of the water with a fountain or waterfall. Look for anything around your yard with standing water - pet water dishes, clogged gutters, poorly draining planters, etc.

Oct 13, 2010 at 8:03 PM Post #27 of 45
Well, this is the least audio related thread I've ever read.

How are the mosquitos getting into your house?  You need to make sure your house is totally sealed, that's how you keep pests out.  Citronella candles I know are used for outdoor mosquito repelling.  

You can't get HIV from mosquitos, that's impossible.  It's not a host for the virus, HIV dies as soon as it leaves the human body, in seconds.  You can get malaria or West Nile virus though.  Probably a mosquito net is the only way to be sure they're not biting you.  

Oct 14, 2010 at 7:20 AM Post #29 of 45
Move further up north!
wink_face.gif

Not sure I have seen a single mosquito this year, and especially not these days with temperature below O°C in the night.

Oct 14, 2010 at 9:02 AM Post #30 of 45
I'm allergic to their bites and I just use a mosquito net over my bed. No bites during the night.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back