Android phones and USB DACs
Nov 5, 2012 at 2:59 AM Post #736 of 9,526
but there is no mention of galaxy note 2 , 1 or 2 pages back , there is only mentions of nexus 7 working with fiio e17 with a custom kernel . There is no direct answer to my question

Nov 5, 2012 at 4:35 AM Post #737 of 9,526
Quote:
but there is no mention of galaxy note 2 , 1 or 2 pages back , there is only mentions of nexus 7 working with fiio e17 with a custom kernel . There is no direct answer to my question

One user here claimed that a developer friend enabled it for their S3, however to my knowledge that mod was never shared and nobody else has ever had it work (yep, basically I'm calling BS on that person).

Nov 5, 2012 at 9:49 AM Post #738 of 9,526
Hi,
 Can you guys help me pick out a good sounding DAC for the money for my S3? If its a DAC/AMP thats better but my major concern is a good DAC. I am new to all this but i know my way around the Roms and Kernels. thanks.
 For now i will be driving Atrio Mg7s (iems), V-moda M80s and maybe in the future the HD650's..
I appreciate your time, please help me out.

Nov 5, 2012 at 10:25 AM Post #739 of 9,526
- can 24/192 kHz be outputed from the S3 to the DAC or are we limited to ridiculous values such as 16/48 kHz ?
- does the SOLO -dB DAC work with the S3 ( it's main marketing is iPhone, but the new versioni also has à standard USB imput for PC & Mac)
Thank in advance

+1, I am wondering this too, does anybody know the answer to these questions?

Nov 5, 2012 at 10:30 AM Post #740 of 9,526
Hi,
 Can you guys help me pick out a good sounding DAC for the money for my S3? If its a DAC/AMP thats better but my major concern is a good DAC. I am new to all this but i know my way around the Roms and Kernels. thanks.
 For now i will be driving Atrio Mg7s (iems), V-moda M80s and maybe in the future the HD650's..
I appreciate your time, please help me out.

Start by defining if you need the DAC or DAC/AMP to be portable or transportable or Desktop.
From the result look at the list of know DAC or DAC/AMP posted from Danba

http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/660#post_8820225.

From that list just look for some posted review on this forum using the search engine.

Hope this help :D

Nov 5, 2012 at 3:51 PM Post #741 of 9,526
Yes, the Galaxy S3 and Note 2 on stock software work with the USB DACs in DanBa's lists.
Custom kernels and the patches/mods you're talking about add new features over and above what the stock Samsung software and kernels has.

So... Asuming that I use a DAC (like raysamuel's Intruder) that is well supported by the Stock Galaxy S3 or Note 2, what "new features over and above " will the "Custom kernels and the patches/mods" bring to me ?

-> Will it allow to crack the stupid 16/48 kHz limitation and reach 24/192 kHz ( if the DAC support it... Which the Intruder don't :frowning2: !

Also,
-> could it allow to use at 24/192 kHz the Solo -dB DAC that is designed for iPhone or MacBook only ?

Nov 5, 2012 at 4:46 PM Post #743 of 9,526
Nov 5, 2012 at 6:08 PM Post #745 of 9,526
Quote:
Ebay is your friend …
http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-Mini-B-5-Pin-male-to-Micro-5pin-male-Adapter-cable-/270803395745

That isn't a OTG host cable, won't work. The place I linked to is the only place I have found with a host cable that terminates in a mini USB connection at what is usually the female end.

Nov 5, 2012 at 6:25 PM Post #746 of 9,526
If the description "Connectors: USB mini A male, Micro-B male" is precise, it won't work.

The insertion of a Micro-B plug in a Galaxy S3 / Note 2 / Nexus 7 / OTG device will switch the Galaxy S3 / Note 2 / Nexus 7 / OTG device in the USB peripheral mode, and this USB peripheral can't interwork with another USB peripheral such as a USB DAC.

The insertion of a Micro-A plug in a Galaxy S3 / Note 2 / Nexus 7 / OTG device will switch the Galaxy S3 / Note 2 / Nexus 7 / OTG device in the USB host mode so that this USB  host can interwork with a USB peripheral such as a USB DAC.

Nov 5, 2012 at 6:29 PM Post #747 of 9,526
"eXtream Software Development has managed to get USB audio recording working on Android 3.1 or higher devices! By writing a custom USB audio driver from scratch, both USB audio playback and recording will be possible for a lot of USB audio standard compliant devices.

The driver will completely bypass Android including Android's incapable audio system. The advantages of USB audio and our driver are plenty:

* Finally you will have decent connectivity to your Android device: connect mics with XLR, line inputs, instrument levels inputs, depending on your USB device

* Playback and record in 16 or 24 bit

* Lower, but more important, predictable latency that can fully and automatically be compensated for

* Zero-latency monitoring on the devices that support it

* Control hardware level input gain on the devices that support it

* Multitrack recording capability

The USB audio recorder will be available as a stand-alone app and the USB audio driver will be available as an in-app purchase in our flagship multitrack audio sequencer, Audio Evolution Mobile. Currently, only USB audio spec 1.0 is supported, but this will be solved in a subsequent release. Both USB 1.1 and USB 2.0 devices will be supported however.

