Android phones and USB DACs
May 11, 2015 at 12:37 PM Post #6,691 of 9,526
  My Z1 Compact's USB audio got nuked with the Lollipop update. Not sure why, but strange considering it's Lollipop that's supposed to have USB audio, not KitKat.

Android 5 has too much bugs, wait for the 5.1 update, maybe this fixes (hopefully) the issues. I'm still with 4.4.4 with UAPP on my Z1 compact, I can wait for a working native USB Audio (hopefully) soon.

May 11, 2015 at 6:30 PM Post #6,692 of 9,526
  Android 5 has too much bugs, wait for the 5.1 update, maybe this fixes (hopefully) the issues. I'm still with 4.4.4 with UAPP on my Z1 compact, I can wait for a working native USB Audio (hopefully) soon.

Other than the random poor RAM management and lack of USB audio, Lollipop crushes KitKat in every other way. I sent an email to Xperia Care asking them about this problem, here's hoping they reply soon.

May 13, 2015 at 8:57 AM Post #6,693 of 9,526
Is it me or from what I've read on forums only nexus devices on lollipop are functioning with USB audio at all? For Samsung et al USB audio is failing to connect to the dac and when they do connect dropped data occurs?

May 13, 2015 at 9:03 AM Post #6,694 of 9,526
Is it me or from what I've read on forums only nexus devices on lollipop are functioning with USB audio at all? For Samsung et al USB audio is failing to connect to the dac and when they do connect dropped data occurs?

Z2 and Z3 (Compact) works apparently, but it's a bit of a mixed bag. Lollipop kinda ruined the whole USB audio thing for everyone except Nexus guys.

May 13, 2015 at 9:33 AM Post #6,695 of 9,526

Z2 and Z3 (Compact) works apparently, but it's a bit of a mixed bag. Lollipop kinda ruined the whole USB audio thing for everyone except Nexus guys.

I have it on good authority that Z2 and Z3 don't have a USB-audio functionality under Lollipop. A new firmware, barely a week old should remove some bugs, but I am not sure if the audio bug is one of them. So I am staying with Kitkat for now.

May 13, 2015 at 10:31 AM Post #6,696 of 9,526
I have it on good authority that Z2 and Z3 don't have a USB-audio functionality under Lollipop. A new firmware, barely a week old should remove some bugs, but I am not sure if the audio bug is one of them. So I am staying with Kitkat for now.

I've got no clue who that authority should be but USB audio is certainly working as it should on my Z3compact running Lollipop :wink:

May 13, 2015 at 12:11 PM Post #6,697 of 9,526

I've got no clue who that authority should be but USB audio is certainly working as it should on my Z3compact running Lollipop
wink.gif

My authority is this http://www.android-hilfe.de/sony-xperia-z2-forum/681567-dac-audio-ausgang-nach-update-auf-5-0-2-ausgefallen.html  A thread on a german Android forum. The thread starter has a Sony Xperia Z2 like myself and is owner of an iBasso D-Zero Mk2. His cellphone does not work with Fiio Olympus and a Burson DAC either. If your Z3 mini works then maybe there is hope...

May 13, 2015 at 12:15 PM Post #6,698 of 9,526
My authority is this http://www.android-hilfe.de/sony-xperia-z2-forum/681567-dac-audio-ausgang-nach-update-auf-5-0-2-ausgefallen.html  A thread on a german Android forum. The thread starter has a Sony Xperia Z2 like myself and is owner of an iBasso D-Zero Mk2. His cellphone does not work with Fiio Olympus and a Burson DAC either. If your Z3 mini works then maybe there is hope...

Yes it does indeed work. With KK I wasn't able to get my GeekOut 720 to work properly but it works now after the Lollipop upgrade. My Dragonfly has been working ever since I got the phone and still does :)

Edit: There might be a difference between Z3 anf Z3compact but that would really surprise me.....

May 13, 2015 at 2:02 PM Post #6,699 of 9,526
I can't find my DAC to test right now, but I bought these items and they are working to provide my rooted TouchWiz KitKat 4.4.4 Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4" T705 Tablet with a charge and ~nine port USB OTG at the same time.
It's not a FAST charge.  I've seen up to 687 mAh with testing over the last ten minutes.  
But the mouse and USB stick I've plugged in all seem to work fine.
Tab S 8.4" T705 to Lava hub to Plugable hub.  This should give me at least nine powered/usable USB ports while still providing a slow charge to the tablet.

LAVA STS-3U : 3-port USB Hub for Samsung Galaxy Tablets
http://www.lavalinkstore.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=85

Plugable® 7-Port USB 3.0 SuperSpeed Hub with 25W Power Adapter and Two Charging Ports
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008ZGKWQI/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

May 13, 2015 at 2:03 PM Post #6,700 of 9,526
Anyone use EQ's at all?

Quote:
  So I'm in the early stages of planning an Android tablet powered car stereo system.  The Galaxy Tab S 8.4" will be my "head unit".
Audio from the Android will be sent to a USB DAC which will then send it to an audio processor which manages everything to the amplifiers.

I could spend extra on an audio processor that has user manageable EQ presets right at my fingertips.  Or I could go with a much less expensive processor which also has EQ presets but makes it a huge PITA to change between them.  If I go with the latter, then I would want to use an EQ app within Android to quickly change EQ presets for bass heavy, acoustic, talk radio, etc.  

So my question to you folks, is would that work well?  I don't want to depend on the music apps EQ since I'll be switching between various music apps, pandora, iHeart, etc. etc.
So I'd need an EQ app running in the background that would handle EQ for all outgoing audio regardless of what app is being used in the foreground.  Are there any apps that are decent for this, that won't muck up the sound?

May 13, 2015 at 5:26 PM Post #6,701 of 9,526

I'm running Cyanogenmod 12.1(Lollipop 5.1.1 based) on both my Galaxy Note and Galaxy S3 and USB audio works on both using UAPP and Onkyo Hi Fi Player with the Vamp Verza.

May 13, 2015 at 5:48 PM Post #6,702 of 9,526
I would really welcome any suggestions on running my ALO International (not the "+" model) with a Galaxy S4 running Lollipop 5.0.1. I've read that it works with USB Audio Pro but I would like to use Spotify. 

May 13, 2015 at 7:00 PM Post #6,703 of 9,526
I would really welcome any suggestions on running my ALO International (not the "+" model) with a Galaxy S4 running Lollipop 5.0.1. I've read that it works with USB Audio Pro but I would like to use Spotify. 

I'm afraid apart from apps that supply their own drivers like UAPP there is no solution for you.

May 13, 2015 at 10:00 PM Post #6,705 of 9,526
There's a beta firmware for the iFi micro iDSD that's supposed to support system audio for Galaxy S4 running 4.4.2.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/728236/ifi-idsd-micro-dsd512-pcm768-dac-and-headphone-amp-impressions-reviews-and-comments/3405#post_11489963
http://www.head-fi.org/t/728236/ifi-idsd-micro-dsd512-pcm768-dac-and-headphone-amp-impressions-reviews-and-comments/3420#post_11492984

Can anyone tell me if it's possible to infer from this that it will also support system audio with my Note 3 on 4.4.2 (i.e. won't need to use UAPP)?

I'm running beta fw v4.8 on my micro idsd (and nano idsd), both work with tidal on my oneplus one running kitkat. In fact all my audio programs ive tried work fine, power amp, neutron, gonemad etc. not sure how they've done it but it's a game changer for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back