Android phones and USB DACs
Feb 7, 2014 at 5:02 AM Post #4,051 of 9,526
You probably could, but you certainly shouldn't :)

Feb 7, 2014 at 6:55 AM Post #4,052 of 9,526
  Does anyone know if the ODAC is ok by iteslf to drive my Westone UM3x with Galaxy S3 using USBAPP? I prefer listening to the purest as possible  DAC output rather than amped because I believe amps colour the sound.

lol i would think a dac would color the sound more than an amp.

Feb 7, 2014 at 7:31 AM Post #4,053 of 9,526

Ok thanks. So you're saying I can't listen to the ODAC through the line-out ?

You can but you won't have any volume control.....at least that's what I found with my Moto G. Remains at a constant level regardless of how high or low the phone's volume is set. Doesn't sound great to my ears either, so I think money has a point when he says the sound is likely to be coloured.

Paired with an O2 amp it works very nicely though and sounds much better than plugging my headphones directly into the phone.

----

On a separate note has anyone had any luck using a Dragonfly (1.2) with their MotoG running 4.4?

I know it didn't work on 4.3 but hoping that KitKat may have changed this, as I'm thinking of buying one.

Feb 7, 2014 at 8:05 AM Post #4,054 of 9,526

You can but you won't have any volume control.....at least that's what I found with my Moto G. Remains at a constant level regardless of how high or low the phone's volume is set. Doesn't sound great to my ears either, so I think money has a point when he says the sound is likely to be coloured.

Paired with an O2 amp it works very nicely though and sounds much better than plugging my headphones directly into the phone.

----

On a separate note has anyone had any luck using a Dragonfly (1.2) with their MotoG running 4.4?

I know it didn't work on 4.3 but hoping that KitKat may have changed this, as I'm thinking of buying one.

Yeah, this was one consideration, but if I listen using USBAPP, I can use the software volume control.

Feb 7, 2014 at 9:07 AM Post #4,055 of 9,526

Yeah, this was one consideration, but if I listen using USBAPP, I can use the software volume control.

Ah, that's fair enough. I haven't tried USBAPP myself.

Whilst the volume being output from the ODAC was plenty loud enough for me it might not be for others, unless the software volume control can increase it further (if that's technically possible?).

I also didn't find the sound as pleasing (it wasn't bad though) as I did through the O2 amp but perhaps some EQing might help in that respect. The fixed volume may have also contributed to my perception as I'd ideally have liked it a notch less.

If there's a free version of the app available I'd be happy to try the volume control out and report back.

Feb 7, 2014 at 9:48 AM Post #4,056 of 9,526

Ah, that's fair enough. I haven't tried USBAPP myself.

Whilst the volume being output from the ODAC was plenty loud enough for me it might not be for others, unless the software volume control can increase it further (if that's technically possible?).

I also didn't find the sound as pleasing (it wasn't bad though) as I did through the O2 amp but perhaps some EQing might help in that respect. The fixed volume may have also contributed to my perception as I'd ideally have liked it a notch less.

If there's a free version of the app available I'd be happy to try the volume control out and report back.

Yeah cheers mate. I think there is a trial version. You'll probably like the app too. To my ears it sounds better than all my other audio playing apps. Maybe because it streams the digital audio straight to the external DAC, and bypasses the phone DAC.

PS. Be sure to adjust the gain in the digital mixer in the settings menu too, otherwise the volume will be too low.

Feb 7, 2014 at 9:53 AM Post #4,057 of 9,526
  ----

Not that this helps you, but- 1.2 Dragonfly works on my Galaxy S3 using USBAPP. The sound is awesome, so don't worry about the SQ.

PS- There's no volume control on the Dragonfly either, but the software volume from the app makes it louder than anyone would want.

