Android phones and USB DACs
Mar 5, 2014 at 2:35 PM Post #4,291 of 9,526

rooted, custom kernel (omega rom), headphone 30 ohm sensitivy (fidelio x1), poweramp

I find that the sound isnt enough when i ear through the jack of the GN2

The question for me is, who is the better DAC fiio e7 or GN2, or they are most likely the same ?

An X1! If you're still using the stock cable: dump it. The cable is high resistance (1.8ohm)! (Get a V-Moda Audio Only Cable to replace it.) See more on Tyll's review @ InnerFidelity: http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/big-bottom-and-lively-top-philips-fidelio-x1

Beyond that, I didn't find much of a difference between the DACs (the WM1811 is implemented pretty well in the N2). For me, I had to change players. I loved Poweramp for its features, but I found its sound quality dull, flat, and unengaging. I used it forever though because I just couldn't give up its UI. 

Mar 5, 2014 at 3:55 PM Post #4,292 of 9,526

An X1! If you're still using the stock cable: dump it. The cable is high resistance (1.8ohm)! (Get a V-Moda Audio Only Cable to replace it.) See more on Tyll's review @ InnerFidelity: http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/big-bottom-and-lively-top-philips-fidelio-x1

Beyond that, I didn't find much of a difference between the DACs (the WM1811 is implemented pretty well in the N2). For me, I had to change players. I loved Poweramp for its features, but I found its sound quality dull, flat, and unengaging. I used it forever though because I just couldn't give up its UI. 

Already got the V moda cable :)

Which player i should get ? (hard rock, electro, dubstep, etc)
On poweramp i use the Rock EQ

Mar 5, 2014 at 4:57 PM Post #4,293 of 9,526
   Already got the V moda cable :)

Which player i should get ? (hard rock, electro, dubstep, etc)
On poweramp i use the Rock EQ

I prefer UAPP (USB Audio Player Pro) for sound quality across the board, with USB-OTG and out of the headphone jack. On Android devices that the Play Store deems incompatible (like, for example, the original Galaxy S w/ Voodoo Sound) I prefer Neutron Player. Neutron has an annoying UI, but a lot of audio optimization capability. UAPP is just plain bare bones - no Equalizer, no Crossfeed features, no album art, no scrobbling, a single (crappy) widget and no sound settings to speak of - but it sounds clearer and cleaner than anything else I've used, with Neutron in second place. Its "austere" - completely sparse - but it sounds great.

If you like to tinker with your audio on the software side: Neutron. If not, UAPP.

Mar 6, 2014 at 4:00 PM Post #4,295 of 9,526
Samsung Galaxy Gear smartwatch: media controller
http://blog.clove.co.uk/2013/11/05/samsung-galaxy-gear-media-controller/

"Just thought I would share a use for the above 3 pieces of hardware.

My Note 3 is streaming music from Google Play Music. The Note 3 is connected via USB , using its USB Audio digital out connection to the Fiio E18. The Fiio E18 translates the digital signal from the Note 3 and then amplifies the sound into my Sennheiser headphones.

The sound on the Fiio E18 is turned up just a little too loud and then using the Galaxy Gear I am now controlling the media and system volume up and down dependant on how loud or quite each track is. The Gear displays the song info as well.

A lovely setup. And incredible sound quality too."
http://gavinsgadgets.wordpress.com/2014/02/05/samsung-note-3-galaxy-gear-and-fiio-e18-portable-usb-dacamp-home-entertainment/

Mar 6, 2014 at 7:43 PM Post #4,297 of 9,526
Don't know if this has been answered, but i want to use my android usb digital out for applications such as netflix, neutron, ect. Right now i have a note 2 that is NOT rooted and i am limited to using usb audio player pro.

How would i root my phone to allow all audio to be sent to the usb digital out to use with my centrance hifi-m8?

Mar 6, 2014 at 8:47 PM Post #4,298 of 9,526
Don't know if this has been answered, but i want to use my android usb digital out for applications such as netflix, neutron, ect. Right now i have a note 2 that is NOT rooted and i am limited to using usb audio player pro.

How would i root my phone to allow all audio to be sent to the usb digital out to use with my centrance hifi-m8?

Cannot be done AFAIK.

Other DAC/amps can do this though.

Mar 6, 2014 at 10:10 PM Post #4,299 of 9,526
Can folks with a Nexus 5 share what ROM / kernel combination they are currently running for USB audio support? I've been running DroidKang (CM11 base) for the past few months and it's damn stable with loads of good features. However it looks like the dev has gone AWOL (no updates in over a month) so I'm looking to switch, maybe to PAC -- http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2670238

Plug-n-play USB DAC support is a must. I know this was originally added via CyanogenMod so any CM11 based ROMs should work. However the vast majority of custom ROMs now seem to be AOSP based so I'm not sure if the support will be there. Would appreciate any recommendations for working USB audio ROMs that are regularly maintained.

Cheers,

Mar 6, 2014 at 11:57 PM Post #4,300 of 9,526

I may not be understanding your question BUT....this is how to do Netflix on your TV using your unrooted android phone....

1. You must have a home WiFi network
2. Buy and set up a Google Chromecast device on your TV (about the size of a memory stick). $35
3. Download the Netflix app to your phone (also works with the You Tube app, the Pandora App and for videos saved to the phone, the Avia app) All work fine on my phone and let me watch Netflix, You Tube, Music, and video (stored on the phone) wirelessly on my TV
4. Use the phone to control the Netflix show you want to watch and cast it to the TV....

Simple

Mar 7, 2014 at 12:02 AM Post #4,301 of 9,526

I may not be understanding your question BUT....this is how to do Netflix on your TV using your android phone....

1. You must have a home WiFi network
2. Buy and set up a Google Chromecast device on your TV (about the size of a memory stick). $35
3. Download the Netflix app to your phone (also works with the You Tube app, the Pandora App and for videos saved to the phone, the Avia app) All work fine on my phone and let me watch Netflix, You Tube, Music, and video (stored on the phone) wirelessly on my TV
4. Use the phone to control the Netflix show you want to watch and cast it to the TV....

Simple

He's asking how to use USB audio output for non-UAPP apps, which is not possible AFAIK for the Centrance he has.

Mar 7, 2014 at 2:27 AM Post #4,302 of 9,526
I have seen several reports that USB audio is now natively supported in CM11 but can't get it working on my Motorola Xoom.

I have tried with reportedly compatible hardware, Motorola Xoom + SMSL Fort (same DAC part as ELE DAC), with no luck. The Xoom doesn't seem to recognize the sound card. Trying UAPP app, it reports that the "Linux layer" recognizes the hardware, but that Android doesn't.

Has anyone got this working on a Xoom?

Any input is highly appreciated!

Mar 7, 2014 at 7:35 AM Post #4,304 of 9,526
SanDisk Ultra 128GB microSDXC confirmed to work on Sony Xperia Z1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back