Android phones and USB DACs
May 27, 2013 at 8:19 PM Post #2,387 of 9,526
That is a novel twist, when I had the GS3 it didn't work with the E17... 

Pah...

May 28, 2013 at 8:40 AM Post #2,388 of 9,526
I can confirm the GS4 doesn´t work with my ODAC, which worked beautifuly with the GS3. 
Very bad move from Samsung. Had I known before, I wouldn´t have bought this phone. If anoybody has a way to let them know how they screwed this up. Maybe there´s hope that they can fix this. 

May 28, 2013 at 12:21 PM Post #2,389 of 9,526
Stepping backwards is not hat is needed, though blaming the phone manufacturer seems a misdirection. The android operating system should easily and always support USB audio out....It is a failing of the operating system, not the phone.

May 28, 2013 at 3:31 PM Post #2,390 of 9,526
Quote:
I can confirm the GS4 doesn´t work with my ODAC, which worked beautifuly with the GS3. 
Very bad move from Samsung. Had I known before, I wouldn´t have bought this phone. If anoybody has a way to let them know how they screwed this up. Maybe there´s hope that they can fix this. 

http://developer.samsung.com/forum/board/thread/view.do?boardName=GeneralB&messageId=227582&startId=zzzzz~

We could post on the Samsung Developers forum a request to fix the ODAC – S4 interworking with maximum possible data like:
. USB descriptors of the ODAC
. ODAC - Galaxy S3 dmesg log output
. ODAC - Galaxy S4 dmesg log output

I can provide the USB descriptors of the ODAC and the ODAC - Galaxy S3 dmesg log output.

About dmesg:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/675#post_8824757

Quote:
... if one audio device works with an Android device, then usually all known-to-work audio devices work on that Android device as well.

As the Galaxy S4 using USB Audio Recorder PRO can work with the CEntrance DACmini, and as the Galaxy S3  using USB Audio Recorder PRO can work with the ODAC, the Galaxy S4 using USB Audio Recorder PRO could likely work with the ODAC.

May 28, 2013 at 5:00 PM Post #2,391 of 9,526
Quote:

I have many Android devices, but I use the XPeria Z as my phone indeed. It's the best Android device for USB audio I have. Records 18 channels of 24-bit simultaneously! :) Not important for HiFi people, but it shows how good it is. I haven't tested it with the microstreamer, but if one audio device works with an Android device, then usually all known-to-work audio devices work on that Android device as well.

there might be some exception as the ESI Dr dac nano works with the nexus 7 but didn't work with my Z, even with USBAR PRO.
Still the "power hungry" message from the phone.
As the microstreamer is usb powered i'm not shure it could work with the Z but we already know the Z works with the dragonfly (with usbar pro) wich is also usb powered.

May 29, 2013 at 7:31 AM Post #2,392 of 9,526
Quote:
Simply email me at info AT audio-evolution.com for any issue you have.

Thanks !

It’s good to know for fellow forum members who will have a DAC issue with their Android device using USB Audio Recorder PRO.

I'm not sure if it has up/down control. Usually, it's the other way around: the device has a physical up/down knob and the software gets a trigger when you press it. Anyway, they talk about volume control: I cannot check here, but I assume the mixer tab shows the volume control you mentioned?

I don’t have a HRT microStreamer.
As far as I understand, the HRT microStreamer can be used as a headphone amplifier/DAC, and it doesn’t have a volume control knob: its volume can be adjusted by USB HID-capable music playback software.
http://www.usb.org/developers/devclass_docs/Hut1_12v2.pdf

Edit: a fellow forum member has just informed me that the volume control of the mixer tab can adjust the sound volume of his Sabre ES9023-based HiFiMeDIY Sabre:
"Volume Level is controlled by the normal volume control keys on your computer."
http://hifimediy.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=83

Quote:
USB Audio Recorder PRO 1.2.0 is released with support for the HRT microstreamer. Perhaps more DAC's that were recognized but didn't play or played silence may work now, so let me know if yours does. Also added a 'Next song' button and the files in the play list directory are now played back alphabetically sorted.

I also did some more investigation in adding a service that other music players can use to stream their audio through USB and it is looking good.

Thanks!
A big step forward!

