Android phones and USB DACs
Oct 21, 2016 at 3:41 AM Post #8,434 of 9,526
I really hope UAPP can live on. Its a huge part of my audio experience for running Dac/Amps from a Lenovo tablet. I also think the User interface is excellent on a big screen. I tested mine and it seems to be working but I want the app back so we can continue to enjoy the benefits and excellent interface. Let's hope things go smooth. 

Oct 21, 2016 at 4:14 AM Post #8,436 of 9,526
Oct 21, 2016 at 4:27 AM Post #8,437 of 9,526
Quite a good outcome, I only found out 30 minutes ago and returned to see everything now well.

My stash of Valium can be used another day. 

Oct 21, 2016 at 5:42 AM Post #8,438 of 9,526
+1 mine too

Congratz! That was a real scare....

On a side note:

Tested again the new version of Neutron MP (just for the benefit of the doubt) last night. Both PCM and DSD, varied genres.

UAPP is still king on my ears.

Uninstalled again. 

Oct 21, 2016 at 6:20 AM Post #8,439 of 9,526
Oct 21, 2016 at 8:04 AM Post #8,440 of 9,526
Needs more attention in the wider world.
I thought Neutron was the Bee's knee's. I only got it because I had some play store money....The best thing about my phone is UAPP shame more people don't know...and good luck for the future.
Thanks
Dave

Oct 22, 2016 at 1:58 AM Post #8,441 of 9,526
I have a very annoying issue:

I think somehow either a permission or a preference from the Android USB Audio driver became corrupted.

I had just purchased the Onkyo HF Player and its unlock apk. I tested my DAC with the free version and it worked fine. I unlocked the pro features and they worked fine as well. I also accidentally clicked on the "Allow this app to connect by default" when the DAC was initially plugged in.

I re-downloaded Hibymusic as well, but couldn't get it to play through my DAC. No matter, I thought, and I rashly uninstalled HF Player without clearing the defaults. This led to a world of hurt.

I can normally only get Hibymusic to play through the DAC via the Android USB Audio driver. Whenever the connection popup appears, I would click Cancel instead of OK. If I clicked OK and routed the app to the DAC, I would get no sound. Cancel, I surmised, routed the app to the system USB Audio driver and then to the DAC, which worked fine.

I wanted Onkyo for the real-time DSD128 conversion of PCM. Pretty nifty feature for a mobile app.

Anyway, I digress. Now, I can't get sound to play out of any app through the DAC, except USB Audio Player Pro, which I downloaded and has its own driver. When I plug in the DAC with UAPP active, I select OK and the app's driver handles the music fine and we're OK. I'm not using UAPP because of the lack of PCM to DSD conversion.

Here's where things get interesting. I tried rebooting the phone with the DAC connected. In doing so, I lose all system sound through the speaker and headphone jack. I think the system thinks it is routing the audio to the DAC, and still is doing so after I unplug the DAC. However, nothing's actually getting to the DAC. So regardless of whether or not the DAC is plugged in, I get no sound, neither through the DAC, speakers nor HP jack. The only place I do get sound is through the DAC via UAPP's USB Audio driver and app.

So what happens when I boot and the DAC isn't connected? I get speaker and HP jack sound back. I also still have DAC audio through UAPP driver. However, DAC audio through Android USB Audio is still a nono. I get nothing from Hibymusic and even when I plug in the DAC, it still plays music through the speakers.

In UAPP, there's a setting to play music through Android and a setting to use UAPP driver for DAC. With the 1st setting enabled and the second setting disabled, the behavior mimics Hibymusic, which leads me to believe it's a Android USB Audio Driver issue.

Onkyo HF Player also uses its own driver, but can't even see the DAC when it's plugged or unplugged. When I plug in the DAC with Onkyo HF Player open, the Hibymusic app icon shows up saying USB device connected. Using Onkyo to scan for USB devices turns up nothing. When I uninstall Hibymusic and then open Onkyo and plug in my DAC, nothing happens. Onkyo just can't see the DAC any longer. When I open Onkyo after booting with no DAC connected, it plays music through the Speaker and HP Jack. No amount of fiddling with the Onkyo USB Driver options amounts to anything, it just doesn't see the DAC connecting at all.

This situation is pretty frustrating.

I'm hoping someone either knows a fix for this situation or a way to reset the Android USB Audio driver or to fix what permission / preference became corrupted.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

HP Jack for me in the meantime.....damnit.

Oct 22, 2016 at 3:18 AM Post #8,442 of 9,526
@Roen -  In settings/Applications/(App) try clearing the defaults for each of the affected apps this should leave you having to choose what to do whenever you plug your DAC in. Don't check the box for 'default action', you should now be able to use your DAC in any of the apps.

Oct 22, 2016 at 3:20 AM Post #8,443 of 9,526
@Roen
 -  In settings/Applications/(App) try clearing the defaults for each of the affected apps this should leave you having to choose what to do whenever you plug your DAC in. Don't check the box for 'default action', you should now be able to use your DAC in any of the apps.

Done prior to the post, but no help.

I think it's an issue with the android USB audio driver itself, but that's a guess.

Oct 22, 2016 at 3:31 AM Post #8,444 of 9,526
Done prior to the post, but no help.

I think it's an issue with the android USB audio driver itself, but that's a guess.

Have you uninstalled UAPP/Hiby/Onkyo and then cleared the cache?

Failing that backup and factory reset. Is the phone rooted, because in theory you shouldn't be able to do anything at a system level if you aren't rooted.

If all else fails and it is a corrupted audio driver then it would be a reflash of the rom.

If you have enabled Dev mode and are running Marshmallow you could try manually changing the USB configuration to 'audio'.

Oct 22, 2016 at 3:45 AM Post #8,445 of 9,526
Have you uninstalled UAPP/Hiby/Onkyo and then cleared the cache?

Failing that backup and factory reset. Is the phone rooted, because in theory you shouldn't be able to do anything at a system level if you aren't rooted.

If all else fails and it is a corrupted audio driver then it would be a reflash of the rom.

If you have enabled Dev mode and are running Marshmallow you could try manually changing the USB configuration to 'audio'.

Clear cache didn't work.

Trying backup and factory reset now. Oy.

Phone is rooted, Slimroms 6, 6.0.1, TWRP, Systemless SuperSU + suhide.

Not enough free space so I'm just going to nuke the damn thing and start over. Fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back