Android phones and USB DACs
May 4, 2015 at 6:50 PM Post #6,676 of 9,526
I have had the EXACT experience and possible solutions from my Sony Xperia Z and GO 1000 (can't remember but i think i said it on the Geek Out thread).

But on a blessing in disguise my Xperia Z went dead and had it reimbursed. Now have a Note 3 instead.

May 4, 2015 at 8:17 PM Post #6,677 of 9,526
  I have had the EXACT experience and possible solutions from my Sony Xperia Z and GO 1000 (can't remember but i think i said it on the Geek Out thread).

But on a blessing in disguise my Xperia Z went dead and had it reimbursed. Now have a Note 3 instead.

Now you can try accessing the ext MicroSD card from the software that was giving you a problem. I forget which it was, but it worked with my Note 3. You running Lollipop or Kitkat on it? Which version number of Android?

May 5, 2015 at 2:30 AM Post #6,678 of 9,526
Hi Stan!

It WAS and STILL Hiby and Onkyo HF that I have problems accessing my microSD.

I have still Android 4.4.2. They haven't released yet an update here in Italy. A bummer that is.

Cheers!

May 5, 2015 at 5:19 AM Post #6,679 of 9,526
  Hi Stan!

It WAS and STILL Hiby and Onkyo HF that I have problems accessing my microSD.

I have still Android 4.4.2. They haven't released yet an update here in Italy. A bummer that is.

Cheers!

The last version of kitkat I used was 4.4.4 and that was for a long time and it worked for me. Now it's Lollipop. I hope you get a good update soon.

ciao

May 5, 2015 at 12:53 PM Post #6,680 of 9,526

Would appreciate your input if anyone has experience with Geek Out:

Has anybody been able to get the Geek Out to work with Sony Xperia Z series and UAPP without the need for the above procedure, and if so, what kind of tweaks to the phone or UAPP settings were needed?

Or with any phone with Android 4.x and UAPP, for that matter?

Yes, I have made it work with Xperia Z2 on Android 4.4.4. UAPP works fine as long as it is the first app you run and Geek Out 450 the first DAC you connect on the phone. No need for power bank or anything.

BUT. It is very selective when it comes to earphones.  Connecting the IEMs that came with the phone is OK, if I want to connect my "hi end" IEMs Sony Mh1 I must use the 47Ohm output, not the 0,47Ohm which should in theory be the correct connection for them. Otherwise the connection breaks. 

Walkman app can control volume on the Geek, but only when it plays files via the DLNA server (go figure...). Files from the SD card or the phone itself are played in full volume. Hiby App can control volume too. Most of the times. And sometimes, no matter what I do , the connection breaks, there is crackle and pops, and another IEM pair bites the dust.

I have practically given up on Geek Out 450 for use with an Android phone. I use now the idsp and miss nothing. The dSp sounds just as good with IEMs on the go, it has no connection issues and you run no danger of frying your IEMs. And it is barely a third of the price of the Geek Out. 

May 5, 2015 at 1:21 PM Post #6,681 of 9,526
Me on the other hand I have good experience from Sammys on GO. My Note 3, Note 10.1 (2014ed.) and Tab S 8.4 all worked fine as long its Android 4.4.2 and above.

May 5, 2015 at 4:23 PM Post #6,682 of 9,526
  Me on the other hand I have good experience from Sammys on GO. My Note 3, Note 10.1 (2014ed.) and Tab S 8.4 all worked fine as long its Android 4.4.2 and above.

No doubt, they are all cellphones/tabs with big batteries and the GO needs a lot of juice for a portable device. 

May 5, 2015 at 4:39 PM Post #6,683 of 9,526
Has anybody been able to get the Geek Out to work with Sony Xperia Z series and UAPP without the need for the above procedure, and if so, what kind of tweaks to the phone or UAPP settings were needed?

Or with any phone with Android 4.x and UAPP, for that matter?

Why don't you upgrade to Lollipop? GO720 works great with my Z3c using UAPP, the only thing to remember is to connect the GO to the external power before connecting it to the phone.

May 6, 2015 at 3:56 AM Post #6,685 of 9,526
Thanks for the proposal and information on your experiences, peter123.

I have been a bit wary of the upgrade to Lollipop after one Samsung Galaxy S4+ stopped working with any USB DACs it used to work with earlier, after upgrade from Android 4.4.x to 5.0.x... And several others have had similar problems with various phones.

Your comment provides a second data point I have seen of a Sony Xperia Z3 (compact) still working with USB DACs after the Lollipop upgrade, so sooner or later I will have the confidence for the upgrade.

May 6, 2015 at 5:25 AM Post #6,686 of 9,526
  Yes, I have made it work with Xperia Z2 on Android 4.4.4. ... I have practically given up on Geek Out 450 for use with an Android phone. I use now the idsp and miss nothing. The dSp sounds just as good with IEMs on the go, it has no connection issues and you run no danger of frying your IEMs. And it is barely a third of the price of the Geek Out. 

Thanks for sharing your experiences, kostaszag and m-i-c-k-e-y. It seems these are general issues then (as opposed to my specific GO individual having issues). I started browsing the Geek out threads for the information there.

I may go with the ODAC with external power instead of GO for now due to the glitches. JDS Labs has an extra small case variant for ODAC that might be good for a small portable stack.

In any case, the GO gets so hot that for my use case of keeping it as part of a stack with a external battery in a case would probably not be a too safe option.

But the GO does sound very good... Maybe the GO stream when it is available fixes the issues and can be used in a stack.

May 11, 2015 at 1:02 AM Post #6,687 of 9,526
So I'm in the early stages of planning an Android tablet powered car stereo system.  The Galaxy Tab S 8.4" will be my "head unit".
Audio from the Android will be sent to a USB DAC which will then send it to an audio processor which manages everything to the amplifiers.

I could spend extra on an audio processor that has user manageable EQ presets right at my fingertips.  Or I could go with a much less expensive processor which also has EQ presets but makes it a huge PITA to change between them.  If I go with the latter, then I would want to use an EQ app within Android to quickly change EQ presets for bass heavy, acoustic, talk radio, etc.  

So my question to you folks, is would that work well?  I don't want to depend on the music apps EQ since I'll be switching between various music apps, pandora, iHeart, etc. etc.
So I'd need an EQ app running in the background that would handle EQ for all outgoing audio regardless of what app is being used in the foreground.  Are there any apps that are decent for this, that won't muck up the sound?

May 11, 2015 at 1:19 AM Post #6,688 of 9,526
My Z1 Compact's USB audio got nuked with the Lollipop update. Not sure why, but strange considering it's Lollipop that's supposed to have USB audio, not KitKat.

May 11, 2015 at 2:20 AM Post #6,689 of 9,526
I was going to say same thing - sounds good plan - but watch out with the Tab S and Lollipop update.  I have a 10.5 Tab S and I can't get USB audio to work now with Lollipop in anything other than USB Audio Pro (which is good tool but no good for me as all my listening is Spotify etc)

My 10.5 Tab S worked perfectly with USB audio with KitKat though

May 11, 2015 at 2:45 AM Post #6,690 of 9,526
  I was going to say same thing - sounds good plan - but watch out with the Tab S and Lollipop update.  I have a 10.5 Tab S and I can't get USB audio to work now with Lollipop in anything other than USB Audio Pro (which is good tool but no good for me as all my listening is Spotify etc)

My 10.5 Tab S worked perfectly with USB audio with KitKat though

Lucky you: USB Audio Pro works for you. UAPP refuses to even acknowledge I plugged in my ODAC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back