Android phones and USB DACs
Nov 6, 2013 at 12:03 PM Post #3,392 of 9,526
Just to clarify ... Even a simple usb cable mini b to micro b seems to work with Notes 3, but it do not have the ability to make the switch from 16-bit 44 khz to 24 bit 96 khz.
To get the full functionality you must first obtain a otg cable as specified by SV_huMMer member.
I have a ODAC with galaxy note 3
Ciao

This statement comes as a great surprise to me! In no way am I trying to sound rude or anything, but I have to ask are you sure?

This contradicts my understanding (as well as the general consensus) that in order for an Android phone to interwork with a standard usb DAC it needs to enter the host mode, because a standard external DAC is a slave device, and needs a host. Until this post of yours, I knew of the only way to achieve it - connect an OTG cable with pins 4&5 shortened. What you say can mean three things: Note 3 has another way of sensing a slave device and launch the host mode; ODAC complies with newer rumoured Android DAC specs where DAC is a host; or your seemingly regular micro to mini cable has OTG wiring. Or, I am completely missing something very important in this whole thing. ..

Do you get same results with other usb dacs? Do u use stock music app in both cases?

Nov 6, 2013 at 12:31 PM Post #3,393 of 9,526

This statement comes as a great surprise to me! In no way am I trying to sound rude or anything, but I have to ask are you sure?

This contradicts my understanding (as well as the general consensus) that in order for an Android phone to interwork with a standard usb DAC it needs to enter the host mode, because a standard external DAC is a slave device, and needs a host. Until this post of yours, I knew of the only way to achieve it - connect an OTG cable with pins 4&5 shortened. What you say can mean three things: Note 3 has another way of sensing a slave device and launch the host mode; ODAC complies with newer rumoured Android DAC specs where DAC is a host; or your seemingly regular micro to mini cable has OTG wiring. Or, I am completely missing something very important in this whole thing. ..

Do you get same results with other usb dacs? Do u use stock music app in both cases?

Hmm ... I think so, but you make me the trouble that the cable used from me was an otg and maybe I've forgotten it to be an otg ....

I have too many cable that my error is possible.

When I return to home I have to try another cable....... thanks.

Do you have a note 3 ?

Anyhow I don't have the ability to make the switch from 16-bit 44 khz to 24 bit 96 khz with the cable I speaking about.

Pardon my english.

Nov 6, 2013 at 2:43 PM Post #3,394 of 9,526
Hmm ... I think so, but you make me the trouble that the cable used from me was an otg and maybe I've forgotten it to be an otg ....
I have too many cable that my error is possible.
When I return to home I have to try another cable....... thanks.
Do you have a note 3 ?
Anyhow I don't have the ability to make the switch from 16-bit 44 khz to 24 bit 96 khz with the cable I speaking about.
Pardon my english.

Hi, sorry for messing your calm up, but I really want to get it clearly. No, I don't have the Note 3, i have Galaxy S3. And thank you in advance for double-checking!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Nov 6, 2013 at 7:11 PM Post #3,398 of 9,526
Does anyone know if the pin layout is always the same in all Android phones?

I know that for Apple's 4-in layout the ground and mic pins are reversed, but I wasn't sure if ALL Android phones shared the same pin layout.

Nov 7, 2013 at 8:34 AM Post #3,400 of 9,526
Note 3, exynos working perfect with DACport LX , without UARP.

Nov 7, 2013 at 8:35 AM Post #3,401 of 9,526
Well...
I apologize for my error.
I used an otg cable thinking it was not an otg cable.
Pardon
wink.gif

Note 3 work only with otg cable.
ciao

thanks for your patience and for double checking! :)

I think this is what makes such threads really valuable - people do put effort into making the info reliable.

Nov 7, 2013 at 8:36 AM Post #3,402 of 9,526
Nov 8, 2013 at 8:04 AM Post #3,404 of 9,526
Nov 8, 2013 at 9:08 AM Post #3,405 of 9,526
  Nexus 5 > UARP > Aune T1 = working
Nexus 5 > HifimeDIY Android DAC = not working

(Will retest once Cyanogenmod roms come out for 4.4. They enable USB audio)

I can confirm the Nexus 5 to the HiFimeDIY Sabre (Tiny in my case) does not work.  Very sad but can't say I wasn't expecting it.  The Nexus 5 has a new DSP that is used for audio instead of the SoC that is meant to lower battery usage so I think it may have something to do with it not working.  

I would love to hear if someone can get a DAC working with the N5 without UARP (or even with UARP, I don't have the app so can't test if it would work with the N5)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back