Android phones and USB DACs
Aug 30, 2012 at 11:24 AM Post #257 of 9,526
have a quick question regarding this.. i recently upgraded my samsung infuse (with wolfson dac and voodoo sound enabled kernel) to a galaxy s3.. of course, disappointed with the quality of the audio.
im considering selling the infuse and purchasing an E7 from fiio to use with the galaxy S3.
my question is, would the s3 with an E7 potentially sound better than the infuse?

Aug 30, 2012 at 6:25 PM Post #260 of 9,526
Hi b-rad,

I don't know anything about the mod, it has been mentioned by another user here a few pages back, but no details released that I am aware of (also responded to your PM, which had a few other questions).

Aug 30, 2012 at 6:56 PM Post #261 of 9,526
Quote:
Galaxy s3 supports many usb functions, including audio out, right out of the box

Ah yes of course. I was thinking about the compatibility of the USB DAC. I mean some people wasn't able to get UCA202 working so I thought it's maybe because of the ROM. But from what it seems, perhaps they were just using the wrong cable, or maybe I got a bit lucky. :D

Aug 30, 2012 at 7:09 PM Post #263 of 9,526
I have already tried the E17 with my international S3 - no go.

Would be interesting to see another person try though, since the experience with the HeadAmp Pico seems to vary on international S3s...

Aug 30, 2012 at 8:47 PM Post #264 of 9,526
While it's not a phone, my Exynos powered Galaxy Note 10.1 tablet works with both my HifiMan HM-601 and HM-801 with no problems, settings changes, tweaks, or anything.
My HeadAmp Pico and Pico DAC both require a powered USB cable or hub to work, or I get the High Powered USB error.

Also don't forget to plug in the USB cable into the audio device and OTG adapter Before plugging into the phone / tablet.

-Ed

Aug 30, 2012 at 9:20 PM Post #265 of 9,526
Quote:
While it's not a phone, my Exynos powered Galaxy Note 10.1 tablet works with both my HifiMan HM-601 and HM-801 with no problems, settings changes, tweaks, or anything.
My HeadAmp Pico and Pico DAC both require a powered USB cable or hub to work, or I get the High Powered USB error.

Also don't forget to plug in the USB cable into the audio device and OTG adapter Before plugging into the phone / tablet.

-Ed

Wow, interesting. The HeadAmp Pico USB DAC/amp works with the Galaxy S3 US variants and seems to have variable results with the international one. Strange that a tablet would give a high powered USB error (assuming those Picos have an internal power supply like the USB DAC/amp one does?).

Aug 31, 2012 at 12:23 AM Post #267 of 9,526
I have already tried the E17 with my international S3 - no go.

Would be interesting to see another person try though, since the experience with the HeadAmp Pico seems to vary on international S3s...

Yup, saw your blog post before. :) but a previous post in this thread has a link to a customer review in Amazon UK claiming that he was able to get E17 working. Same goes for my Behringer UCA202. Someone else has tried it before but it didn't work.. Let's just see what happens and hope it would work. I'll be picking the E17 in a while. :-D

Aug 31, 2012 at 10:42 AM Post #269 of 9,526
You were using a "OTG" style of USB cable, right? I just thought I should ask, because all of the DACs that *have* been found to work with the GS3 require an OTG USB.

I'd love to have a E17 if it works with the phone, too, but until then I'm rockin' out with the GS3 > ODAC > O2 combo. It sounds fantastic but is a bit bulkier than I'd like, even with the ODAC+O2+batteries all in one original O2 enclosure.

Quote:
*picking up
Got the E17 and it didn't work LOL..

Aug 31, 2012 at 10:56 AM Post #270 of 9,526
From what I understand a USB otg cable is required. Not sure why though. I purchased a micro USB to mini USB cable and nothing happened. I have a go vibe mini USB dac, and it only works with the otg cable, plugged into the USB to mini USB cable..kind of excessive and unnecessary in my opinion. One cable running from device to device would be nice but I could only get it working with two cables

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back