Anew U1 Impressions Thread
Nov 30, 2018 at 7:03 AM Post #61 of 89
Ordered black limited edition pair yesterday from penon with express shipping, can't wait to receive and pair it with LG V30+ through Tidal Hifi. Also grabbed spintfit 100 ear plugs, not sure if was necessary tho. Thanks for all you guys in the thread and especially reviewers to let me make better decision and instantly cancel ongoing Amazon's iBasso IT01 order. Hope Anew U1 will be as good as HD668B are in cheap headphone department.

Write your impression when it would arrive, please. Thank you

Dec 7, 2018 at 12:13 PM Post #62 of 89
it's already in local customs, gonna receive on Money/Tuesday. Bitches charge me import/declaration/storage and on top VAT fees and delay the package for more 4days (express my ass). Nasty crap lol. Won't ever use DHL/Fedex Express shipping anymore in my country :frowning2: UPS Express only.

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2018 at 6:48 AM Post #64 of 89
Write your impression when it would arrive, please. Thank you
Received it yesterday, won't go in details for now, tho sound is definitely engaging, will burn-in them longer to give you my holistic impression. Quality alright. Can't get eartips to fit me secure enough in ear canal, all those silicones are bad fit for me except the longest double flinge one (those Spinfits CP100 size M has terrible fit too). I am very used to foam eartips, please give me a suggestion.

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2018 at 9:34 AM Post #66 of 89
Got my Anew U1 in the mail the other day, and they sound...odd. While they have some incredible sub-bass and a finely detailed treble that doesn’t get harsh, I feel like the mids are wrong. Vocals feel slightly recessed and thin, while also feeling kinda shouty. I also feel like instrument separation and texture is lacking. This is all with zero burn-in though. Does the midrange improve with burn-in, or is it something wrong with the source and tips I’m using (JVC spiral dots + iPhone dongle)?

Dec 13, 2018 at 1:30 PM Post #67 of 89
Got my Anew U1 in the mail the other day, and they sound...odd. While they have some incredible sub-bass and a finely detailed treble that doesn’t get harsh, I feel like the mids are wrong. Vocals feel slightly recessed and thin, while also feeling kinda shouty. I also feel like instrument separation and texture is lacking. This is all with zero burn-in though. Does the midrange improve with burn-in, or is it something wrong with the source and tips I’m using (JVC spiral dots + iPhone dongle)?

Strange. It was never shouting for me. Still are mine favorite. Try to leave them playing for several hours... I don't quite believ in burning in but who knows...
My setup to acquire good sound with Anew U1 is either Hidizs AP80 or Hidizs AP200, no EQ. Plus I am using regular stock silicone eartips...

Dec 15, 2018 at 12:09 AM Post #68 of 89

Received my U1s last week (from Penon) - the black special edition. Very comfortable and looks great - but I have to agree with Lodestar - something sounds a bit off. To my ear the issue is in the upper vocal range. Haven't seen a frequency graph, but it sounds like there might be a spike in the upper midrange, maybe in the presence region. It can add wow factor but it can also add harshness if it's overdone. Bassy voices seem fine but upper midrange vocals have a distracting unnaturalness. Not a believer in burn-in but I gave it 30 hours just in case and couldn't hear any change in the signature. Pity because this iem does some things really well. I also have the iBasso IT01. A lot of people seem to rate the U1 as better than the iBasso but I find the iBasso more pleasing overall. The problem with the U1 for me is the sense of something "not quite right" keeps pulling my attention away from just enjoying the music.

