Android phones and USB DACs
Mar 3, 2014 at 5:49 PM Post #4,276 of 9,526
  Reconfirming with pictures.

Smartphone: Samsung Galaxy Note 3
DAC: M2tech Hiface DAC 32/384

Re: Neutron Amp plays DXD files (.wav 24bit 352.8khz) to DAC.

That shows that Neutron can read the bitrate information etc, but that doesn't show that it is outputting that to the DAC necessarily right? Or perhaps you have a DAC that shows what it is receiving?

Mar 3, 2014 at 6:42 PM Post #4,277 of 9,526
Good Point. 
bigsmile_face.gif

Well i have a 32/384 capable DAC, so if its not, Neutron is lying  
mad.gif

Will have a further test when my Geek Out arrives. There we have some indicator lights.

Mar 3, 2014 at 11:49 PM Post #4,278 of 9,526
  Good Point. 
bigsmile_face.gif

Well i have a 32/384 capable DAC, so if its not, Neutron is lying  
mad.gif

Will have a further test when my Geek Out arrives. There we have some indicator lights.

Excellent! Indicator lights are helpful.

This means the Hugo might actually do DXD on Android phones, which is good to know.

Mar 4, 2014 at 1:15 AM Post #4,279 of 9,526
I just picked up a Fiio E07k and noticed on DanBa's Galaxy S3 list that the E07k is "to be confirmed".  So I'm going to confirm that it does work.  This is just a copy/paste from my previous post but adding the E07k.

I've got an update for the Telus Galaxy S3 (SGH-i747m).  

Galaxy S3 with Android 4.3 (stock unrooted)
Audioengine D1: does NOT work with PowerAmp and Samsung music player (also requires external power via USB OTG Y-cable and a battery pack or USB AC adapter)
Fiio E07k: WORKS with PowerAmp and Samsung music player (limited to 16bit/48kHz) 
Fiio E17: WORKS with PowerAmp and Samsung music player (limited to 16bit/48kHz)
UAPP WORKS with all 3 DACs

Nexus 7 2013 Wifi (flo) with stock Android 4.4.2 ROM & kernel
Audioengine D1: does NOT work with PowerAmp (also requires external power via USB OTG Y-cable and a battery pack or USB AC adapter)
Fiio E07k: does NOT work with PowerAmp. 
Fiio E17: does NOT work with PowerAmp. 
UAPP WORKS with all 3 DACs

Mar 4, 2014 at 4:23 AM Post #4,280 of 9,526
  http://www.mymemory.co.uk/Micro-SDXC/SanDisk/SanDisk-128GB-Ultra-Android-Micro-SD-%28SDHC%29-Class-10-UHS-1-30MB_s

The first batch ran out within 30 minutes, good luck on your hunt.

Thanks ... I've set up a stock alert. The price is not as bad as I was expecting either. I recall paying over £100 for a 1GB memory card not so many years ago 
eek.gif

These high-capacity cards will be of massive benefit for portable music duties.

Mar 4, 2014 at 4:29 AM Post #4,281 of 9,526

Thanks ... I've set up a stock alert. The price is not as bad as I was expecting either. I recall paying over £100 for a 1GB memory card not so many years ago :eek: .

These high-capacity cards will be of massive benefit for portable music duties.

It is the cheapest in UK and the first to stock it if I am not mistaken.

Mar 4, 2014 at 11:34 AM Post #4,282 of 9,526
NZ tech, you said a few pages back that the Galaxy Note 3 was your pick of best Android device for OTG/dac use.  It's a bit big and expensive for me, so wondering what your next choice or two might be?  Preferably with removable battery.   T (a lot) I A..

Mar 4, 2014 at 1:12 PM Post #4,283 of 9,526
It's still a very important consideration, that's partly why I like the USB audio approach so much - I can choose a smartphone based on a constellation of other qualities, knowing I'll enjoy the same great quality for audio.

One of "other qualities" IMHO: MHL 3.0 
http://www.engadget.com/2014/03/03/mhl-3-0-4k-sony-xperia-z2/

"You may have already followed the announcement of Sony's Xperia Z2 and Xperia Z2 Tablet last week, but did you know that they are also the first mobile devices to feature MHL 3.0? For those who haven't caught up, this standard allows 4K video output -- over a bandwidth of 6 Gbps -- from a micro-USB port, while giving back up to 10W of power to keep your phone or tablet juiced up. Better yet, you also get a dedicated 75 Mbps channel for data transfer, as opposed to just 1 Mbps in earlier versions..."

