Android phones and USB DACs
Apr 5, 2012 at 6:07 AM Post #31 of 9,526
Quote:
There is a Android 4.0 project called ALSA (Advanced Linux Sound Architecture) source code which could allow 24 bits / 192 kHz. But this is only a project, not a reality. 

A lot of stuff are projects in the open source software world, like "Android – An Open Handset Alliance Project".
http://code.google.com/p/android/

Android relies on Linux for core system services such as driver model. The Linux kernel acts as an abstraction layer between the hardware and the rest of the software stack.

Advanced Linux Sound Architecture or ALSA is a Linux kernel component.
http://thewelltemperedcomputer.com/Linux/AudioArchitecture.htm

Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich includes the ALSA source code which can be compliant with USB audio class 2 devices allowing for 24 bits / 192 kHz:
https://bitbucket.org/paulobrien/android_kernel_galaxynexus/src/bc4f9b72a51d/sound/usb/card.c

android_kernel_galaxynexus / sound / usb / card.c: "USB Audio Driver for ALSA"

The Android software is able to support USB audio class 2 devices allowing for 24 bits / 192 kHz.
If the hardware is able to support 24/192, it remains to enable the USB audio feature with proper configuration settings.

Apr 9, 2012 at 1:33 AM Post #33 of 9,526
I'm tired of waiting for this issue, and I don't want to be a guinea pig. I have already ordered a Windows Tablet. We all know that it works.

Apr 10, 2012 at 12:23 AM Post #34 of 9,526
I can't blame you, Pingfloid, but I could never stoop to that level. :>

I'm a linux / open source guy at heart, so that's why i'm eyeing specifically the upcoming Vivaldi tablet from Aaron Seigo & his team. It's going to run pure free and open source software all throughout with a KDE-based, tablet-oriented interface called Plasma Active atop a linux system called Mer. I expect to run any number of excellent music players already in existence, outputting to a USB dac without any issue in short order, with this guy.

Android seriously needs to get a clue on this issue. It really does seem too weird at this point that it continues to be glossed right over.

Apr 10, 2012 at 2:08 AM Post #35 of 9,526

Quote:
 i'm eyeing specifically the upcoming Vivaldi tablet from Aaron Seigo & his team.

That is a cute tablet. I am wondering why they don't add a S/PDIF output... 
rolleyes.gif

Furthermore, I don't understand why the manufacturers of new mini laptops and tablets do not include Audio Digital Output anymore. Even the cheapest laptop in the old times had SPDIF. Sometimes not with a dedicated connector, but as an Optical Output hidden inside the 3.5 mm headphone jack.

If someone knows this Aaron Seigo, please kindly ask him to add S/PDIF, and I am sure that he will have a legion of audio enthusiasts interested on it
smile.gif

Apr 10, 2012 at 9:55 AM Post #38 of 9,526
I believe it will support driving a USB DAC because

1. it has a USB host port.
  2. the usb_audio driver is a standard part of the linux kernel, and this device will run standard linux.
  3. aseigo confirmed for me on IRC that it "should" work out of the box.
  4. if it doesn't work, myself or someone else will make it work.

So I suppose we won't *really* know if it is going to work the way we want until it's happening in front of us, but I am almost certain it's going to work just fine.

The downside is that it only has 4G of storage, so I'll be relying on a 16G microsd card, a mounted volume over the network, or perhaps a USB hard drive if I can use a USB hub to split the host port between that and a DAC...

And this tablet is based on a very cheap chinese tablet called the Zenithink C71, and they're not putting anything into it that they don't have to. You're definitely not going to see any spdif connections on this first gen device. We're all just thrilled to see someone taking the open source ideals to a real-like product that is actually coming to market.

Apr 10, 2012 at 9:57 AM Post #39 of 9,526
If he is going to call it Vivaldi, it should support High Definition Audio (192 kHz/32-bit quality) :smile:

:popcorn:

I think the main limitation there might just be the CPU. I bet it would take some serious horsepower to decode such a file comfortably... I just love the idea of running pure linux on a tablet. Hopefully it does really well, and future products are significantly more kick-ass.

Apr 10, 2012 at 1:10 PM Post #40 of 9,526
Apr 12, 2012 at 5:24 AM Post #41 of 9,526
Got my Archos G9 Turbo tablet yesterday, USB audio working with my E17. Haven't had much time to put it through it's paces, but thought people here might like confirmation of that.

Apr 13, 2012 at 3:07 AM Post #42 of 9,526
Well scrypt. pingfloid, and especially you DanBa, THANKS!  for all your efforts. You guys were certainly well ahead of me on this critical issue. Some of the responses you got Dan Ba annoyed me so much that I started a rant/thread on portable source devices tonight, "Does being a portable audio enthusiast make us stupid?" 

Really, we've got buggy, expensive HiFi Man units, ipads with phallic appendages attached, dumpster scrounging for 5.5s to imod, $500 CLAS and HP1s to mine for a digital signal, etc. etc. etc. What a pile of CRAP!!! 
angry_face.gif
 It would be SO easy for them to give this to us!! I ended my rant by saying what anybody who has even heard of Washington, D.C. knows all too well. The only way to get anything through is by advocacy/lobbying. So I thought, who better than a guy like Jude. We put money in his pocket by using the forum. I'm sure he quotes membership figures to his advertisers. Does anyone know him well enough to email him. Or tell me and I will. Meet with Google, meet with Apple and if they refuse, well Windows phone here I come. And with a pc, laptop, xp, Windows 7 and maybe 8, they sure as hell better give it to me! It really baffles me how sheeple are willing to go to ridiculous lengths to find a solution when the slickest, easiest one is staring them in the face.
 Really Guys, I'm on board. Let's get this thing rolling. I will be happy to contact Jude, Tyll, etc.
Cheers! Rob

Apr 13, 2012 at 3:15 AM Post #43 of 9,526
After getting my DX100, my personal need for usb DAC support in Android is absolutely gone. However, I will still be telling everyone and their mother to support this, as I am a raging Android fanboy and this would really be a cool feature to have.

Apr 13, 2012 at 9:35 AM Post #44 of 9,526
I wasn't following along on the DX100, but holy crap -- $829 ?! I'm going to pass at that price...

Apr 13, 2012 at 10:23 AM Post #45 of 9,526
I wasn't following along on the DX100, but holy crap -- $829 ?! I'm going to pass at that price...

That was my initial response as well, but eventually I caved in. Here's the kicker: I actually, genuinely believe it to be worth at least twice that amount. Coming from a huge fan of the Fiio E10, that's saying a lot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back