Android phones and USB DACs
Oct 3, 2015 at 2:44 PM Post #7,261 of 9,526
The new Fiio Q1 works natively with meizu mx4 pro,oneplus one and Sony Z1 compact.

Oh and sounds terrific!!!
beyersmile.png

Oct 5, 2015 at 8:17 AM Post #7,262 of 9,526
Hi All, 

I need to get a new mobile today, as I sold my Note 3. Now I am torn between the Note 4 and the new Sony Z5, which I had a look at yesterday and is solid and rather nice. 

My Note 3 worked flawlessly with my iBasso DZero Mk 2 and my Arcam rPAC, so I am hoping that the Z5 is usb otg friendly. Price wise they are about the same?

Cheers, Jim 

Oct 6, 2015 at 3:07 AM Post #7,263 of 9,526
  Geek Out V2 works with UAPP, battery drain is extreme though, this was todays portable rig:

Music controls via the Pebble Time Steel.

Have a TRRS to 4-pin XLR adapter at home too, the Ether sounds pretty amazing from the balanced output of the GOV2.

Really looking forward to the GOV2+, which will work with other players and solve the battery drain issue.

Did you compare the LH Labs Geek Out V2 to the McIntosh MHA100 or any desktop headphone amp pairing with the McIntosh MHP1000 headphones?
Thanks.

Oct 6, 2015 at 3:16 AM Post #7,264 of 9,526
I've not yet compared, hopefully going to get time one evening this week, but time is a difficult commodity to come by for the present!

Oct 8, 2015 at 3:39 AM Post #7,266 of 9,526
By the way, how about "Samsung Galaxy Note 4 + LH Labs Geek Out V2 + McIntosh MHP1000" vs. "Samsung Galaxy Note 4 + LH Labs Geek Out V2 + MrSpeakers Ether C"?

Thanks

Coming up as soon as I get my Ether C!

Oct 8, 2015 at 10:45 AM Post #7,267 of 9,526
I am really enjoying the Audioquest dragonfly 1.2 with my AS 2.5 Customs. The HP out of Note 3 doesn't hold a candle. However, the dragonfly doesn't have a built-in battery so the drain is way too much, it will drain a % per 2-3 mins if I just keep it plugged in. I suspect the bright LED is a culprit too. What are my other options, with battery? I want to keep the size as small as possible. Really digging the dragonfly sound signature, so something that sounds as good will be preferred. Budget 200-250 ish, don't mind used. 

Oct 9, 2015 at 8:57 AM Post #7,268 of 9,526
  I am really enjoying the Audioquest dragonfly 1.2 with my AS 2.5 Customs. The HP out of Note 3 doesn't hold a candle. However, the dragonfly doesn't have a built-in battery so the drain is way too much, it will drain a % per 2-3 mins if I just keep it plugged in. I suspect the bright LED is a culprit too. What are my other options, with battery? I want to keep the size as small as possible. Really digging the dragonfly sound signature, so something that sounds as good will be preferred. Budget 200-250 ish, don't mind used. 

The smallest in this price range AND with the battery I can think of is iFi iDSD Nano (way bigger than the Dragonfly though and requires a (rather) rare USB Type B OTG cable (or a clumsy adapter). 

I own and use this one, and it sounds absolutely gorgeous for the size and price, and IMO, WAY better than the original dragonfly.

Another option would be LhLabs GeekOut V2+, although I have never heard it, and it's twice the cost of the iFi. But it is relatively small and has a battery. 

Oct 9, 2015 at 9:14 AM Post #7,269 of 9,526

Try HRt DSP. It is small, and sounds very good. It has no battery but it does not need it, its power consumption is hardly bigger than the phones own headphones out. And it is a lot cheaper than that. 

Oct 9, 2015 at 1:14 PM Post #7,270 of 9,526
Thanks, I ended up getting an Oppo HA2, jumped on a good deal in BST. Seems slim enough to stack with my Note 3 nicely. Hopefully will sound as good as the dragonfly. 

Oct 9, 2015 at 4:10 PM Post #7,271 of 9,526
Thanks, I ended up getting an Oppo HA2, jumped on a good deal in BST. Seems slim enough to stack with my Note 3 nicely. Hopefully will sound as good as the dragonfly. 

I think it does, better even. Slightly less brash, more refined sound. I find the bass boost horrible though.

I notice you seem to be sequentially buying all the stuff I have, I'd recommend getting the CMA800R monoblocks next :)

Oct 9, 2015 at 5:09 PM Post #7,272 of 9,526
I think it does, better even. Slightly less brash, more refined sound. I find the bass boost horrible though.

I notice you seem to be sequentially buying all the stuff I have, I'd recommend getting the CMA800R monoblocks next :)

Haha, nice coincidence. Not surprised though since we frequent the same threads :). I've been tempted by the monoblocks, but the m11 is serving very well so far. May be we can do a swap in future :wink:

Oct 9, 2015 at 6:16 PM Post #7,273 of 9,526
Haha, nice coincidence. Not surprised though since we frequent the same threads :). I've been tempted by the monoblocks, but the m11 is serving very well so far. May be we can do a swap in future :wink:

I live in New Zealand, so gear swaps will probably be difficult.

Its good to find someone here who enjoys the same gear though, helps you sift through opinions on gear.

Oct 13, 2015 at 4:57 AM Post #7,275 of 9,526
My centrance dacport lx works flawlessly with usb audio player pro despite costing over $10. 
Lg g3 > otg cable > Dacport lx > Jds c5 

Nice!

I got the Huawei P8max yesterday, sadly not enough power out of the USB port to power the Geek Out V2 (Samsung's phones have always given higher power to USB OTG devices), and also I think no/little USB audio support in general. My HA-2 works with USB Tweak 1 in UAPP though, so still workable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back