Andromeda 2020 still relevant in 2023?
May 6, 2023 at 11:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Pietrone

Head-Fier
Hi!
I have read unhappy reviews about Emerald Sea.

I am a prog metal and metalcore (djent) lover and years ago when I was still a student I was looking for the right IEMs for it and many comments mentioned the legendary Andros 2020. I always wanted them and now I could get them. Are they still relevant in 2023? I wonder if that is the right pick of if I should instead go for Mammoth or Doraro only/directly.

The main question would be: are the Andros 2020 still one of the best purchase in 2023 or is out there anything better to buy nowdays making Andromeda not a benchmark anymore? Thank you all in advance!

May 6, 2023 at 2:38 PM Post #2 of 20
That’s a great IEM. I was fortunate to get lent one for an unforgettable month and I was enchanted by its out-of-your-head holographic stage. I’ve never heard antything like it before or after.

May 6, 2023 at 9:03 PM Post #3 of 20
Hi!

I am a prog metal and metalcore (djent) lover and years ago when I was still a student I was looking for the right IEMs for it and many comments mentioned the legendary Andros 2020. I always wanted them and now I could get them. Are they still relevant in 2023? I wonder if that is the right pick of if I should instead go for Mammoth or Doraro only/directly.

The main question would be: are the Andros 2020 still one of the best purchase in 2023 or is out there anything better to buy nowdays making Andromeda not a benchmark anymore? Thank you all in advance!

Depends a great deal on library and your DAC/Amp. The strength of these IEMs is soundstage imaging. Many IEMs, even around $500, are getting close, but I haven’t heard anything below the 64 Audio U12T that can match the illusion of instruments popping up in a 3D sphere within and around my head like the Andro 2020. They do have a few annoying weaknesses. Firstly, the bass is generally not great, though when you amping them up just right, they can sound totally acceptable. Secondly, these IEMs are generally “flat”, as if it makes the quieter parts of the music louder, so when you listen to classical recordings, you might find them a bit unengaging. Again, right amping can help. Finally, these IEMs are very picky. They make hissing noises with some high-power device, yet they want that extra power to sound punchy and dynamic. Most of the issues come from the impedance of the woofers, dropping all the way to less than 4ohm in the bass region.

If you are after that detailed, “3D” sound, I would say a discount Andromeda 2020 is a great deal. You can use the remaining fund for a new cable to improve the look, or get something like a Topping NX7/G5 to go with the IEM.

IMHO, Mammoth and Dorado are a waste of money. Just me, plenty people love the Dorado, but I don’t think it’s worth the price tag. If you want that bassy fun sound, just grab a 7Hz Legato with whatever leftover fund you have after the Andromeda.

May 7, 2023 at 12:26 AM Post #4 of 20
I still rock my Andromeda 2020s that I bought brand new when they were first released. They are my only IEMs and use them on the plane and elsewhere. I still prefer full size cans listening at home though.

May 7, 2023 at 6:46 AM Post #5 of 20
I still rock my 2020s and like them a lot. If you'd like something newer, the Dunu Sa6 (I have the ultra) sounds like a twin with better bass, no hissing but with the 3D soundstage secret sauce missing a bit. They fit like a custom but don't have the sturdiness of metal shells. The looks of the Andromeda are iconic imo, but I might be biased since I like green :)

May 7, 2023 at 7:31 AM Post #6 of 20
Yep I still listen to my og Andro's...but saying that a $200 pair of TXGear Serratus earbuds will beat them on most things including timbre, bass, mids and soundstage but I still do like Andro’s ethereal treble especially with Spiral Dots though👍

May 7, 2023 at 8:42 AM Post #7 of 20
I think it's fair to say that if they were still available they wouldn't be one of the best purchases new - other IEMs in the ~$1000 dollar space are much better overall (e.g. Thieaudio Monarch MkII, 64 Audio U4s). For the price you would be looking at on the used Market the Andromeda 2020s would be great value... But there's going to be other IEMs on the used market that would be better purchases (e.g. the Monarch MkII). I do think the Andromeda 2020s still have their place though. For me, there's nothing else that quite matches their ability to sound relaxed, engaging and detailed all at the same time. There are other IEMs with similar tuning that are much cheaper though (Dunu Falcon II, Tinhifi P1 Plus) that might be worth a shot if you're looking for that exact sound signature.

I still rock my 2020s and like them a lot. If you'd like something newer, the Dunu Sa6
I second this. The Dunu SA6 come awfully close to matching the Andromeda 2020s for much less. Another option might be the Symphonium Meteor but I haven't heard it so I can't comment.

