Annoying Mosquito problem. Any natural ways to solve it?
Oct 16, 2010 at 1:26 AM Post #31 of 45
Taken from one of my blog entries:

Mosquitoes are a big problem in Asia, and even living up on the 7th floor, I still get insane number of mosquito bites during the summer. I used to use repellent sprays and they don’t smell very good and I hate having to spray myself down every day. I’ve tried liquid repellents that you plug into an electrical outlet, and I’m always thinking that they are bad for my health, especially when I have all the doors and windows closed during the summer due to running air conditioning. I also considered one of those bug zapping lights, but they are really loud whenever it zaps something, and that kind of loud snapping sound would keep us awake at night, which defeats the purpose in the first place. Finally, I found carbon dioxide-based UV lights with a running fan that traps mosquitoes and let them die of dehydration. We tried it for a week and found that it does work if you follow the instructions closely, and we ended up buying two more to disperse among the different areas of the home. They look something like this:

mosquito_light-1.jpg

The trap basically uses the UV light in conjunction with chemical reaction that emits carbon dioxide that attracts the mosquitoes (mosquitoes find prey by following exhaled carbon dioxide). There is no snapping sound since the trap doesn’t kill mosquitoes that way–it just sucks them into the trap with the fan and then the fan will dehydrate them until they die. I’m pretty happy with this method so far, although you do have to follow the instructions on where to place the traps, what time of the day to turn them on, and to have them as the main light source whenever you’re not in the room–all of which makes them more effective.

Oct 16, 2010 at 3:09 AM Post #32 of 45
FWIW, only male mosquitos make the buzzing noise, and only females feed on blood to facilitate egg production. So if you hear a mosquito, you're OK. If you hear nothing, then well...
I don't like deet because of the way it can wreck plastic, so I cover up as much as possible then use repellant on exposed skin. Mosquito nets are a great solution while sleeping.

Oct 16, 2010 at 3:58 AM Post #33 of 45

Quote:
FWIW, only male mosquitos make the buzzing noise, and only females feed on blood to facilitate egg production. So if you hear a mosquito, you're OK. If you hear nothing, then well...
I don't like deet because of the way it can wreck plastic, so I cover up as much as possible then use repellant on exposed skin. Mosquito nets are a great solution while sleeping.

That can be argued. Female mosquitos do emit high pitched whine when they fly and you can hear it well in complete silence. Atleast around here they do.

Oct 18, 2010 at 4:34 AM Post #37 of 45

Quote:

Both the male and female create a buzzing sound from the movement of their wings. The female wings beat faster therefore creating a higher pitched sound and may be heard easier than the male.

Nov 2, 2010 at 6:07 AM Post #42 of 45
If you want to go really hardcore, you can get an all-net one man tent.  I brought one with me when I lived in the Ecuadorian rainforest for a summer and slept in it every night.  It was great because mosquitos were really the least of my critter worries there, and the tent made a complete seal around me.  No tarantulas falling on my face in the night. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back