Android phones and USB DACs
Oct 16, 2013 at 6:35 AM Post #3,286 of 9,526
UARP updated to 1.2.8, happy to report: no issues with M2Tech HiFace DAC @ Galaxy S3 (stock).

Oct 16, 2013 at 8:15 AM Post #3,287 of 9,526
Thanks SV! Crossfingers will update mine... 

Update: Yep it plays! Still with minor glitches (on my Xperia Z), but no compaints! 

Oct 16, 2013 at 1:59 PM Post #3,288 of 9,526
Hi everyone, I have question regarding combo setup between android phone and USB DAC/AMP. Anyone notice a huge battery drain from such setup? I use the Galaxy S4 paired with Ibasso D-Zero to play XBA-40. Everything works great, easy to set up and sound amazing. However, I notice a huge battery drain from such setup, measuring 15% per hour of music playback with minimal screen on.  I thought the D-Zero has its own battery and I even make sure the charge switch is turned off. I planned on upgrading into E17 also but now hesitate because of the ridiculous battery drain. Otherwise, I have to go a more expensive route buying a seperate DAP, which is either Fiio X3 or Ibasso DX50. They are 3 times more expensive than an E17 or D-Zero but offer much worse UI and lots of bug compare to S4 + DAC/AMP combo. Can anyone find a solution to solve my battery drain problem or you guys also experience the same? 

Oct 17, 2013 at 3:52 AM Post #3,290 of 9,526
The problem with you people is that no one is testing any musty fusty mould-collecting DACs.  Where are the bulky 16-bit asynchronous monoliths, I'd like to know. 

In this vein, I intend to flog an ancient out-of-production version of the micro-DAC from Tyll H.'s old company (but produced when he still worked there) with an S4 and post the results later this morning -- and all to no one's edification.  In this way, I hope to contribute little or nothing to our thriving cult.

Oct 19, 2013 at 9:32 AM Post #3,293 of 9,526
The "USB hub" workaround was used in order to avoid a HeadAmp Pico issue:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/608535/wolfson-dac-confirmed-for-galaxy-s3/750#post_8688938
"the international S3 requires an USB hub for it to work with the Pico, as it seems the hub is needed to sync the USB 1.1 connection to the usb 2.0 connection on the S3."

The Pico issue was fixed by HeadAmp
http://www.head-fi.org/t/608535/wolfson-dac-confirmed-for-galaxy-s3/720#post_8638606
http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/1305#post_9037872

Oct 19, 2013 at 9:52 AM Post #3,295 of 9,526
Does your Lenovo K900 work with a simple USB peripheral like a USB mouse using a USB OTG cable?

If it is the case, it could work with the Stoner Acoustics UD110 using a USB hub and the USB Audio Recorder PRO app.

Oct 19, 2013 at 10:00 AM Post #3,296 of 9,526
  Hi everyone, I have question regarding combo setup between android phone and USB DAC/AMP. Anyone notice a huge battery drain from such setup? I use the Galaxy S4 paired with Ibasso D-Zero to play XBA-40. Everything works great, easy to set up and sound amazing. However, I notice a huge battery drain from such setup, measuring 15% per hour of music playback with minimal screen on.  I thought the D-Zero has its own battery and I even make sure the charge switch is turned off. I planned on upgrading into E17 also but now hesitate because of the ridiculous battery drain. Otherwise, I have to go a more expensive route buying a seperate DAP, which is either Fiio X3 or Ibasso DX50. They are 3 times more expensive than an E17 or D-Zero but offer much worse UI and lots of bug compare to S4 + DAC/AMP combo. Can anyone find a solution to solve my battery drain problem or you guys also experience the same? 

If the charge switch of the iBasso D-Zero is turned to OFF position, the iBasso D-Zero becomes a self-powered USB DAC and should stop charging; else the charging of your iBasso D-Zero should be malfunctioned.

Bitzie USB DAC, a bus-powered USB DAC:
http://www.gspaudio.co.uk/bitzie-usb-dac-external-soundcard.htm
"USB DAC for Samsung Galaxy S3 Android Jellybean...7.5hrs continuous playing!"

Oct 19, 2013 at 12:23 PM Post #3,300 of 9,526
  thanks , is the function of the usb hub is to convert usb 1.x -> 2.0 so it can be used with the ud100 ? If so then all the usb 2.0 converter will work right ?

I'm not sure if they "convert" as such, since 2.0 also comes with data transfer improvements, but the thing with hubs is they can use one unpowered USB port on your computer or other device, then if it's hooked up to its own power supply (usually a USB charger) it can output up to the standard 5v through its ports. Search here for the hubs that actually worked, because not all of them are wired as such.

Alternately, there are USB cables that have the USB-B (micro) plug with a pigtail that you can hook up to a USB charger or a mobile power bank. Just make sure it's not the ones intended for older portable HDD's - those have the slave pigtail on the USB-A (host) end, that way it can get power off two USB slots on your computer (laptop usually).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back