Android phones and USB DACs
Feb 28, 2018 at 9:47 PM Post #9,196 of 9,526
Pc(
So haven't plugged it into my phone yet, it's charging now, but I plugged it into my desktop, and jesus these things have volume. I generally have to turn my PC up to maximum volume. With this I don't.
Now I am curious, should I turn my PC to 90% volume or so and control the volume through the DAC or is it ok to turn the volume up on the DAC and control it through the PC?
Otherwise, I love how much more full of a sound I'm getting from this. Felt like I was listening to a more muddy song through my PC where my car always sounded more articulate, granted those speakers/amp setup is dedicated vs my phone/pc having no dedicated focus on audio.

Is there anything like this that stacks? I guess I need the battery, this drained my battery quite fast :) (Still need to do a full test). I honestly think I could live with it though If I could also charge my phone at the same time. Might leave it connected my PC if I don't plan on getting a better Desktop DAP. If I can get 6-8 hours of battery life with this connected to my phone I really don't mind. Just will quick charge after. This sounds great. Especially with the KZ ZS6. Great headphones.
PC(software volume) being fed to the DAC should be as close to Max as possible. Control the volume on the DAC.

Mar 2, 2018 at 12:20 PM Post #9,197 of 9,526
When I play music through Google play music, my sabaj da3 shows the 44.1khz but on Amazon music and apple music it shows 48khz. Does it mean that Google play music is bypassing the Android SRC?

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2018 at 10:24 AM Post #9,198 of 9,526
New Android user here so sorry for the noob question:

I have recently got a cheap Android phone, hoping that it works as a transport. The intention was to use it to feed my Chord Mojo, but apparently it does not work (or I don't know how to make it work).

The phone is an Alcatel OneTouch Icon Pop 2, and the stock OS is 4.4 Kitkat. Tried Onkyo HiFiPlayer and Hiby.

I tried what I believe is the OTG cable from my KSE1500 but the Mojo is not identified. Also tried to pair the phone with my KSE1500 DAC/AMP, and it did not work either. Also do not seem to work with my AKG N90Q, which has its internal dac.

I read it somewhere that perhaps USB Audio Player Pro would work? The app is more expensive than more phone (hehe), but I will give it a try if I got your confirmation.

Thanks!

Mar 9, 2018 at 11:00 AM Post #9,200 of 9,526
New Android user here so sorry for the noob question:

I have recently got a cheap Android phone, hoping that it works as a transport. The intention was to use it to feed my Chord Mojo, but apparently it does not work (or I don't know how to make it work).

The phone is an Alcatel OneTouch Icon Pop 2, and the stock OS is 4.4 Kitkat. Tried Onkyo HiFiPlayer and Hiby.

I tried what I believe is the OTG cable from my KSE1500 but the Mojo is not identified. Also tried to pair the phone with my KSE1500 DAC/AMP, and it did not work either. Also do not seem to work with my AKG N90Q, which has its internal dac.

I read it somewhere that perhaps USB Audio Player Pro would work? The app is more expensive than more phone (hehe), but I will give it a try if I got your confirmation.

Thanks!

I have USB Audio Player Pro (UAPP) used with a circa 2014 Tegra Note 7 tablet attached to a Meridian Explorer2 DAC via a USB OTG cable. It is able to stream MQA and HiFi files from Tidal. The setting in UAPP is simply to allow a Bitperfect stream from the tablet into the DAC. My Tegra is Android 4.3.

I also have a FiiO X5III but it is unable to stream or play through the Meridian in UAPP other than a hashy distortion no matter what the setting/tweak in UAPP. This is a known issue though with the FiiO and USB audio.

Go on YouTube as there is one video where a guy gets his phone/DAC combo to work with UAPP in order to stream Tidal MQA. Don't remember what the phone is but the DAC was the Meridian Explorer2. Also you can check some of the reviews of UAPP in the Google play store as people make comments about their hardware and how it works with UAPP.

