Android phones and USB DACs
May 24, 2013 at 4:12 PM Post #2,341 of 9,526
Xperia Z & HeadAmp Pico:

stock Xperia Z > digital USB audio out >> USB OTG adaper cable + USB cable >> HeadAmp Pico USB DAC/amp >> AKG K702 headphones

May 24, 2013 at 8:36 PM Post #2,342 of 9,526
OK, update on the Padfone Infinity - USB audio works with the USB Audio Recorder Pro software.

May 25, 2013 at 2:38 AM Post #2,343 of 9,526
Quote:
Do you have the international version of the S3? 
Can you link me to the rom? Is it this one? http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1745003
Will this rom still work on the at&t s3? 
Thanks

That's the rom.  Surely there's a port of it on the AT&T S3, though probably not 3.55 yet.  i9300 users are lucky in that one of the main developers for Paranoid has the device.  So we get updates unusually fast.

May 25, 2013 at 2:53 AM Post #2,344 of 9,526
For anyone with the AT&T Galaxy S3 (Model I747), I just want to let you know that the ROM I'm running on mine has native support for USB audio output and works with my FiiO E07K. It's called RootBox and you can get it here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2083922

However, the USB audio support is a bit sketchy and there's a special procedure you have to follow to get the phone to properly redirect audio to USB. If you don't do it this way the phone will freeze and you will have to hard reboot.

1. Open your music player on the phone and pick a song you want to listen to.
2. Start playing the song with the audio being directed through the phone speaker (It can be muted; doesn't matter).
3. While the audio is playing connect your USB DAC.
4. The audio should pause on connection and reroute to the DAC.
5. Press play and enjoy!

I hope this helps anyone who is struggling to find a ROM for the AT&T S3 that supports USB DACs.

May 25, 2013 at 9:43 AM Post #2,345 of 9,526
USB Audio Recorder PRO 1.2.0 is released with support for the HRT microstreamer. Perhaps more DAC's that were recognized but didn't play or played silence may work now, so let me know if yours does. Also added a 'Next song' button and the files in the play list directory are now played back alphabetically sorted.

I also did some more investigation in adding a service that other music players can use to stream their audio through USB and it is looking good.

May 25, 2013 at 9:45 AM Post #2,346 of 9,526
Quote:
USB Audio Recorder PRO 1.2.0 is released with support for the HRT microstreamer. Perhaps more DAC's that were recognized but didn't play or played silence may work now, so let me know if yours does. Also added a 'Next song' button and the files in the play list directory are now played back alphabetically sorted.

I also did some more investigation in adding a service that other music players can use to stream their audio through USB and it is looking good.

Thank you for the great work and effort your putting into this project.

May 25, 2013 at 2:08 PM Post #2,347 of 9,526
Quote:
That's the rom.  Surely there's a port of it on the AT&T S3, though probably not 3.55 yet.  i9300 users are lucky in that one of the main developers for Paranoid has the device.  So we get updates unusually fast.

Yep, there is, but it's version 3.1something and doesn't have USB audio, I just checked. Super sexy ROM though. I've had to miss out on AOSP / CM goodies and be stuck with a Samsung based ROM, because that's the only one that supports USB audio :frowning2: Hopefully he'll port the 3.55 version to the AT&T variant soon! 

For anyone with the AT&T Galaxy S3 (Model I747), I just want to let you know that the ROM I'm running on mine has native support for USB audio output and works with my FiiO E07K. It's called RootBox and you can get it here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2083922

However, the USB audio support is a bit sketchy and there's a special procedure you have to follow to get the phone to properly redirect audio to USB. If you don't do it this way the phone will freeze and you will have to hard reboot.

2. Start playing the song with the audio being directed through the phone speaker (It can be muted; doesn't matter).
5. Press play and enjoy!

I hope this helps anyone who is struggling to find a ROM for the AT&T S3 that supports USB DACs.

Thanks! :D 

May 25, 2013 at 2:18 PM Post #2,348 of 9,526
Quote:
Thanks! :D 

You're welcome. I think you'll like that ROM. It's a mix of AOKP, Paranoid Android, and Cyanogenmod. Lots of great features and everything can be customized. Not to mention the guy that develops it is awesome.

May 25, 2013 at 3:36 PM Post #2,349 of 9,526
Quote:

It works fine on my Droid Razor HD to Fiio system. I still have the problem of having to restart the app to get it to play without distortion but when it clicks into working it works well...

May 25, 2013 at 6:37 PM Post #2,350 of 9,526
Quote:

Great, thanks!

May 25, 2013 at 6:48 PM Post #2,351 of 9,526
Quote:

5. Press play and enjoy!

I installed the rom, but this doesn't seem to be working. After I plug in the DAC (while the audio is playing) it pauses, but after I unpause it, no sound comes through my headphones. And then when I unplug the DAC, my phone freezes and I have to hard reboot. 

May 25, 2013 at 8:06 PM Post #2,353 of 9,526
FYI folks: major update to USB Audio Recorder Pro today - says it fixes the Headstreamer and *should* or *may* fix many other DACs that were previously not working.

May 25, 2013 at 8:52 PM Post #2,354 of 9,526
I can confirm that with the galaxy s4, the quad verizon variant only works with my Fiio e07k over usb with usb audio recorder pro, doesnt work otherwise. It seems to recognize it somehow, playing a track in the native music app and google play music makes it skip quite fast, sometimes 20 seconds per realtime second. Tried with usb charging on and off.

May 25, 2013 at 9:06 PM Post #2,355 of 9,526
Quote:

I installed the rom, but this doesn't seem to be working. After I plug in the DAC (while the audio is playing) it pauses, but after I unpause it, no sound comes through my headphones. And then when I unplug the DAC, my phone freezes and I have to hard reboot. 

Which DAC are you using and which media player are you using?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back