Android phones and USB DACs
Nov 4, 2013 at 6:35 PM Post #3,377 of 9,526
lol.. I have stayed clear of iOS on principle completely so far basically because I like to have control over my devices. But even though I'm going to have to stick it out for the modders to patch Google's Failure, nnotis speaks the sad truth to so many of us on this thread, I'm sure.

The other platform has this down pat and Android is laughably and ridiculously dragging its feet.

Google has failed badly by continuing to omit this simple freaking feature.

Megasigh . . .

Nov 5, 2013 at 2:56 AM Post #3,379 of 9,526
  Don't think this was mentioned yet, but the Xperia Z1 is working fine with the E17 with just otg cable. Works perfectly fine with the Walkman app!

What kind of media can you play back? at What Sampling Rates? 

Nov 5, 2013 at 11:16 AM Post #3,380 of 9,526
lol.. I have stayed clear of iOS on principle completely so far basically because I like to have control over my devices. But even though I'm going to have to stick it out for the modders to patch Google's Failure, nnotis speaks the sad truth to so many of us on this thread, I'm sure

+1
Google should really fix this, though.

Nov 5, 2013 at 3:40 PM Post #3,381 of 9,526
some time ago i bought a galaxy note ii and also a hrt microstreamer and an usb otg cable. the usb audio with the standard samsung android 4.1 worked but only and always resampling everything to 44.1 khz 16 bit.

so i had a look at the available custon roms and the support for them and installed pacman rom android 4.3 which i liked most.

the bad news is that usb audio at the moment works only with full or zero volume and 44.1 khz 16bit..

the good news is that i shared the pacman rom community and posted a bug report / feature request for full usb audio support up to 192 khz 24 bit and now got some feedback so seems the pacman development team will start working on this issue.

the pacman rom is available for a lot of different devices, so hopefully i can post a message that full usb audio is working with that android custom rom in the near future.

Nov 5, 2013 at 4:04 PM Post #3,382 of 9,526

Quote:
  Never use Google Play Music for Lossless files (even AAC), they are transcoded to 320kbps mp3.

https://support.google.com/googleplay/answer/1100462?hl=en

“** FLAC, ogg, and aac files are transcoded to 320kbps mp3.”

should be read as follows:

FLAC music files are uploaded to a Google site, transcoded to 320kbps MP3 and stored on a Google site.

24/96 FLAC music file >> upload to Google site >> transcode to 320kbps MP3 music file >> store on Google site

320kbps MP3 music file stored on Google site >> Internet streaming >> Google Play Music player running on Galaxy Note 3 > 16/44.1 or 16/48 PCM stream >> USB OTG cable >> 24/96 capable FiiO E17 USB DAC/amp

24/96 FLAC music file stored on Galaxy Note 3 > Google Play Music player running on Galaxy Note 3 > 24/96 PCM stream >> USB OTG cable >> 24/96 capable FiiO E17 USB DAC/amp

24/96 FLAC music file stored on Galaxy Note 3 > stock music player of Galaxy Note 3 > 24/96 PCM stream >> USB OTG cable >> 24/96 capable FiiO E17 USB DAC/amp

24/96 FLAC music file stored on Galaxy Note 3 > Poweramp / Neutron music player running on Galaxy Note 3 > 16/44.1 PCM stream >> USB OTG cable >> 24/96 capable FiiO E17 USB DAC/amp

Poweramp / Neutron music player > legacy music framework AudioFlinger with 16-bit limitation > 32-bit capable ALSA USB audio driver > USB host driver
http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/3270#post_9886714

Google Play Music / Note 3's stock music player > new separate music framework without 16-bit limitation > 32-bit capable ALSA USB audio driver > USB host driver ??

new separate music framework = JACK2 = Professional Audio Framework ??
http://jack-audio.10948.n7.nabble.com/Jack-Devel-JACK2-for-Android-td17329.html
http://developer.samsung.com/samsung-mobile-sdk#professional-audio
http://jackaudio.org/

"Recently, Samsung released professional audio sdk on android platform which based on JACK2."

"Do you know when devices that support the Professional Audio Framework will be coming to market?"

"Currently, Galaxy Note3 and Galaxy Note10.1 2014 Edition"

Nov 6, 2013 at 7:30 AM Post #3,383 of 9,526
If I play any file higher than 44.1/16 thru glacier, the sound is distorted with Samsung media player.
If I open the file in any file browser app and open it with the Samsung media player it plays flawlessly.

Nov 6, 2013 at 7:50 AM Post #3,384 of 9,526
some time ago i bought a galaxy note ii and also a hrt microstreamer and an usb otg cable. the usb audio with the standard samsung android 4.1 worked but only and always resampling everything to 44.1 khz 16 bit.

so i had a look at the available custon roms and the support for them and installed pacman rom android 4.3 which i liked most.

the bad news is that usb audio at the moment works only with full or zero volume and 44.1 khz 16bit..

the good news is that i shared the pacman rom community and posted a bug report / feature request for full usb audio support up to 192 khz 24 bit and now got some feedback so seems the pacman development team will start working on this issue.

the pacman rom is available for a lot of different devices, so hopefully i can post a message that full usb audio is working with that android custom rom in the near future.

GG, Keept us posted on this very interesting news.  I have a centrance HiFi M8 LX to feed !

Nov 6, 2013 at 8:06 AM Post #3,386 of 9,526
Hi guys, just bought a note 3. I wonder if i wan to connect it to the odac,would i just need to buy a usb otg cable(is the 3.0usb port available?)to connect to the dac?

Yes, you'll definitely need the USB OTG cable. But, as most commercially available USB OTG cables are terminated with USB Type A Female socket, you will need another cable to connect your ODAC - a USB Type A to Mini. 

Alternatively, you may find a USB OTG Micro to Mini cable, but beware!!! This is not just a micro to mini usb cable! It has to explicitely say OTG. These are relatively rare. One example is Lindy Cables (you can google it). You need Micro to Mini OTG cable, with micro end being the host end, and the mini end being the device end. 

Nov 6, 2013 at 8:55 AM Post #3,387 of 9,526
  Yes, you'll definitely need the USB OTG cable. But, as most commercially available USB OTG cables are terminated with USB Type A Female socket, you will need another cable to connect your ODAC - a USB Type A to Mini.

Alternatively, you may find a USB OTG Micro to Mini cable, but beware!!! This is not just a micro to mini usb cable! It has to explicitely say OTG. These are relatively rare. One example is Lindy Cables (you can google it). You need Micro to Mini OTG cable, with micro end being the host end, and the mini end being the device end.

Just to clarify ... Even a simple usb cable mini b to micro b seems to work with Notes 3, but it do not have the ability to make the switch from 16-bit 44 khz to 24 bit 96 khz.
To get the full functionality you must first obtain a otg cable as specified by SV_huMMer member.
I have a ODAC with galaxy note 3
Ciao

Nov 6, 2013 at 8:58 AM Post #3,388 of 9,526
Just to clarify ... Even a simple usb cable mini b to micro b seems to work with Notes 3, but it do not have the ability to make the switch from 16-bit 44 khz to 24 bit 96 khz.
To get the full functionality you must first obtain a otg cable as specified by SV_huMMer member.
I have a ODAC with galaxy note 3
Ciao
Hmm...so if i get the otg cable specified by SV_huMMer, i will require only that one cable to use the odac?

Nov 6, 2013 at 9:13 AM Post #3,389 of 9,526

Users who are viewing this thread

Back