Android phones and USB DACs
Feb 8, 2014 at 7:36 AM Post #4,066 of 9,526

PS- There's no volume control on the Dragonfly either, but the software volume from the app makes it louder than anyone would want.

Just picking up on this. On your S3 if you're using other apps (Spotify, Netflix, Google Play etc. etc.) can you adjust the volume fed to the Dragonfly using your phone's volume buttons or are you restricted to using USBAPP to adjust the levels (software volume control)?

I'm starting to think  if it's the latter the DF might not be a good match for the Moto G as I primarily use Spotify for listening. Space is also at a premium as I only have about 3gb useable space left after the OS and other apps.

Cheers!

Feb 8, 2014 at 9:02 AM Post #4,067 of 9,526
Has anyone tried either a Schiit Modi or Bifrost with a Verizon or other USA Samsung Galaxy S3 using standard USB Audio. That means without special apps like USBAPP. Using it successfully with PowerAmp, NeutronMP, Googple Music Player or the like?
If you got it to work or not, which version of Android did you try it with?

Feb 8, 2014 at 12:27 PM Post #4,068 of 9,526
Does the app ask to send a crash report? Oops, sorry, I saw you already sent an email, thanks.
Hello Davy, thanks for the speedy reply, no, it doesn't, it just tells me it had to shut down, closes and then reopens. The file I'm trying to play is .m4a format. I made an identical file using .flack that doesn't produce the crash if that helps. ... apologies for the delay in replying but it took me hours to confirm the above as I'm new to all this.

Feb 9, 2014 at 6:03 AM Post #4,069 of 9,526
Hello Davy, thanks for the speedy reply, no, it doesn't, it just tells me it had to shut down, closes and then reopens. The file I'm trying to play is .m4a format. I made an identical file using .flack that doesn't produce the crash if that helps. ... apologies for the delay in replying but it took me hours to confirm the above as I'm new to all this.

It seems most crashes occur due to playback using Android's MediaCodec system. I'll speed up implementation of using libavcodec which would be able to decode much more formats like m4a, wma and possibly even ape.

Feb 9, 2014 at 2:02 PM Post #4,070 of 9,526
is flac also affected?

Feb 9, 2014 at 3:08 PM Post #4,071 of 9,526
I am not sure how to install the Norris patch on my rooted nexus 4 cm11 with hells-core kernel with otg.

I openned the winzip file provided on the forum and tried to flash the 4.4 zip contained but I got an abort on flashing. 
Any suggestions.

I am thrilled to know someone has done this and can stream to a DAC via usb on a Nexus 4. I don't have a DAC yeat but will try to use my fatman ipod dock as a DAC. I have micro usb to 30 pin female so can attach that to my nexus 4's usb using the otg rig. 

Feb 9, 2014 at 3:42 PM Post #4,072 of 9,526
Picture! Note the led on on the hifimediy!

sebe2u3e.jpg

And right now even working WITHOUT UAPP allowing any music software including streaming services to go through the USB DAC after installing jack Norris patch which you can find here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2029728

Please note: go to the end of the thread linked above in order to download patch 1.2 for 4.4 version

The only thing missing is volume control.

Best!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

How did you get the Jack Norris installed on your nexus 4?  I have the same: nexus 4, wi otg + hells-core kernel and want to stream google music prime.  I found the link for the patch but don't understand how to install it on my phone.  Can you please help.

Feb 9, 2014 at 5:05 PM Post #4,073 of 9,526
Hi,

Another newbie here just taking some tentative steps into better than the average portable audio.

I have a FiiO E18 DAC/Amp and have just gotten a good deal on a second-hand Samsung S3 that I will be able to dedicate exclusively to music playing duties. I will be using downloaded Spotify/Soundcloud files from device memory and stored lossless files from microSD card.

I'd be grateful for advice on anything I should so to set up the S3, in terms of any custom ROMs / particular apps, etc.

Also after ideas for a case to house the S3 and the FiiO. Some sort of bi-fold zip-up job with the phone on one side and the DAC on the other would be nice but I can't immediately think of anything suitable. Not too worried about how the cable fits between the two as I've ordered some micro-USP plugs and will make up something to suit the case arrangement.

