Android phones and USB DACs
Dec 18, 2012 at 3:30 PM Post #1,096 of 9,526
@longslong, I assume you're talking about either analog USB out or Davy's USB Audio Recorder Pro because, to my knowledge, CM10 does not support OS-wide digital USB output (to a DAC).

Dec 18, 2012 at 3:32 PM Post #1,097 of 9,526
Quote:
Lee, I love Linux, hence android for being open source, so anybody with the know how and a lot of work, can  almost do anything...
And this what eXtream was able to do.

In the end he did us something really appreciated in Audiophile community, and we should thank/support him for his great work.
In the end, we are the beneficiaries.

and his app almost costs as much as 2 drinks...so...
Do you agree/disagree with me guys?

Oh yes, I totally agree!

Quote:

Thanks for the compliment. Note that the purpose was for recording, but I will consider a play list.

I think the USB audio playback feature will be much more successful than the USB audio recording.
By the way, how about an automatic sample rate switching?

Quote:
A message from the Developer of "USB Audio Recorder Pro"

Let me try to explain. I'm using libusb to talk to USB devices from user space. 

Do you use asynchronous operation?
http://libusb.sourceforge.net/doc/api-synchronous.html

Thanks!

Dec 18, 2012 at 3:35 PM Post #1,098 of 9,526
Dec 18, 2012 at 3:37 PM Post #1,099 of 9,526
Quote:
A list of standard USB DAC reportedly interworking with the Android-powered smartphone Samsung Galaxy Note II:

. FiiO E07K Andes (USB DAC/amp):
http://www.headphiles.org/index.php?t=msg&goto=253249&
http://www.head-fi.org/t/638910/new-fiio-e07k-andes-information-and-impressions/15#post_8924515

A list of standard USB DAC reportedly interworking with the Android-powered smartphone Samsung Galaxy S III:  
stock Samsung Galaxy S III > digital USB audio out >> USB OTG cable (micro-A plug inserted in the S III) >> standard USB DAC >> amp >> headphones

. FiiO E07K Andes (USB DAC/amp): http://fiio.com.cn/product/index.aspx?MenuID=020302
http://www.head-fi.org/t/638910/new-fiio-e07k-andes-information-and-impressions/15#post_8924515

It might be premature to say that these are compatible. I've seen multiple reports of the E07K not working with these handsets here, in the E07K thread, and on Amazon. I know that I made a purchase decision based on this list showing compatibility with the GS3, but have not had success. It may be dependent on carrier ROM or some other variables.

Dec 18, 2012 at 3:46 PM Post #1,100 of 9,526
I just added "to be confirmed".
http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/1065#post_8967179

By the way, have you tried USB Audio Recorder Pro?

Could you provide a dmesg log output?
A dmesg log output could detail what is going on between your Galaxy S3 and your FiiO E07K.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/675#post_8824757

Dec 18, 2012 at 4:05 PM Post #1,101 of 9,526
Quote:
By the way, have you tried USB Audio Recorder Pro?

Could you provide a dmesg log output?
A dmesg log output could detail what is going on between your Galaxy S3 and your FiiO E07K.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/675#post_8824757

Not yet. I wasn't interested in Audio Recorder Pro as a solution because it wouldn't support app playback. I do 90% of my mobile music listening via Spotify and music podcasts on DoggCatcher. I may give it a try for testing purposes though.

Dec 18, 2012 at 6:18 PM Post #1,102 of 9,526
Unique Melody Platform Pure 6 & Samsung Galaxy S3 using USB Audio Recorder PRO:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/613417/unique-melody-platform-pure-6-pp6-discussion-appreciation-tour-thread/360#post_8965862

music stored on stock Galaxy S3 > USB Audio Recorder PRO player > digital USB audio out >> "USB OTG" cable >> Unique Melody PP6 > custom IEM

"You have no idea how happy I am right now."

Dec 18, 2012 at 9:12 PM Post #1,103 of 9,526
eXtream, please do consider adding more playback functionality.  Or a playback only app (even better).  I play mostly 320kbps MP3's and FLAC files.  Would happily donate to the cause!

Especially if your app can get me to be able to use a DAC with CyanogenMOD!  :)

Edit:  It actually does work on AOSP.  Or at least the AOSP ROM I just tried.

Dec 18, 2012 at 10:22 PM Post #1,104 of 9,526
Quote:
Just out of curiosity, tonight I flashed CyanogenMOD 10.1 and then installed USB Audio Recorder Pro.
Why?  When CM10 doesn't work with DACs?
Well, I read that USB Audio Recorder Pro had special drivers for the kernel.  I was hoping it would work better.

