Android phones and USB DACs
Feb 15, 2014 at 4:35 AM Post #4,097 of 9,526
Sorry:: this is originally a reply to a previous post but since I'm new not sure how the posts work it is here. 
Was replying to fdbf about getting USB audio out working on a Nexus 4 rooted with cm 11 and with OTG working. There is a patch on XDA , the jack norris patch which gets your DAC running on plugging it in via usb on a Nexus 7.

I finally got the script to run. Amazing when it is working. but my phone froze on the home page and had to reflash the rom. 

There is a new script on the XDA page from a few days ago which I am going to try. But I am having another problem:  the kernels I am using with OTG are all causing reboot issues and I can't resolve them. All the  Justvarshney  modified for CM 11 kernels: the ziddey Franco modified kernels with OTG,, the matrix with OTG, and the Hells-core with OTG all cause me reboots. The hells-core the least. But it still is way too annoying. What kernel are you running?

If I could just find a patch that was only OTG without a kernel, like they were when Ziddey first released them in March 2013 I'd be happy. 

What kernel are you running?

Feb 15, 2014 at 4:43 AM Post #4,098 of 9,526
Sure,

Just go to the page linked with your PC, download the last version on one of the last pages. You need to run it on your PC while you're connected USB and follow screen instructions. Did you try? Where are you stucked?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

I finally got the script to run. Amazing when it is working. but my phone froze on the home page and had to reflash the rom. 

There is a new script on the XDA page from a few days ago which I am going to try. But I am having another problem:  the kernels I am using with OTG are all causing reboot issues and I can't resolve them. All the  Justvarshney  modified for CM 11 kernels: the ziddey Franco modified kernels with OTG,, the matrix with OTG, and the Hells-core with OTG all cause me reboots. The hells-core the least. But it still is way too annoying. What kernel are you running?

If I could just find a patch that was only OTG without a kernel, like they were when Ziddey first released them in March 2013 I'd be happy. 

Feb 15, 2014 at 11:45 AM Post #4,100 of 9,526
Sure,

Just go to the page linked with your PC, download the last version on one of the last pages. You need to run it on your PC while you're connected USB and follow screen instructions. Did you try? Where are you stucked?

I'm running ziddey OTG #200, I have reboot issue once in a while, about every second day, so it's not bothering me!

Feb 15, 2014 at 1:15 PM Post #4,101 of 9,526
I had USB audio working nicely on my Galaxy S3 - FiiO E18, from all apps.

Then I installed CM11 ROM and can only get an output to the DAC using USBAPP - GPM and Spotify will only output to phones speaker / headphone port.

Googling suggests that others have CM11 working with all apps.

Is there anything obvious I might be missing, or should I revert to stock ROM?

Many thanks.

Feb 16, 2014 at 10:58 AM Post #4,103 of 9,526
can confirm that I can get a Yulong DA8 to work with player pro on a Asus memopad HD. Needs a OTG cable and a rooted system. This is obviosly only 2 prove that the DA8 gets the audio through the USB port. It is by no means a practical solution. I would like to choose the audio output like on a iPhone where you can choose between the different audio devices.

Feb 16, 2014 at 11:20 AM Post #4,104 of 9,526
can confirm that I can get a Yulong DA8 to work with player pro on a Asus memopad HD. Needs a OTG cable and a rooted system. This is obviosly only 2 prove that the DA8 gets the audio through the USB port. It is by no means a practical solution. I would like to choose the audio output like on a iPhone where you can choose between the different audio devices.

Asus memopad HD = 16 Gb capacity + 1 MicroSD !  Is it enough for your HF Files ? 

Feb 16, 2014 at 11:26 AM Post #4,105 of 9,526
I mainly use spotify or stream over airplay from a server. bUT as I said until android gets some mechanism to choose an output device it is not a robust solution and I will be using an iPhone to manage my music

Feb 16, 2014 at 2:17 PM Post #4,108 of 9,526
Sony Xperia Z1 & Android-based USB audio:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2635196

Xperia Z1 >> USB OTG cable >> iBasso Audio D2+ Hj Boa USB DAC/amp >> Audio-Technica ATH-M50 headphones

Sony Xperia Z & Android-based USB audio:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/2460#post_9505935

24/96 music file > Xperia Z: Walkman music player > 16/44.1 digital USB audio out >> USB OTG cable >> HRT microStreamer USB DAC/amp >> Philips Fidelio X1 headphones

24/96 music file > Xperia Z: USB Audio Recorder PRO [ / USB Audio Player PRO] > 24/96 digital USB audio out >> USB OTG cable >> HRT microStreamer >> Philips Fidelio X1 headphones

Feb 16, 2014 at 3:20 PM Post #4,109 of 9,526
Further to my earlier query (post #4103 above), I have done some more playing today and it would appear that CyanogenMod breaks the native support for USB audio on the Galaxy S3 
frown.gif

Trying some other ROMs appeared easier than reverting to stock so I've ended up with OmegaRom v56 (Android 4.3 based) which works perfectly in all regards, although it appears to be just as 'bloaty' as the original Samsung.

I now have a very nice DAP based on the S3 and FiiO E18 using USBAPP for lossless files on a 64GB SD card, Spotify 'extreme' quality for streaming and downloads, Soundcloud/Soundcloud downloader, and TuneIn Radio Pro 
smile_phones.gif

Given the availability of products like the E18 and the reasonable second-hand prices for 'high-end' Android handsets, there's a real opportunity for a minimum function set custom ROM / Kernel that exploits the best audio performance and maximises battery life. Hopefully some of the clever developer community will be inspired to produce one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back