Android phones and USB DACs
Feb 18, 2013 at 10:55 PM Post #1,741 of 9,526
Quote:
I bought the droid dna but I dislike its audio quality. I had an s3 with wolfson dac and I loved the sq it brought to the table. I was wondering what dac I could connect to my dna to make it sound better than the s3. My price limit is $150. The headphones I am using are the ue 6000's. 

The Stoner Acoustics UD100 is only $49, which you could pair with a Fiio E11 about $70.

Feb 19, 2013 at 12:26 PM Post #1,744 of 9,526
I discovered this over the weekend:

http://www.android.com/about/jelly-bean/

It discusses the upgrades from 4.1 to 4.2.  I'm curious as to if this line could be a big one for us:

"Support for USB audio docks."

I also found this on another site:

"Android 4.2 improves support for low-latency audio playback, starting from the improvements made in Android 4.1 release for audio output latency using OpenSL ES, Soundpool and tone generator APIs. These improvements depend on hardware support — devices that offer these low-latency audio features can advertise their support to apps through a hardware feature constant. New AudioManager APIs are provided to query the native audio sample rate and buffer size, for use on devices which claim this feature."

Your thoughts?

Feb 19, 2013 at 1:15 PM Post #1,745 of 9,526
Quote:
I discovered this over the weekend:

http://www.android.com/about/jelly-bean/

It discusses the upgrades from 4.1 to 4.2.  I'm curious as to if this line could be a big one for us:

"Support for USB audio docks."

I also found this on another site:

"Android 4.2 improves support for low-latency audio playback, starting from the improvements made in Android 4.1 release for audio output latency using OpenSL ES, Soundpool and tone generator APIs. These improvements depend on hardware support — devices that offer these low-latency audio features can advertise their support to apps through a hardware feature constant. New AudioManager APIs are provided to query the native audio sample rate and buffer size, for use on devices which claim this feature."

Your thoughts?

Interesting finding indeed, but what does it means in real life?

Feb 19, 2013 at 3:36 PM Post #1,746 of 9,526
I think it is rather for musicians and audio professionals looking to use Android to create and edit sound.
http://music.columbia.edu/pipermail/andraudio/2013-January/date.html#start
http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=3434&sort=-stars&colspec=ID%20Type%20Status%20Owner%20Summary%20Stars

Feb 19, 2013 at 8:06 PM Post #1,749 of 9,526
Not a phone, but I am working with a dev for my Toshiba Thrive Tablet getting USB audio to work. We (meaning him 
biggrin.gif
) got it to work....somewhat. My crappy USB soundcard that I use to use for gaming (as it has a mic input as well) works perfect. My Dragonfly lights up different colors but doesn't play anything but static. As it has a full USB port it can supply enough power to power any USB 2.0 compliant device so the only obstacle is software support which makes it a better candidate than many other Android devices.

Sadly even when it does work, the only app that will play so far is USB Audio Recorder PRO and it a.) it costs money and b.) is not really designed to be a music player. If you do have a Thrive lying around somewhere and would like it to be a hi-fi device it would really help if you flashed this and reported your findings in the thread. He needs more people giving him feedback before he can really do anything especially as he doesn't have anything to test with himself.

Feb 21, 2013 at 3:36 PM Post #1,752 of 9,526
AT&T Galaxy S3 AOSP ROM's tried.  All latest releases as of 2/21/13.

4.2.2 TASK AOKP
4.2.2 LiquidSmooth
4.2.2 ParanoidKANGdroid - could not get ADB access?!
4.2.2 Vanilla RootBox

The JackNorris patch didn't work in any of them.

If anyone has the LiquidSmooth 4.2.1 v3.2 ROM zip, could you let me know so I can have you upload it to my box.com account?  I lost it and it's the only good AOSP ROM that USB-DAC works in for d2att right now.  And it's not on the Internet to download anymore.  :frowning2:

Feb 21, 2013 at 4:54 PM Post #1,755 of 9,526
I've had some success with using an Anker Astro3E USB battery with a few phones using USB Audio Recorder Pro. Using a USB HDD split power cable to connect my Dacport LX to the battery and to my Galaxy Nexus, the battery provides full power to my Dacport LX which is exactly what I wanted! I tried this with my Galaxy S III and to my surprise the battery actually charged the S III while providing power to the Dacport LX as well. Cool! I wonder if that's a hardware or kernel feature..?

CM10.1 ROM on both phones. I sure hope that USB Audio Recorder Pro service app comes out sometime soon. The basic playlist feature isn't fond of my music folder structure. :frowning2:

Anyways, over at my college people have been eyeing me down, some with a look of panic on their face I'd say. It's only a matter of time before someone yells "BOMB!!!" - but hell, maybe they have. Not like I'd hear them anyway :)

Using that JKase USB OTG cable at the moment, waiting for a different brand one to arrive... I'd stay away from the JKase if you guys are buying OTG cables, this thing started to bend (and randomly cut out, crashing the phone while playing music) in the micro USB jack area immediately after I got it, and it likes to fall out of the jack too. :mad:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back