As far as I am concerned, the USB Audio Recorder PRO player is perfect if a shuffle play mode is added:
. Actual "one-after-another" play mode: N = N + 1
. Shuffle play mode: N = N + random number

To my ears with a Galaxy S3, an ODAC, a Neco Soundlab V3 amp and Mad Dog headphones, the USB Audio Recorder PRO is the highest sound quality music playback software in comparaison with Neutron and Poweramp, thanks to its large buffers (?).
http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/1080#post_8968882
And I’m not the only one.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/2175#post_9373681

May 29, 2013 at 12:13 PM Post #2,394 of 9,526
I know it was not possible at start but can usb audio recorder pro be used in background now ?
without this it is not very convenient as you can't do anything else with your phone while listening music, and the screen on consume power in adition to the dac :s.
I think shuffle is very good but background is also very important.
Is there a chance to see this in usb ar pro or should we wait the music player that will use the " usb audio recorder pro service" instead ?

May 29, 2013 at 2:08 PM Post #2,395 of 9,526
Quote:
I know it was not possible at start but can usb audio recorder pro be used in background now ?
without this it is not very convenient as you can't do anything else with your phone while listening music, and the screen on consume power in adition to the dac :s.
I think shuffle is very good but background is also very important.
Is there a chance to see this in usb ar pro or should we wait the music player that will use the " usb audio recorder pro service" instead ?

On my Asus  tf700 It crashes if I try to run it as a background service or even turn off the screen, but it works perfectly on my Sami Note2.

May 30, 2013 at 12:23 AM Post #2,396 of 9,526
I bought an Galaxy S4 1337m, (leet i know) version. I have tested it out with an USB OTG cable to a NuForce UDAC-2 and it doesn't work. The music appears to play on the player but i do not receive any volume through the dac/amp. I put CM 10.1 and tried it as well and it doesn't work. USB Audio Recorder Pro does work although 1/2 of my library is in mp3 so I can't really use it, nor is there a random feature as discussed above. Seeing how it works with USB Audio Recorder Pro makes me think this will be available in the future.

Is it wrong to think that with a vanilla OS when the Google S4 gets released that USB audio out will work with a non-Google S4 flashed with its kernal (is that correct? or is it rom)

I will keep monitoring this forum in hopes that we get a fix.

May 30, 2013 at 10:58 AM Post #2,397 of 9,526
I can also confirm that the Samsung galaxy S4 does not play with the ODAC however it plays with the FiiO E7 and rest of my DIY DACs. Hope the next software upgrade fixes this glitch or a cheap workaround software is available soon.

May 30, 2013 at 11:17 AM Post #2,398 of 9,526
Not sure how to add data to the lists (any way someone could make some kind of sortable table or database), but I have tested the Samsung Galaxy Note II running Clean ROM.  Works standard with ODAC and Nuforce HDP.  Unfortunately, with the Resonessence Concero, the music plays way too fast.  This was all done with stock player.  

May 30, 2013 at 12:45 PM Post #2,399 of 9,526
Just got an S4 and ordered an OTG cable, hopefully it works perfectly with my E17. Hopefuly ill know very soon.

May 30, 2013 at 1:17 PM Post #2,400 of 9,526
A little background info, I originally purchased the HTC One but went through 5 of them due to their horrendous quality control. Glass popping up, gaps in the gapless design, just about every screen had at least one stuck pixel. It was just a headache, so I took it back for the S4. I had the S2 and S3 so I knew samsung had quality. My issue is that the One had a good, amplified headphone jack. Using the One with my headphones and hooked up in my car was incredible. That 2.55V headphone amp (http://www.engadget.com/2013/02/19/htc-one-hands-on-design-and-hardware/) truly made a big difference. But, as I stated I've had no luck with their build quality along with many others over on XDA. So, I decided to get a portable amp/DAC in order to take the audio quality out of the equation between the two phones. My true question is that when you connect an amp to the USB Audio out of the S4 does the DAC in the Fiio replace the Galaxy DAC? I've read that the E07K doesn't work right now with the S4 through the USB. If I get the E17 and plug it into the USB will it make a true difference? Compared to plugging the E07K in through the headphone jack. Also, would I need to purchase a micro to mini USB cable separately correct? Is there any certain variety of USB cable? Or are they all the same? Also, as far as Android goes, is PowerAmp the best option to make music sound better? I subscribe to Google Music All Access and upload my own files but if I get this amp I'll probably store locally on the S4. Sorry if this has been asked before, I looked through the S4 thread and didn't see too much. Also, if this isn't a good place to ask all this let me know and I can take it elsewhere. I tried in the Portable Amp section and no one responded. Thanks in advance!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back