Dec 15, 2018 at 3:29 AM Post #69 of 89
Received my U1s last week (from Penon) - the black special edition. Very comfortable and looks great - but I have to agree with Lodestar - something sounds a bit off. To my ear the issue is in the upper vocal range. Haven't seen a frequency graph, but it sounds like there might be a spike in the upper midrange, maybe in the presence region. It can add wow factor but it can also add harshness if it's overdone. Bassy voices seem fine but upper midrange vocals have a distracting unnaturalness. Not a believer in burn-in but I gave it 30 hours just in case and couldn't hear any change in the signature. Pity because this iem does some things really well. I also have the iBasso IT01. A lot of people seem to rate the U1 as better than the iBasso but I find the iBasso more pleasing overall. The problem with the U1 for me is the sense of something "not quite right" keeps pulling my attention away from just enjoying the music.

Upset with your results... My perception of mids and upper mids is totally ok with those. Some other IEMs that I own do produce the same effect you are talking about - shouting. That is why I keep Anew U1 as my favorite. Either I am much less sensitive to this range than you are or there is a difference with the type of source. Both of my favorite DAPs (AP80 and AP200) are ok. What DAP are you using? Have you tried different eartips?

Dec 15, 2018 at 10:14 AM Post #70 of 89
A quick Anew U1 micro review:

Pros: A cable that is so nice you get orgasms just by looking at it.
Very good sound.

Cons: Lack of front vents and associated issues (deal breaker for me, had I known I wouldn't have bought it)
Might be too bright for some.

Tonally I think it's resolutely but not exaggeratedly v-shaped leaning on the brighter side of things.

Biggest draw back is the lack of front vents and associated issues which are: 1) perfect seal impossible with silicon tips, 2) Quite terrible driver flex, worst I ever experienced, they flex by just opening the mouth or moving the head sometimes and of course always on insertion.

Dec 15, 2018 at 11:28 AM Post #71 of 89
Upset with your results... My perception of mids and upper mids is totally ok with those. Some other IEMs that I own do produce the same effect you are talking about - shouting. That is why I keep Anew U1 as my favorite. Either I am much less sensitive to this range than you are or there is a difference with the type of source. Both of my favorite DAPs (AP80 and AP200) are ok. What DAP are you using? Have you tried different eartips?

DAPs are iBasso DX120 and Shanling M0. The DX120 is pretty neutral. Tips I am using are silicons that came stock with campfire comets (U1 has a fairly large nozzle). Haven't tried foams. You are right that it might just be different ears - sensitivity to specific frequency ranges varies a lot from person to person - one of the reasons why we don't all like the same iems.

Dec 15, 2018 at 12:01 PM Post #72 of 89
DAPs are iBasso DX120 and Shanling M0. The DX120 is pretty neutral. Tips I am using are silicons that came stock with campfire comets (U1 has a fairly large nozzle). Haven't tried foams. You are right that it might just be different ears - sensitivity to specific frequency ranges varies a lot from person to person - one of the reasons why we don't all like the same iems.

So, the common DAP for both of us is Shanling M0. I don't like how it sounds and also got some other more neutral DAPs. My eartips are the smallest stock silicone from U1. We can both try the same setup with M0 and eartips and submit our feedback again... At least, we would know our sound perception difference.... :)

Dec 16, 2018 at 6:16 AM Post #75 of 89

good answer to this. www.head-fi.org/threads/chinese-asian-brand-info-thread-portable-headphones-and-iems.820747/page-1371#post-14655909

those people, who listened to those IEMs should confirm that the sound from his stand is kind of weird

I don't think much of clavenetjunkie's reviewing style - and the comparison demo is meaningless. You can't learn anything about a headphone by listening to a recording of it, through some other headphone connected to your computer. If you really want to know what a unit sounds like you have to stick it in your ears. No other way. However, his measurements indicate a spike in the presence region (he puts it around 5k) which does correspond to my subjective impression. Haven't seen any other graphs for the U1, but I will be curious to see if that is confirmed in other measurements. If measurements show it is there, that is presumably a deliberate tuning choice by the manufacturer - but a risky one. It can enhance vocal clarity and detail, but human hearing is super-sensitive in this range and it's easy to overcook it. Of course whether this is a flaw or a feature depends on your sonic preferences. Have to experiment with EQ to see whether it can be toned back a little.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back