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2018 at 11:03 AM Post #9,201 of 9,526
Some phones do not support OTG? Didn't know that. But a quick Google search shows that two Alcatel models (including the Pop 1) do work with OTG...

Should I try other apps like Roon and Tidal, or it won't make any difference?

Mar 9, 2018 at 11:48 AM Post #9,202 of 9,526
Some phones do not support OTG? Didn't know that. But a quick Google search shows that two Alcatel models (including the Pop 1) do work with OTG...

Hi-

I'm fairly new to this myself and my only direct experience in the USB audio area is with the Tegra Note 7 Android tablet and FiiO X5III digital audio player (this one is not a phone but a dedicated music player and it is known to have issues with USB audio via OTG cable).

Most Android phones/tablets will work in the regular USB OTG cable scenarios like data transfer, etc., but USB audio is where it gets sticky and you have to have the right software player in order to utilize it.

My Tegra tablet is a standard Android device (quite similar to a phone with a given Android) and has no problem with audio through via the USB Audio Player Pro Android (UAPP) software. I guess it would also work with Hiby or Onkyo but I got UAPP so I could stream Tidal and get decoded MQA files via the Meridian Explorer2, as UAPP has a dedicated set up that allows you to stream Tidal. It's a bit clunky but it works .

It's probably only possible through trial and error to see if your particular phone/DAC combo will work with UAPP in USB audio mode. I guess you found out re Hiby and Onkyo but I guess it's possible there's a tweak somewhere in either player that might still do the trick..

I think UAPP is quite a capable software player and you might have better luck with it than Hiby or Onkyo with your hardware. UAPP has a list of compatible hardware--you could see if your is listed. My Tegra wasn't there but the Meridian was and my combo did work. They can't test everything so if yours isn't there it might still work. The worst case is you blow $9.99 trying. And if it doesn't work you can spend some more money on a hardware setup that you know will!

I don't know if the Tidal Android app itself will work via USB in an otherwise USB audio-capable phone. I think I tried with my setup and there wasn't any way to port the Tidal app output via USB. It had to stay inside my devices. The only way to get Tidal output from USB in my case was to stream it through UAPP. Roon is getting into a whole other area that I don't have any expertise with.

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2018 at 4:54 PM Post #9,203 of 9,526

If your phone indeed supports OTG, than the issue is your cable

Mar 17, 2018 at 9:01 AM Post #9,204 of 9,526
Goes anyone have any recommendations for a cable which would connect a Samsung galaxy note 8 to a chord mojo? I believe it needs to be usb c otg to micro usb (non otg). Anyone have any expirence with this?

Mar 17, 2018 at 10:36 AM Post #9,205 of 9,526
Goes anyone have any recommendations for a cable which would connect a Samsung galaxy note 8 to a chord mojo? I believe it needs to be usb c otg to micro usb (non otg). Anyone have any expirence with this?
This should do the trick

Mar 17, 2018 at 11:04 AM Post #9,206 of 9,526
Mar 24, 2018 at 9:44 PM Post #9,208 of 9,526
Hi is anybody find a good working solution for Q1 mk2 charging by the Android phone? I am using V30+ with USB C, I have made a USB C OTG cable that charge the Q1 mk2 with only 5% of the current in normal, so I can enjoy the music without killing my phone battery.
This will still leave a problem that you have to unplug the cable when you not using the Q1 mk2, otherwise your phone will still charge in around 10mA to the Q1!

Mar 24, 2018 at 9:46 PM Post #9,209 of 9,526
Hi is anybody find a good working solution for Q1 mk2 charging by the Android phone? I am using V30+ with USB C, I have made a USB C OTG cable that charge the Q1 mk2 with only 5% of the current in normal, so I can enjoy the music without killing my phone battery.
This will still leave a problem that you have to unplug the cable when you not using the Q1 mk2, otherwise your phone will still charge in around 10mA to the Q1!

Yeah someone linked a cable sold on ebay that doesn't charge the Q1ii. Its few pages back I think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back