Quote:
However, Sony Mobile presented two new products yesterday, the Xperia Z2 phone and T2 tablet, which offers high-res audio over USB, through what we call "Direct mode". Basically we completely bypass the audio framework and send the decoded audio data directly to the USB driver without any processing or any mix-in of notifications, ring signals, et c. We also replace the USB driver and the FLAC decoder, to support 192kHz and asynchronous USB Audio Class 2. The only thing we change in the data stream is that we pad 16 bits to 24 and 24 bits to 32 when required by the DAC. Together this gives us the ability to support replay of FLAC and WAV at any sample rate from 44.1 to 192kHz at either 16 or 24 bits.

This is part of the overall Sony High-Res initiative, by which we want to bring back the excitement of high quality music reproduction and leave hard-compressed MP3 behind us.

Mar 4, 2014 at 3:13 PM Post #4,284 of 9,526
Indeed, I've been a long time fan of MHL (especially from the 2.0 point onwards), look forward to trying MHL 3.0

Regards other Android devices besides Note 3 for USB Audio - I'll get back to you in a bit (getting kids ready for school and so forth).

Mar 5, 2014 at 1:36 PM Post #4,288 of 9,526
  Hello, i got a GN2 and a fiio e7

Do you recommend to me:

To use the GN2 DAC + Fiio e7 AMP ( Wolfson WM1811, with jack to jack)
OR
Fiio e7 DAC + AMP (Wolfson WM8740 DAC, Usb otg.) 

Rooted with a custom kernel, or stock? Headphone sensitivity/impedance that you're looking to drive? Player preference? 

If rooted with a custom kernel, I find that the GN2 has sufficient power out of headphone jack for most portables and then some. (At 57/63 on Perseus, NEAK, or Devil Kernels, the Note 2 can drive a DT250-250 or an HD580 to respectable volumes.) In this situation, if you're using UAPP or Neutron and are using a low impedance/high sensitivity portable headphone, you probably don't need to carry the E7 at all. 

Otherwise, if you're running stock or are looking to drive something heavier, use the FiiO E7 over USB-OTG and rock out with UAPP. 

Mar 5, 2014 at 1:52 PM Post #4,289 of 9,526
  NZ tech, you said a few pages back that the Galaxy Note 3 was your pick of best Android device for OTG/dac use.  It's a bit big and expensive for me, so wondering what your next choice or two might be?  Preferably with removable battery.   T (a lot) I A..

If you like the Note size, I'd recommend the Optimus G Pro.  As a 2013 phone, I imagine AT&T is practically giving them away now.  It does come with LG's less than optimal skin of Android 4.1.  But if you're not afraid of doing a little work on it, Cyanogenmod 11 runs brilliantly with full USB audio support.  In some ways, it's better than a Note 3.  Here's my breakdown:

OGP pluses:
1 - Better screen.  Overall, this is subjective.  But the OGP definitely has a sharper screen.  I'm not talking about the slightly higher pixel density.  I can still see pentile fuzzies on the Note 3, which is annoying.
2 - The absolute best notification light yet made.  With Cyanogenmod color settings it's even better.
3 - No heinous fake leather.  This is a subjective one, to be fair.  And there must be replacement back covers for the Note 3 by now.

Note 3 pluses:
1 - Its Snapdragon 800 processor is considerably more powerful than the 600 used in the OGP.
2 - I suspect battery life is a little better.
3 - If you care about a stylus, the OGP doesn't have one.
4 - If you only run stock roms, Samsung is much better about updates.

Mar 5, 2014 at 2:23 PM Post #4,290 of 9,526

Rooted with a custom kernel, or stock? Headphone sensitivity/impedance that you're looking to drive? Player preference? 

If rooted with a custom kernel, I find that the GN2 has sufficient power out of headphone jack for most portables and then some. (At 57/63 on Perseus, NEAK, or Devil Kernels, the Note 2 can drive a DT250-250 or an HD580 to respectable volumes.) In this situation, if you're using UAPP or Neutron and are using a low impedance/high sensitivity portable headphone, you probably don't need to carry the E7 at all. 

Otherwise, if you're running stock or are looking to drive something heavier, use the FiiO E7 over USB-OTG and rock out with UAPP. 

rooted, custom kernel (omega rom), headphone 30 ohm sensitivy (fidelio x1), poweramp

I find that the sound isnt enough when i ear through the jack of the GN2

The question for me is, who is the better DAC fiio e7 or GN2, or they are most likely the same ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back