Requirements will be an Android 3.1 or higher device and the device must support USB 'host' mode. Most recent devices have 'host' mode luckily. If your device has a micro-USB port, you can connect to full-size USB using a so-called USB OTG cable. No rooting of your device is required.

Testers wanted:
If you are interested in a pre-release alpha version and meet the following requirements, please send an email to info AT audio-evolution.com:

You have one or more Android devices that meet the requirements
You have one or more USB audio devices
You are fluent in English writing
You usually answer to emails within 2 days"
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=363102&sid=9bca34c06e839d7458f2fa6ae8a1bc3a

"Ok, so far I've got the following devices working:

Lexicon Omega
Lexicon Alpha
iMic
Behringer UCA222
M-Audio Fast Track

Note that probably a lot more devices are working, but I simply cannot afford to buy them all. Just like the M-Audio Fast Track that I got in this week: I just plugged it in and it worked!"

A standard USB DAC reportedly interworking with the Android-powered smartphone Samsung Galaxy S III:
stock Samsung Galaxy S III > digital USB audio out >> USB OTG cable (micro-A plug inserted in the S III) >> standard USB DAC >> amp >> headphones

. Behringer UCA222 (USB DAC/amp):
http://www.behringer.com/en/Products/UCA222.aspx
http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f6-dac-digital-analog-conversion/usb-audio-enabled-android-powered-samsung-galaxy-s-iii-12338/#post171651

Nov 6, 2012 at 1:17 AM Post #748 of 9,526
Quote:
"eXtream Software Development has managed to get USB audio recording working on Android 3.1 or higher devices! By writing a custom USB audio driver from scratch, both USB audio playback and recording will be possible for a lot of USB audio standard compliant devices.

The driver will completely bypass Android including Android's incapable audio system. The advantages of USB audio and our driver are plenty:

* Finally you will have decent connectivity to your Android device: connect mics with XLR, line inputs, instrument levels inputs, depending on your USB device

* Playback and record in 16 or 24 bit

* Lower, but more important, predictable latency that can fully and automatically be compensated for

* Zero-latency monitoring on the devices that support it

* Control hardware level input gain on the devices that support it

* Multitrack recording capability

The USB audio recorder will be available as a stand-alone app and the USB audio driver will be available as an in-app purchase in our flagship multitrack audio sequencer, Audio Evolution Mobile. Currently, only USB audio spec 1.0 is supported, but this will be solved in a subsequent release. Both USB 1.1 and USB 2.0 devices will be supported however.

Requirements will be an Android 3.1 or higher device and the device must support USB 'host' mode. Most recent devices have 'host' mode luckily. If your device has a micro-USB port, you can connect to full-size USB using a so-called USB OTG cable. No rooting of your device is required.

Testers wanted:
If you are interested in a pre-release alpha version and meet the following requirements, please send an email to info AT audio-evolution.com:

You have one or more Android devices that meet the requirements
You have one or more USB audio devices
You are fluent in English writing
You usually answer to emails within 2 days"
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=363102&sid=9bca34c06e839d7458f2fa6ae8a1bc3a

"Ok, so far I've got the following devices working:

Lexicon Omega
Lexicon Alpha
iMic
Behringer UCA222
M-Audio Fast Track

Note that probably a lot more devices are working, but I simply cannot afford to buy them all. Just like the M-Audio Fast Track that I got in this week: I just plugged it in and it worked!"

A standard USB DAC reportedly interworking with the Android-powered smartphone Samsung Galaxy S III:
stock Samsung Galaxy S III > digital USB audio out >> USB OTG cable (micro-A plug inserted in the S III) >> standard USB DAC >> amp >> headphones

. Behringer UCA222 (USB DAC/amp):
http://www.behringer.com/en/Products/UCA222.aspx
http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f6-dac-digital-analog-conversion/usb-audio-enabled-android-powered-samsung-galaxy-s-iii-12338/#post171651

Does that mean finally the E17 can work with S3 with this app??

Nov 6, 2012 at 2:36 AM Post #749 of 9,526
Thanks so much for the heads-up DanBa, I have emailed them about being a tester. Hopefully they will let me on the testing crew.

Nov 6, 2012 at 2:48 AM Post #750 of 9,526
So... Asuming that I use a DAC (like raysamuel's Intruder) that is well supported by the Stock Galaxy S3 or Note 2, what "new features over and above " will the "Custom kernels and the patches/mods" bring to me ?
-> Will it allow to crack the stupid 16/48 kHz limitation and reach 24/192 kHz ( if the DAC support it... Which the Intruder don't :frowning2: !
Also,
-> could it allow to use at 24/192 kHz the Solo -dB DAC that is designed for iPhone or MacBook only ?

Does someone has the answer to my question So that I can be in peace :). ?
Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back