Android phones and USB DACs
Jul 28, 2015 at 1:36 AM Post #6,976 of 9,526
My LG G4 operates fine with the Headstage 5P and the HRT dsp DACs. No need for UAPP. Use it a lot with RDIO streaming.
Audio out (3.5 connector) sounds terrific with my Shure SE846.
Just rooted the G4 and now can use the Viper4Android which enhance the music experience with bot DAC and direct audio.

Jul 28, 2015 at 1:36 AM Post #6,977 of 9,526
Yes, bring your DAC, OTG cable and earphone. I do this when shopping for a phone.

Jul 28, 2015 at 5:34 AM Post #6,978 of 9,526
I'm not sure if this is the right thread to ask this question. But let me ask you guys here. I am planning to buy a new smart phone as my source. Now I have Galaxy A3 A300H as a source, and my DAC/AMP using is ifi micro iDSD. The phones I am seeing right now is LG G4 (because of its expandable memory up to 128gb and also has a 32gb internal) but I dont know if I can use USB audio in this phone, Samsung Galaxy S6, and the HTC M9. If you have other recommendation its very welcome! Thank you!

LG G4 works perfectly with the Apex Glacier too.

Jul 28, 2015 at 5:52 AM Post #6,979 of 9,526
Jul 28, 2015 at 6:16 AM Post #6,980 of 9,526
  I'm not sure if this is the right thread to ask this question.
It is.

But let me ask you guys here. I am planning to buy a new smart phone as my source. Now I have Galaxy A3 A300H as a source, and my DAC/AMP using is ifi micro iDSD. The phones I am seeing right now is LG G4 (because of its expandable memory up to 128gb and also has a 32gb internal) but I dont know if I can use USB audio in this phone, Samsung Galaxy S6, and the HTC M9. If you have other recommendation its very welcome! Thank you!

My Sony Xperia Z2 works flawlessly with various DACs (Geek Out 450, HRT dSp, iFi iDSD) and practically every app under the sun. I run Android Lollipop 5.0.2

Jul 28, 2015 at 7:17 AM Post #6,981 of 9,526
  My LG G4 operates fine with the Headstage 5P and the HRT dsp DACs. No need for UAPP. Use it a lot with RDIO streaming.
Audio out (3.5 connector) sounds terrific with my Shure SE846.
Just rooted the G4 and now can use the Viper4Android which enhance the music experience with bot DAC and direct audio.

"Never going DAP again.."

-Lindsey Buckingham
wink.gif

Jul 28, 2015 at 9:06 AM Post #6,982 of 9,526
The way things are heading I think my next Android is almost certainly an LG.

It has a removeable battery too which sadly is becoming a selling point for phones 
rolleyes.gif

Jul 28, 2015 at 4:32 PM Post #6,983 of 9,526
It has a removeable battery too which sadly is becoming a selling point for phones :rolleyes:

I still prefer removable battery and SD slot, ideally. Options there becoming limited, I hope LG retains it as a point of differentiation.

Jul 28, 2015 at 5:19 PM Post #6,984 of 9,526
I still prefer removable battery and SD slot, ideally. Options there becoming limited, I hope LG retains it as a point of differentiation.

Same for me! It was one of the two major reasons why I decided on the G4 over anything else (the other being a nice discounted price). It's a wonderful phone in general though and I highly recommend it! It's camera is amazing for taking pics of headphones 
biggrin.gif

Jul 29, 2015 at 7:43 AM Post #6,986 of 9,526

My Sony Xperia Z2 works flawlessly with various DACs (Geek Out 450, HRT dSp, iFi iDSD) and practically every app under the sun. I run Android Lollipop 5.0.2

Does it also work with TIDAL/Spotify and does it upsample files from 16/44 to 16/48 or 24/48? Cheers

I have not tried it but I am sure it does, as it reproduces even netradio via USB-OTG. Upsampling is a Lollipop feature, if you want to avoid it you must use third-party apps like UAPP.

Jul 29, 2015 at 11:10 AM Post #6,987 of 9,526
I was able to get my new to me (preowned) Audio GD (we think) model NFB-11 working using USB Audio Pro app + Samsung Galaxy S3. It was straight forward - seems about 98% stable. Ever so often maybe once every 2 hours (random) I hear a small glitch or stutter for around 3 seconds which corrects itself without any help, I don't know if its the app or the dac/amp causing the small error. I also tried with Hiby music app briefly but will test further after their next update.

I can't express how great it is having these apps and Android devices. It saves me needing to lug a laptop next to my bedside  for the dac/amp etc etc..

Jul 29, 2015 at 11:40 AM Post #6,988 of 9,526
Hello everybody,

I am new to this forum. I must confess I am utterly pissed off but the "upgrade" to Lollilop in my Xperia Z2 phone. With the previous firmware, some clever audiophiles at Sony included a purist "Hi-Res USB Audio out" in the Sound menu that allowed non-resampled 44.1khz out, bypassing Android´s sound engine. It was a fantastic option that worked perfectly for Qobuz (or for the guys with Tidal). As you know, it´s not possible to use UAPP with those streaming services.

Now that audiophile option is gone with the current firmware, and Sony doesn´t seem to care a fig. Anybody knows if some other phone includes anything like that? Will I have to go the Iphone way? (or the upcoming Windows 10?)

Jul 29, 2015 at 12:25 PM Post #6,989 of 9,526
  Hello everybody,

I am new to this forum. I must confess I am utterly pissed off but the "upgrade" to Lollilop in my Xperia Z2 phone. With the previous firmware, some clever audiophiles at Sony included a purist "Hi-Res USB Audio out" in the Sound menu that allowed non-resampled 44.1khz out, bypassing Android´s sound engine. It was a fantastic option that worked perfectly for Qobuz (or for the guys with Tidal). As you know, it´s not possible to use UAPP with those streaming services.

Now that audiophile option is gone with the current firmware, and Sony doesn´t seem to care a fig. Anybody knows if some other phone includes anything like that? Will I have to go the Iphone way? (or the upcoming Windows 10?)

Revert back to 4.4.4? I'm staying with 4.4.4 on my Z3 Compact partly because of the lack of the Hi-Res USB audio out. That option is still gone in the just released 5.1.1 update. From what I've read of the 5.1.1 update, it fixed some stuff from the 5.0.2 release, but there's still some bugs apparently, like memory leak, LTE problems, etc. I was hoping for Camera API 2 support in this version but nope, still the same old Camera API. And someone on XDA that reverted back to 4.4.4 from 5.1.1 said 4.4.4 is still the fastest compared to 5.1.1 which is faster than 5.0.2.

The only thing that still worries me is the recently publicized Stagefright vulnerability.  I don't have high hopes that Sony will release a patch for the 4.4.4 version since they are pushing ahead with 5.1.1+.   

Jul 29, 2015 at 2:56 PM Post #6,990 of 9,526
Tidal and Qobuz should both work with UAPP via Bubble UPnP, I can access Google Play Music that way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back