I'll read back over the lengthy thread to pick up anything I may have missed and hope to be able to contribute my experience as it grows.

Cheers ...

Feb 9, 2014 at 6:03 PM Post #4,074 of 9,526
  Hi,

Another newbie here just taking some tentative steps into better than the average portable audio.

I have a FiiO E18 DAC/Amp and have just gotten a good deal on a second-hand Samsung S3 that I will be able to dedicate exclusively to music playing duties. I will be using downloaded Spotify/Soundcloud files from device memory and stored lossless files from microSD card.

I'd be grateful for advice on anything I should so to set up the S3, in terms of any custom ROMs / particular apps, etc.

Also after ideas for a case to house the S3 and the FiiO. Some sort of bi-fold zip-up job with the phone on one side and the DAC on the other would be nice but I can't immediately think of anything suitable. Not too worried about how the cable fits between the two as I've ordered some micro-USP plugs and will make up something to suit the case arrangement.

I'll read back over the lengthy thread to pick up anything I may have missed and hope to be able to contribute my experience as it grows.

Cheers ...

You won't need to use any custom ROMs or kernels, but I'm sure some folks here will be able to advise you of good ones if you want to custom ROM it.

If the S3 is going to be dedicated playback device I'd use 3M low profile dual lock tape to affix them together.

Feb 9, 2014 at 7:57 PM Post #4,075 of 9,526
Picture! Note the led on on the hifimediy!

sebe2u3e.jpg

And right now even working WITHOUT UAPP allowing any music software including streaming services to go through the USB DAC after installing jack Norris patch which you can find here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2029728

Please note: go to the end of the thread linked above in order to download patch 1.2 for 4.4 version

The only thing missing is volume control.

Best!

How did you get the Jack Norris installed on your nexus 4?  I have the same: nexus 4, wi otg + hells-core kernel and want to stream google music prime.  I found the link for the patch but don't understand how to install it on my phone.  Can you please help.

Sure,

Just go to the page linked with your PC, download the last version on one of the last pages. You need to run it on your PC while you're connected USB and follow screen instructions. Did you try? Where are you stucked?

Feb 9, 2014 at 11:08 PM Post #4,076 of 9,526
Recently purchased a Sabre HifimeDIY Android DAC and a Fiio E7.. Wondering if either/both will work with my Galaxy S4 i9505?
I had planned to use the Fiio with my 80gb ipod classic 5g, but if I can use it on both, even better...

edit: Scratch that, just saw the post a few pages back concerning what works with the Galaxy S4. Answered my question :wink:

Feb 10, 2014 at 4:54 AM Post #4,078 of 9,526
I openned the patch.
have debugging on my nexus 4 activated.
command line after first 2 promps ok, stuck on the third:
stuck at "adb waiting for device".
I downloaded the patch from this page on xda :http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2029728&page=36

Am I missing something?

Do I really need this patch? Can I run a fiio e07 from the micro usb on my nexus using only the ziddey otg patch which I have installed. I don't have the DAC yet. But I guess I'll have to get it to see if this works. Was hoping to run it into my ipod dock on my fatman system. I have all the cables. 

Feb 10, 2014 at 7:00 AM Post #4,079 of 9,526

Just picking up on this. On your S3 if you're using other apps (Spotify, Netflix, Google Play etc. etc.) can you adjust the volume fed to the Dragonfly using your phone's volume buttons or are you restricted to using USBAPP to adjust the levels (software volume control)?

I'm starting to think  if it's the latter the DF might not be a good match for the Moto G as I primarily use Spotify for listening. Space is also at a premium as I only have about 3gb useable space left after the OS and other apps.

Cheers!

The Dragonfly 1.2 only works for me through USBAPP.....so its restricted to the app's volume control.

Feb 10, 2014 at 9:46 AM Post #4,080 of 9,526

The Dragonfly 1.2 only works for me through USBAPP.....so its restricted to the app's volume control.

Thanks - I appreciate the confirmation.

Suspected that was probably the case, but hoped it wasn't. Looks like I'll have to dip my toes into Fiio waters (E18 a probable candidate) as there doesn't seem much else around that price point that offering full volume control.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back