Feb 7, 2014 at 9:56 AM Post #4,058 of 9,526
So, if we all need USBAPP to get the most out of the Note3, then we need some more advanced graphical UI (with cover arts), and dynamic Playlists

Look at Calyx M DAP UI:

In Calyx's playlist system, on the DAP, you can:

1 - Manage of dynamic playlists,  decide "play next", "play last"... 
2 - Change order of the songs inside a playlist by just dragging/sliding a song within the list (of the playlist). 

LOOK AT THIS DEMO OF CALYX UI !  Brillant !!

Feb 7, 2014 at 11:16 AM Post #4,059 of 9,526

Yeah cheers mate. I think there is a trial version. You'll probably like the app too. To my ears it sounds better than all my other audio playing apps. Maybe because it streams the digital audio straight to the external DAC, and bypasses the phone DAC.

PS. Be sure to adjust the gain in the digital mixer in the settings menu too, otherwise the volume will be too low.

Edit: Do'h...sorry, just noticed that there is a 'soft' volume slider on the right of the screen (was trying the buttons on my phone to start with). Can confirm that this works in terms of reducing the volume.

When I first used the app I wasn't getting any option to do anything with the mixer but after rebooting I get two sliders allowing me to adjust left/right volume control. By default both where set to the max (16) so I can't go any higher than I was getting before I installed the app. It is loud but not earbleedingly loud so might be an issue with quieter recordings or with some headphones.
  Not that this helps you, but- 1.2 Dragonfly works on my Galaxy S3 using USBAPP. The sound is awesome, so don't worry about the SQ.

PS- There's no volume control on the Dragonfly either, but the software volume from the app makes it louder than anyone would want.

Thanks for the impressions!  Unlike some of the Fiio dac/amps I was originally looking at the DF seems to be almost universally praised in terms of sound quality. Reliability also seems much less of an issue.

Feb 7, 2014 at 2:02 PM Post #4,060 of 9,526
Resonessence Labs Herus USB DAC/headphone out & Samsung Galaxy S3's native USB audio:
https://twitter.com/resonessence/status/405452479447314432/photo/1

"On the more compact and portable side - here is the new Resonessence Herus DAC, running directly from a Samsung Galaxy S3. This set up is even more impressive when you realise that the Herus has no battery. This means that the DAC is getting it's power from the phone's USB. The Epiphany E-DAC also manages this, but it doesn't quite reach this level of sound quality."
http://noblehifi.blogspot.fr/2013/11/headphone-demo-room-custom-cable.html

Feb 7, 2014 at 3:41 PM Post #4,061 of 9,526
Regarding Note 3 and USB OTG - it puts out quite a lot of power to connected devices, much more than any other phone I've used (I had basically every 2013 flagship phone, including more oddball ones like the Padfone Infinity). It's able to spin up and work with large 1tb+ sized portable drives, something no other phone I've tried is able to do.

Feb 8, 2014 at 2:20 AM Post #4,062 of 9,526
Hello all, I'm new to the forum, names Tim. ..I came across this thread looking for reviews on the dapp app 'cos I've got an issue:
I'm running Samsung S4 gt-i9505 Android 4.3, OTG, Fiio E17. When I scroll a long way through my music folder (as far as S for sheep) and try to select a track to play, dapp crashes : ( admittedly there's over 7 thousand tracks and that's a lot of scrolling!

Any one else got this issue?, or a work around?
All support is welcome

Feb 8, 2014 at 3:55 AM Post #4,063 of 9,526
Hello all, I'm new to the forum, names Tim. ..I came across this thread looking for reviews on the dapp app 'cos I've got an issue:
I'm running Samsung S4 gt-i9505 Android 4.3, OTG, Fiio E17. When I scroll a long way through my music folder (as far as S for sheep) and try to select a track to play, dapp crashes : ( admittedly there's over 7 thousand tracks and that's a lot of scrolling!

All support is welcome

Is that USB Audio Player Pro you're using? If so, go to the settings menu and shoot an email to the developers. Support is great.

Feb 8, 2014 at 6:32 AM Post #4,065 of 9,526

All support is welcome

Does the app ask to send a crash report? Oops, sorry, I saw you already sent an email, thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back