So when I ran the app without the USB-OTG cable plugged in, it complained that the device needed to be connected first.
So I rebooted.  Connected the USB-OTG which is connected to my UCA202 DAC.
Then started the app, which advised it was now connected via USB.
Located an MP3 which the app complained about.
Then located a FLAC and clicked "play".  But nothing happened.  So either I don't know how to use the app, or it's not helping that I was on CM10, or something else is up.

Update... I was playing a bad FLAC file.  A proper working FLAC played just fine.

Sorry guys, I gave bad info.  I gave this another try tonight and it worked fine.
I was just playing a corrupted FLAC before, so I didn't get any audio output.

USB AUDIO RECORDER PRO *does* work on CyanogenMOD to play FLAC's to my USB DAC.
Well, at least on AOKP 4.2 "preview" by Task/Ktoonsez with a Ktoonsez kernel.

Too bad the app doesn't play MP3's or I would be freakin ecstatic right now.
Has anyone figured out how to make it play MP3's?

Dec 19, 2012 at 12:52 AM Post #1,105 of 9,526
Quote:
Wishful thinking :). You'd have to use something along the lines of the DACport LX to even start to compare to the DX100 and you also have to take into account your amp section as well. So in the end, I highly doubt it. Pairing a good DAC and an amp will be bigger than the DX100 and most likely not sound better still :wink:. My DACport LX with the UHA6 MKII were on par with the DX100/T1 amp but still not better than that pairing. It took the Triad with the DACport LX to crush my DX100/T1 combo and even then I still find the combo still comparable in some aspects.

Thanks for your even tempered reply to my hotly worded post. I guess I am angling for some perfect solution that includes Jelly Bean and also sounds as good or better than the DX-100 and also makes phone calls. Can you talk about exact model numbers that might rival the DX-100. Preferably portable but desktop is okay also. It sounds like you are not finding solutions that have the DAC and the amp in one box, that in your view the best sound so far needs 3 boxes: phone + DAC + Amp. IMHO the Amp is the key factor here. Am I understanding you to say that the DACport LX without an outboard amp didn't put it over the top, but that the DACport LX has an adequate DAC, but just needs a solid 3rd box to serve as the amp. IMHO passthru of digital bits and DAC are not the critical factors, again it would be the amp. 

USB Audio Recorder Pro is quite interesting because our initial idea that "requires kernel mod" is proved wrong. I was all set to go get a Nexus 7 to use with USB Audio Recorder Pro but then I realized that, well I'd be committed to only that one music player. And it may not handle the music formats I want, or more importantly may not (yet) support DLNA to pull the music off the NAS and the LAN or even the WAN. 

We need to either get audiophiles to become Android hackers, or Android hackers to become audiophiles, then we can move the ball forward. Samsung seems to get it, HTC not so much. But even Samsung will likely never back patch their older phones. There, we have to rely on custom ROMs, and cyanogenmod seems like the big dog. That is the only way around the evil dogbert marketing hacks at Samsung... as https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.extreamsd.usbaudiorecorderpro notes "Unfortunately, Samsung S1, S2 and Note 1 devices are NOT supported because Samsung deliberetely blocks audio devices. S3 and Note 2 works though." Android hackers will "get it" and want to do the right thing. Marketing hacks at Apple and Samsung will want to shine us on and do the minimum, their goal is only to sell new phones period.

This does of course bring up the question of: USB Audio Recorder Pro, on CYANOGENMOD, on Note 1 and 2. I am emailing the USB Audio Recorder Pro guy.

EDIT: he reports that USB Audio Recorder Pro does work on Note 2 after all. The question remains about S1 S2 and Note1 on CYANOGEN. You know, once my cable shows up I can test on my wife's S1 which I put cyanogenmod on. When Samsung deliberately blocked audio devices, was that in software, or in hardware. And if merely in software does cyanogenmod get around the problem.

Dec 19, 2012 at 2:16 AM Post #1,106 of 9,526
Quote:
Thanks for your even tempered reply to my hotly worded post. I guess I am angling for some perfect solution that includes Jelly Bean and also sounds as good or better than the DX-100 and also makes phone calls. Can you talk about exact model numbers that might rival the DX-100. Preferably portable but desktop is okay also. It sounds like you are not finding solutions that have the DAC and the amp in one box, that in your view the best sound so far needs 3 boxes: phone + DAC + Amp. IMHO the Amp is the key factor here. Am I understanding you to say that the DACport LX without an outboard amp didn't put it over the top, but that the DACport LX has an adequate DAC, but just needs a solid 3rd box to serve as the amp. IMHO passthru of digital bits and DAC are not the critical factors, again it would be the amp. 

