Announcing the Launch of the SUSVARA
May 15, 2017 at 5:15 PM Post #31 of 183
I waiting for them to come out with headphones that sound so good they cost $10,000!

You'll need a Susvara 6K Edition and two pairs of the R2000$, two $2Ks in the ears and the $6K on top, to discover just how good $10,000 can sound. That and the latest Dolby Armstros promotional from the theaters, and you're done. Just relax and enjoy the sound!

May 15, 2017 at 5:40 PM Post #32 of 183
I waiting for them to come out with headphones that sound so good they cost $10,000!

You'll need a Susvara 6K Edition and two pairs of the R2000$, two $2Ks in the ears and the $6K on top, to discover just how good $10,000 can sound. That and the latest Dolby Armstros promotional from the theaters, and you're done. Just relax and enjoy the sound!
Good idea!

The only problem is I might start craving $20,000 sound then. At least I can count on Hifiman to come through, if that day ever arrives.

May 15, 2017 at 7:46 PM Post #34 of 183
Wow, I have just recently seen a pair of used HD800 in the classifieds for 600 (Six Hundred) USD. That's one tenth of the price of this item. Add an SDR mod for 15$ and it will give a good run for this new headphones' money. It's not that the Susvara sounds mediocre, but sorry guys, this is not a 6k$ worth of headphones performance and engineering in my book...:frowning2:

May 15, 2017 at 9:23 PM Post #37 of 183
So then, a $14K Stella amp is just about fine, but a $6K headphone is bloody murder?

I never said I was innocent. I'm a huge advocate for stopping this obsurd price scalling in the headphone world just like speakers have been doing for awhile now.. but I have a flaw in me personally in that I want the very best and sometimes willing to overpay for it. Sometimes I can boycot an item or even a brand out of principal (like I'll do with Susvara) , and other times I give in and overpay for something I can't resist.. (LCD4 or Stella). I admit this contributing to the problem but I do try to avoid these things and at least start the conversation regarding this insane pricing in threads and other ways.. and openly admit I'm not happy buying some of these items.. regardless of how much joy they bring etc

May 15, 2017 at 9:40 PM Post #38 of 183
I know right... this upward escalation of price gouging needs to stop. $6000 for a pair of headphones, no thanks. How much do the materials even cost to make these things? Will the next flagship be $8000? You're killing this hobby the same way the speaker industry spiraled out of hand in regards to absurd prices. Head-Fi is supposed to be the alternative for audiophiles that can't afford 10 thousand dollar speaker setups etc. For an 18 thousand dollar headphone amp/headphone combo what kind of proper stereo setup could you get.

This is absolutely a great point. I think the threshold has been reached in that now if you want to buy a top of the line system from almost any notable brand - you are crossing the realm of being able to surpass the audio quality with a speaker setup for the same price. It used to be different. Headphone systems would boast this admirable quote "To get the same quality in a speaker setup, you'd have to spend X amount more!!".. now sadly that quote can't really be used reliably amongst totl headphone systems. Now that era is gone and the only reasoning for not going the speaker route is for convenience and space savings and to not bother those around within hearing range etc. It's kind of a big deal when you think about it and I personally do believe that time has come.

May 16, 2017 at 12:02 AM Post #40 of 183
Mm...personally, I have no problem with the price of the Susvara EF combo. Not that I am buying. My main interest here is if the combo can outperform 99% of the alternative *system* out there and justify its price tag, including the HE 1 or even the old Orpheus. Hifiman is pushing this, as well as the even more expensive Shangrila, as their state of the art and the best product that they can make. There is nothing wrong with making these kind of products. If you look at the entire product portfolio of Hifiman, they have covered every conceivable price point to accomodate the needs and wants of the market. The Susvara is obviously aimed at the well-heeled part of the market. What is wrong with that? Who says that you have the entitlement or right to buy a totl headphone for as long as it falls under your personal criterea of affordability or your personal idea that prices of totl headfi gear should remain at xxx dollars forever and ever? Where did that even come from? If you can't afford it or you do not want to invest xxxx dollars, then don't buy. You are not entitled to anything. It is as simple as that. For as long as Hifiman delivers on what the Susvara promises to deliver, then I have no problem with that. Let them be and let the market decide.

The same sentiments apply to Sennheiser. They sell as low as 39.95 usd to 50,000 euros. Good for them.

Last edited:
May 16, 2017 at 12:39 AM Post #41 of 183
At least from the little 10 mins demo I had of these at the Fujiya Spring Headphone Festival 3 weeks back, in terms of build, and sound I actually thought the Susvara did pretty well against it's HE1Kv2, HEX brothers. To me the demo unit(s? can't remember if only 1 or 2) seemed pretty well finished. I have to admit I wasn't a big fan of the HE1K (v2) in terms of finish - as such I didn't really spend too much time with those.

Whether it's worth $6000, that's a different matter - "worth" is too subjective IMHO. I can only speak for myself I don't have $6000 to spend and it's not for me to speak for someone else's wallet. Even if these are overpriced by what majority of folks here say, somehow I believe there will be buyers.

However in terms of the product itself, if this somehow landed on my lap, from my limited experience I've so far had little complaints to make about it. I do have to make a point to pop by the Hifiman office in Japan to have a more personal listen to these headphones.

May 16, 2017 at 1:12 AM Post #43 of 183
The HE-5LE and HE-6 were ("are," I still have them) phenomenal, top-tier products. And then...I stopped and never bought forward. Have sampled their more expensive offerings but, no. The two listed above (with good amping!) are Shangri-la in this establishment. I thank Hifiman for the pleasure.

May 16, 2017 at 1:34 AM Post #44 of 183
Does the "invisible" magnet structure and the nanometer driver remind anyone else of the audeze LCD-4 technology? No idea why but to me it seemed really closely related but obviously different.. it's mostly the concept of the two technologies that has me reminded of LCD4.

Also it seems like it would make more sense that if you purchase the amp and the headphone then you get a bundle deal, but instead it's the full price (unless I'm mistaken).

Any in depth info on warranty? Also is pricing the same for all regions including China?

(This post is all over the place I know haha)

I think the cable company is going to add this headphone to their lending library. I had a few guys wondering if I would review this and it's possible.

Also a few loyal fans of my reviews were wondering, but for the record - don't care if someone gave me a product outright (which has never happened btw). I write what I actually think and never have i ever promised a "positive" review. I might promise someone a review but again, never say a "positive" one. Hope that clears that up. It's what kinda separates me from the many other reviewers. If I hate it, I'll say it. :D

Oh and are there any frequency graphs floating around?

May 16, 2017 at 3:27 AM Post #45 of 183
Mm...I was able to audition the Susvara (Ed 6 then) during CanJam Singapore 2017. Main floor so too noisy. My issue was it was connected to the HM 901S. That surprised me. A different dac/source should have been used (even if it is a non-HFM product).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back