Android phones and USB DACs
Jan 4, 2015 at 5:03 AM Post #6,046 of 9,526
  How did you modify the back cover??
I'd love to do this mod to my HTC phone!

Hi,

please look here http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/5865#post_11120441

I got this Anker battery incl. larger back cover for my S4: www.amazon.com/Capable-Extended-T-Mobile-18-Month-Warranty/dp/B00CPLMG86

I'm pretty sure you will find this for your HTC phone too.

I only need to modify a little bit the camera hole with a regular plier (takes only 5 minutes) and to close the large hole I used a little bit normal black teflon tape.

BTW. with this battery I can play 24 (!) hours with UAPP on my S4, with my USB DAC (ifi micro iDSD, needs 3 times recharge for 24 hours play back if you compare).

Jan 4, 2015 at 5:53 AM Post #6,047 of 9,526

Hi,

please look here http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/5865#post_11120441

I got this Anker battery incl. larger back cover for my S4: www.amazon.com/Capable-Extended-T-Mobile-18-Month-Warranty/dp/B00CPLMG86

I'm pretty sure you will find this for your HTC phone too.

I only need to modify a little bit the camera hole with a regular plier (takes only 5 minutes) and to close the large hole I used a little bit normal black teflon tape.

BTW. with this battery I can play 24 (!) hours with UAPP on my S4, with my USB DAC (ifi micro iDSD, needs 3 times recharge for 24 hours play back if you compare).

This is fantastic!!! this is exactly what I've been looking for!!
This makes a brand new DAP that is superior to AK240, Calyx M, and HM901!

For HTC M series :

http://www.amazon.com/Mugen-Power-Extended-3700mAh-Battery/dp/B00QV1CEC4/ref=lh_ni_t?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3BDCZ5W46V5HH

This is available. It can turn your HTC phone into a DAP with 512GB SD card + 6,000 mAh battery!
I'm going to buy this set up and a new Oppo HA-2 DAC soon.

Jan 4, 2015 at 1:05 PM Post #6,048 of 9,526
No need for ROMS or suchlike, it'll work with them whatever size (may require formatting to FAT32 though). My Note 3 was pure stock with the 256gb card. Basically nearly everything you've said is inaccurate, with the one exception of needing a case mod (mine is a wood case, the inside is sanded so the fit is seamless). All this information is readily available online, you could look it up instead of giving poor information out to the forum.

What part about an SD card with an adapter not fitting into microSD slot is not true as an SD card is larger. You can get a microSD card with an adapter to fit into an SD card, but that's not the case with this phone. These statements are accurate. A cable with an external socket is not going to fit into a Note without serious modifications. Samsung specifies much smaller capacity for the microSD slot, if more works, that's good news.

Jan 4, 2015 at 1:20 PM Post #6,050 of 9,526
  Oppo N3, Oppo HA-2, Oppo PM3:
http://www.jb51.net/shouji/238719.html

Oppo N3 smartphone >> USB OTG cable >> Oppo HA-2 USB DAC/amp >> Oppo PM3 headphones

So, how does this set up sound like?? Are they better than AK240?
You can't use N3 smartphone in the states, I believe. Providers don't offer this phone.

Jan 4, 2015 at 4:11 PM Post #6,051 of 9,526
  What part about an SD card with an adapter not fitting into microSD slot is not true as an SD card is larger. You can get a microSD card with an adapter to fit into an SD card, but that's not the case with this phone. These statements are accurate. A cable with an external socket is not going to fit into a Note without serious modifications. Samsung specifies much smaller capacity for the microSD slot, if more works, that's good news.

No, the reason why the maximum capacity is limited to 64 or 128 GB is because currently the largest micro SD card is 128 GB. But since the most good phones support SDXC standard (that means support for SD cards over 32 GB, the old standard is called SDHC and ends with 32 GB), there is no real limit upwards (2 TB ist maximum with FAT32 file system and MBR partition layout). And the SDXC standard doesn't make a difference if micro SD or full size SD cards, in this case with this nice "micro SD to full size SD card adapters" we can bump up the storage from our Android phones up to 2 TB if we get some day a 2 TB SD card.

This is fantastic!!! this is exactly what I've been looking for!!
This makes a brand new DAP that is superior to AK240, Calyx M, and HM901!

For HTC M series :

http://www.amazon.com/Mugen-Power-Extended-3700mAh-Battery/dp/B00QV1CEC4/ref=lh_ni_t?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3BDCZ5W46V5HH

This is available. It can turn your HTC phone into a DAP with 512GB SD card + 6,000 mAh battery!
I'm going to buy this set up and a new Oppo HA-2 DAC soon.