FWIW for your situation I would recommend the Tangzu Wu Heyday edition. It's a planar so it's super technical and will work well for busier tracks. It's tuned to a relaxed neutral so it shouldn't get fatiguing. Plus it has a bass boost starting at ~300 Hz (vs a subass shelf) that will work very well for the rock genres you mentioned. It's an IEM that IMO no one can go wrong with but I think would work particularly well for what it seems like you might be looking for. Is it as good as the Andromeda 2020 overall? No. Is it better for some things? Absolutely. Is the Andromeda 2020 worth the price premium over a ~$200 IEM in 2023 (Heyday, Falcon, P1 Plus)... YMMV but I would say no.

May 7, 2023 at 9:44 AM Post #8 of 20
Hi!

What is your source?
The Andromeda 2020 is a very fussy IEM as it can hiss with sources with poor noise floor control, in addition to having its FR skewed if paired with sources with too high output impedance (due to the 12.8 ohm impedance).

While it has great imaging and soundstage, I don't really like the BA bass and timbre of this set.

The new Emerald Sea is quite muddy in the lower midrange (this is more thick than older Andromedas), and it still has BA timbre unfortunately.

Mammoth and Dorado are way overpriced, hard pass. For a similar price I would go for a Thieaudio Monarch Mk2 or Sony M9.

Another option might be the Symphonium Meteor but I haven't heard it so I can't comment.

Meteor is not as technically good in soundstage, micro-detailing, imaging etc compared to the Andromeda. Though the Meteor's BA bass sound quite close in rumble and decay to a DD bass, in that aspect it sounds more natural than the Andromeda.

Last edited:
May 7, 2023 at 10:36 AM Post #9 of 20
Hi!

I've owned the Andromeda 2020 twice and really enjoyed it. I'm not sure I would consider it a "benchmark" these days but I would wager it's still one of the best IEMs out there in terms of its somewhat unique balance of technicality and musicality...especially for the price you can get them for on the used market. I demoed the Emerald Sea and didn't particularly enjoy it. It was going for the sort of analogue and warm sound that imho is better left to DDs. The real question is what sort of sound you're after. I've never heard the Mammoth but the Dorado is one of the best IEMs on the market at any price if you're looking for a warm/analogue sound that's still decently technical. It's nothing like the Andromeda 2020 though. If you're keen on a BA set the Soundrhyme SR8 is something thats been attracting a lot of positive attention lately.

May 7, 2023 at 10:43 AM Post #10 of 20
Hi!

Since I listen to a lot of metal too, my reference iems are the sony m9, but I never tried andro, so can't tell if they are better or not

May 8, 2023 at 12:54 AM Post #11 of 20
For your music preference, I'm gonna suggest the Dorado. I admit I've not heard the Andro or Dunu 6, but they both have BA only drivers. They might present some bass extension, but BA drivers just can't move air like a Dynamic driver, giving you slam and more realistic kick drums, IMO. Dorado is a bit dark but great for prog metal.

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2023 at 3:25 AM Post #12 of 20
Hi, what is in your opinion the difference between Dunu SA6 mk2 and Andromeda 2019 or 2020? Recently I had opportunity to try Andro 2020 and I liked it but have not had a chance to compare it with Dunu mk2 which has more bass (at least as I have read :wink:. Thanks.

Dec 8, 2023 at 4:38 AM Post #13 of 20
Andromeda's remain relevant?

Big YES. 😀👍

And I think about the OG tuning (less mature but more exciting 🤘) and v2 shells... 😉

But :

- you need a very clean and low impedance output (near zero) for your dap...
- tips rolling : very important
- câble rolling : important

My 2 cts 😜

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2023 at 5:04 AM Post #14 of 20
Hi!

The Emerald Sea sounds more accurate and correct than the 2020 version which is the exact opposite of what a lot of audiophiles want. Most Audiophiles expect the lower mids to be recessed and the upper mids/treble to be pushed that everything sounds "Clear" and "Detailed" and ""Analytic""

The Emerald Sea sounds surprisingly close to an professional monitor and so gives and very authentic/realistic representation on how the music actually sounds.

And Music is designed to sound good/harmonic/pleasing and not analytic or clear. That means, for most songs, that music is warm and if you have an good monitor, it will sound as warm as the music sounds. But a lot of audiophiles consider that "muddy" because they can no longer hear the white noise from the amp as clearly as possible.

The Andromeda 2020 sound more like what audiophiles expect things to sound.

So for everyone who is asking themselves the exact same question I can only highly recommend to test these out by yourself and use the included Foam Tips (according to Campfire the reference) doing so as these are closed and every silicone tip will change the sound.

Dec 8, 2023 at 5:09 AM Post #15 of 20
About tips :

https://symbiow.com/

This model :

SYMBIO_TO_SERVE_vertical_light-scaled.jpg

At the time was by far my prefered choice with the Andro's :beerchug:

Never tested with my actual fav (my personal endgame, since a few years from now on ; see my signature) :

https://www.amazon.co.jp/-/en/CWU-GECL-Eartips-Isolating-Prevent-Enhanced/dp/B0991RL358?th=1

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back