USB Audio Recorder Pro is quite interesting because our initial idea that "requires kernel mod" is proved wrong. I was all set to go get a Nexus 7 to use with USB Audio Recorder Pro but then I realized that, well I'd be committed to only that one music player. And it may not handle the music formats I want, or more importantly may not (yet) support DLNA to pull the music off the NAS and the LAN or even the WAN. 

We need to either get audiophiles to become Android hackers, or Android hackers to become audiophiles, then we can move the ball forward. Samsung seems to get it, HTC not so much. But even Samsung will likely never back patch their older phones. There, we have to rely on custom ROMs, and cyanogenmod seems like the big dog. That is the only way around the evil dogbert marketing hacks at Samsung... as https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.extreamsd.usbaudiorecorderpro notes "Unfortunately, Samsung S1, S2 and Note 1 devices are NOT supported because Samsung deliberetely blocks audio devices. S3 and Note 2 works though." Android hackers will "get it" and want to do the right thing. Marketing hacks at Apple and Samsung will want to shine us on and do the minimum, their goal is only to sell new phones period.

This does of course bring up the question of: USB Audio Recorder Pro, on CYANOGENMOD, on Note 1 and 2. I am emailing the USB Audio Recorder Pro guy.

The DACport LX is a pure DAC while the DACport is a DAC/Amp combo (both units are Class A and run quite hot). The DACport LX is the better unit IMO and is cheaper. The DACport Amp section is the weaker point of the unit and it impacts the sound quality. You get less transparency on the DACport than on the LX. Believe me the DAC plays just as big of a roll IMO as the amp can. The fact is the DACport LX didn't reach its full potential until I hooked it up to the Triad L3 (even that needs to be properly powered with a dedicated PSU to give you its full potential).

If the DAC really wasn't that important in the chain I'd have been happy with the UHA6 MKII DAC which is Cirrus Logics flagship DAC. Simply put the DACport LX crushes it with ease, just as the DX100 Sabre DAC does. Just no comparison at all IMO. The DAC will play a major roll just as the amp will. But in the end it isn't always about the specs which many people get wrong. It is also how those parts are implemented as a whole. Poor implementation of high quality parts can sound worse than low quality parts with great implementation. You are only as strong as your weakest link.

Dec 19, 2012 at 5:23 AM Post #1,107 of 9,526
Quote:
I think the USB audio playback feature will be much more successful than the USB audio recording.
By the way, how about an automatic sample rate switching?

Do you use asynchronous operation?
http://libusb.sourceforge.net/doc/api-synchronous.html

Thanks!

Yes, it uses async operation. And auto sample rate switching is indeed a good idea.

I've been thinking about the following: to minimize my amount of work, would it be an idea if I added a Playlist tab where you could see the playlists you have made (in other apps) and be able to play those?

MP3 decoding is patented, so in AEMobile I give people the option to download the codec on their own 'risk', but this codec doesn't play mp4's which people seem to be doing more and more. What I can do is use the API introduced in ICS or JB (don't remember which) to let the system decode the stream to PCM (which gets rid of any patent problems), but it's going to take some work and won't work on Android 3.x devices.

I ask for a bit of patience though, getting 96kHz to play is my first priority. More on Friday.

Thanks for all responses by the way, I appreciate it!

Dec 19, 2012 at 5:34 AM Post #1,108 of 9,526
HI eXtream,

I have a problem where if I minimize your app, the sound stops and the phone freezes for 30 seconds.I have to kill the app to get back to normal.

I am using a Note 2 with Omega ROM. Is this normal.

Dec 19, 2012 at 5:41 AM Post #1,109 of 9,526
Quote:
HI eXtream,

I have a problem where if I minimize your app, the sound stops and the phone freezes for 30 seconds.I have to kill the app to get back to normal.

I am using a Note 2 with Omega ROM. Is this normal.

Hi,

Doesn't sound 'normal', but background apps only get 5% cpu usage maximum which is what stops the sound. The 30 seconds freeze is likely to be caused by interrupts not being handled because the app doesn't run in a real-time thread. I could make an option to stop playback when the app loses focus?

Dec 19, 2012 at 5:46 AM Post #1,110 of 9,526
I didn't get the "app loses focus".

Does that mean when its running in the background playing music?

I am happyto be able to use it as it is if I could only run it in the background.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back