You are welcome
beerchug.gif

Please take note with this kind of external battery case, you have not really space left to fit the SD card + the adapter. I recommend to get a real large battery with incl. additional large back cover, to be on the safe side for the space requirements.

Jan 4, 2015 at 4:16 PM Post #6,052 of 9,526
  You are welcome
beerchug.gif

Please take note with this kind of external battery case, you have not really space left to fit the SD card + the adapter. I recommend to get a real large battery with incl. additional large back cover, to be on the safe side for the space requirements.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00Q7C6FTA/ref=gno_cart_title_0?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3FBBJRRMMULGW

How does this look? it has 10,000 mAh battery. I'm going to use this with my Note 4.
I think it will give more than 30 hours of UAPP playback.
Do you think I will be able to fit an SD card and adapter if I remove Note 4's original back cover?

Jan 4, 2015 at 5:18 PM Post #6,053 of 9,526
  No, the reason why the maximum capacity is limited to 64 or 128 GB is because currently the largest micro SD card is 128 GB. But since the most good phones support SDXC standard (that means support for SD cards over 32 GB, the old standard is called SDHC and ends with 32 GB), there is no real limit upwards (2 TB ist maximum with FAT32 file system and MBR partition layout). And the SDXC standard doesn't make a difference if micro SD or full size SD cards, in this case with this nice "micro SD to full size SD card adapters" we can bump up the storage from our Android phones up to 2 TB if we get some day a 2 TB SD card.

I'm very familiar with the standards, however, many times the physical hardware or drivers will not fully support the address range. If they've done so in this case it's a win for customers.
The manual states, "Your device supports optional, removable, microSD™ or microSDHC™ memory cards of up to 64GB capacity." I asked if the Samsung 128GB EVO microSD card would work with the Note 3 and they said no, so I stuck in a 64 GB which is more than enough for my use. Could just be a case of a support person not knowing the true limits of the device and just reading from a script.

Jan 4, 2015 at 9:31 PM Post #6,056 of 9,526
  I'm very familiar with the standards, however, many times the physical hardware or drivers will not fully support the address range. If they've done so in this case it's a win for customers.
The manual states, "Your device supports optional, removable, microSD™ or microSDHC™ memory cards of up to 64GB capacity." I asked if the Samsung 128GB EVO microSD card would work with the Note 3 and they said no, so I stuck in a 64 GB which is more than enough for my use. Could just be a case of a support person not knowing the true limits of the device and just reading from a script.

Manufacturers statements about maximum memory capacities are nearly always wrong. Given my N82 works with a 128gb card formatted to Fat32, I think you can virtually assume anything made within the last few years will also.

Jan 4, 2015 at 10:25 PM Post #6,057 of 9,526

Manufacturers statements about maximum memory capacities are nearly always wrong. Given my N82 works with a 128gb card formatted to Fat32, I think you can virtually assume anything made within the last few years will also.

I'll be interested to see how you manage to shoehorn the adapter inside the phone. I hope it works out well.

Jan 4, 2015 at 11:25 PM Post #6,058 of 9,526
  I'll be interested to see how you manage to shoehorn the adapter inside the phone. I hope it works out well.

There is a guy at XDA who is using the 10000mA hour battery and a 512gb SD card in his Note 4 already, can dig up the XDA thread link later when not at work. I don't want a brick like that though, so I will be looking for something more elegant like the wood case solution I used with my Note 3. 

(in the XDA thread he says the Exynos Note 4 does not work with the card, but I think he has not tried it Fat32 formatted, since a 2gb external drive works with my Note 4)

Jan 4, 2015 at 11:42 PM Post #6,059 of 9,526
Hey guys, quick question, I'm sure its been answered in these 400 pages somewhere, but don't have the time to read it all. Will OTG cable or Android phones such as the Note 4, play ALL audio through OTG, such as Spotify, Pandora, and onboard players like Samsung Media? 

DAC wise lookin at the JDS C5D or something of the sort. 

Jan 5, 2015 at 12:32 AM Post #6,060 of 9,526
  Hey guys, quick question, I'm sure its been answered in these 400 pages somewhere, but don't have the time to read it all. Will OTG cable or Android phones such as the Note 4, play ALL audio through OTG, such as Spotify, Pandora, and onboard players like Samsung Media? 

DAC wise lookin at the JDS C5D or something of the sort. 

Depends on the DAC, but with many DACs this is indeed possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back