Annoying internet connection
Apr 18, 2010 at 2:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

clarinetman

500+ Head-Fier
Hi,

Earlier this week my computer (running Vista, oh boy) crashed and lost system32, and all of my old data was corrupted. In any case, this also meant that I had to reenter the key for my Ethernet connection that's now working (or so I think).

The issue is that I have to reinstall all of my programs also, and some of them are throwing a bitch fit over the new connection (even in spite of the fact that it's exactly the same). The programs that are doing this include AVG Free, Spybot, and the .net framework for when I tried to install Eraser. Essentially, all of these programs "can't find an internet connection" in order for them to install on my computer, and I'm wondering what the deal is.

Your thoughts?

Apr 18, 2010 at 2:53 PM Post #2 of 20
vista_evil.jpg

My thoughts -> Microsoft = Evil

Apr 18, 2010 at 2:59 PM Post #3 of 20
I do tend to agree with you, mathis. I have so many issues with Vista... I think about switching to Linux quite a lot.

Apr 18, 2010 at 4:29 PM Post #4 of 20
I'd love Microsoft's OS if i didn't have to reboot every 3-4 months.

Apr 18, 2010 at 5:03 PM Post #5 of 20
Ever thought of moving to W7? It's a far superior program to V in pretty much all conceivable aspects I can think of. The best OS they ever produced up to date and obliterates all the slanders of V it used to get. I've been using a RTM version since last Sept and have had not a single bsod. Never have I thought V to be a bad OS but having dabbled myself in W7 for 8 months now, I haven't looked back once.

Apr 19, 2010 at 5:47 AM Post #9 of 20
Man, this has to be an audiophile forum !! The guy asks for some help and we get answers ranging from change your OS to change your computer
tongue.gif
! Talk about killing a fly with a hammer !

@OP did you try to check all the network parameters IP? DNS ? Maybe reboot the router or check its settings ? Did the software pieces that are bitching got authorized through the firewall ?

Apr 19, 2010 at 12:50 PM Post #10 of 20
Vista is a disaster. Either upgrade to Windows 7, or downgrade to XP. Both are superior OS's.

Apr 19, 2010 at 1:42 PM Post #11 of 20
Blaming the quality of your Internet connection on your OS is akin to blaming your daily commute route on your carmaker.

Your problems could be stemming from your PC networking setup, your router config, your service provider, your anti-virus software, other Internet-accessing software on your PC, another errant hardware device also on your router, other traffic on your service provider's network in your area, or a host of other reasons.

Aside: My Vista64 laptop has been rock-solid, with no OS issues over the past two years. *shrug*

smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 19, 2010 at 4:28 PM Post #12 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by frenchbat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Man, this has to be an audiophile forum !! The guy asks for some help and we get answers ranging from change your OS to change your computer
tongue.gif
! Talk about killing a fly with a hammer !

Perhaps because it is computer and not audio(phile) related.
wink.gif

Apr 19, 2010 at 4:48 PM Post #13 of 20
Two questions.

1: What Do you mean by "the key for your ethernet connection"?

2: Did you reinstall vista or did you just piecemeal reconstitute the stuff that was missing? If the latter, your vista is all jacked up still - you didn't do a thorough job of recovering from your crash.

Apr 19, 2010 at 7:12 PM Post #14 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by atbglenn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Vista is a disaster. Either downgrade to Windows 7, or upgrade to XP. Both are superior OS's.

fixed it.
wink.gif

but really, vista is turd. i'm not even trying 7 or whatever microsoft comes out with next. i'm going mac next time around, hopefully soon.
ksc75smile.gif

Apr 19, 2010 at 8:20 PM Post #15 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by ForgottenxxRebel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
fixed it.
wink.gif

but really, vista is turd. i'm not even trying 7 or whatever microsoft comes out with next. i'm going mac next time around, hopefully soon.
ksc75smile.gif

I have 3 macs and love them. That said, Windows 7 has been great. No problems so far after months of use on my 2 Dells.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back