Android phones and USB DACs
Feb 21, 2013 at 7:40 PM Post #1,756 of 9,526
Quote:
I've had some success with using an Anker Astro3E USB battery with a few phones using USB Audio Recorder Pro. Using a USB HDD split power cable to connect my Dacport LX to the battery and to my Galaxy Nexus, the battery provides full power to my Dacport LX which is exactly what I wanted! I tried this with my Galaxy S III and to my surprise the battery actually charged the S III while providing power to the Dacport LX as well. Cool! I wonder if that's a hardware or kernel feature..?

It should be a hardware feature and a USB driver feature supporting the Accessory Charger Adapter or ACA described in the USB Battery Charging Specification.
http://kinetis.pl/sites/default/files/BC1.2_FINAL.pdf
http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/sllse80a/sllse80a.pdf

The ACA allows the Galaxy S III to be charged while communicating with a USB peripheral like a USB DAC when an external power source is connected to the USB peripheral and the Galaxy S III.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/405#post_8748466

Feb 22, 2013 at 3:51 PM Post #1,757 of 9,526
Anyone feel Neutron player has better sound quality through usb dac compared to poweramp? I am using Venturecraft Go Dap X with Note 2. No settings in Neutron player seems to make a huge difference.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Feb 22, 2013 at 6:23 PM Post #1,758 of 9,526
i prefer Neutrons sound sig over power amp, especially direct volume control is much better(note 2).Unlike most people, I like the ui too!

I decided to quit using usb dac for now, can't find a nice interconnect, like jpapertowels my cable connector got bent within a couple of days. I also found the playback kinda spotty, sometimes it started playing through the speakers, kinda embarrassing! Moving over to digizoid for now, gonna come back to dacs when I can find a nice interconnect. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Feb 22, 2013 at 11:24 PM Post #1,759 of 9,526
I use Venturecraft Go Dap X. It takes straight microusb to microusb connection. Never had any hiss or mishaps.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Feb 22, 2013 at 11:57 PM Post #1,760 of 9,526
NOTE 2 and HTC One X Plus owners.... I found after searching that this phone supports USB-DAC with the TouchWiz ROM.  Do any of you know if the AOSP ROM's like AOKP and CyanogenMod also support USB-DAC for this phone (without a patch)?

I'm getting frustrated with the lack of support on the Galaxy S3 AOSP ROM's.  

Feb 24, 2013 at 9:56 AM Post #1,762 of 9,526
can you give me a link to a HDD cable that fits your description.  i tried one of the dual USB cables and it may have been powering my dac/amp (not sure if i could figure out how to tell), but the charge idiciator showed it was not charging my T-Mo S3.

Thanks!
Quote:
I've had some success with using an Anker Astro3E USB battery ... Using a USB HDD split power cable to connect my Dacport LX to the battery and to my Galaxy Nexus, the battery provides full power to my Dacport LX which is exactly what I wanted! I tried this with my Galaxy S III and to my surprise the battery actually charged the S III while providing power to the Dacport LX as well. Cool! I wonder if that's a hardware or kernel feature..?

Feb 26, 2013 at 1:53 AM Post #1,768 of 9,526
hi,

anyone have confirmed that the Xperia Z is able for USB audio?

Feb 26, 2013 at 4:50 AM Post #1,769 of 9,526
Quote:
hi,

anyone have confirmed that the Xperia Z is able for USB audio?

Not that I'm aware of, being a Sony it should have USB OTG/host support, in which case worst case scenario should be that USB audio works via USB Audio Recorder.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back