Android phones and USB DACs
Feb 5, 2014 at 10:20 AM Post #4,036 of 9,526
Thanks to DanBa for this updated list of Android devices that works with USB DAC.

A question about Sony Smartphone.
Is not easy to understand the models that support USB Audio.
I think that many device in the list is reported with the name used in the States, but I think that the name here in Europe is often different (is right?).
So, for example: the Xperia T is not in the list, but the Xperia TL is. Are this the same model or are different?
Can someone tell me wich cheap model in the Xperia gamma support USB Audio with the European name?

Many thanks!

Feb 5, 2014 at 8:38 PM Post #4,038 of 9,526
its been a while since ive been online in headfi.

the last time i tried a dac (fiio e17) didnt work with my s3 and my otg. do i need a specific kind of otg for this to work? how do i find out if my otg is id pin grounded?

Feb 5, 2014 at 9:02 PM Post #4,039 of 9,526
So ever since Jelly Bean update on my HTC One, USB OTG for various DACs stopped working. One DAC that my phone always worked well was the DAC in the WA7, but I had sold it before the Jelly Bean update so I couldn't confirm if it still worked. I since have upgraded to KitKat, but my various DACs still do not work with USB OTG. Today I received an Emotiva DC-1 and to my surprise, it worked with my phone! There was one caveat and that the volume on the phone was 100% or 0%. That's fine with me since I could use the DC-1 to control the volume. (I actually have the DC-1 set to fixed volume, and use my Quickie preamp for volume control.) So I looked more into the DAC chip in the DC-1 and I found that it was the newer version (C-Media 6631A) of the one in the WA7 (C-Media 6631) that had worked so seamlessly with my phone. I guess this DAC chip is just Android or at least HTC One friendly.

I'm using Poweramp on my phone and versus the computer, I can't choose upconversion into the DAC. One other thing I noticed was that for some reason the volume was somewhat lower when using the phone vs 100% volume coming from the computer. For example, 10 o'clock on the Quickie when using the computer is the same volume as 12 o'clock when using the phone. Does anyone know why this is? Does it have to do with the output USB power? Since the DC-1 has a dedicated power cord, I thought it wouldn't use USB power.

EDIT: Just tried unplugging it and plugging it back, and it's very inconsistent if it works. Sometimes it works but has a breaking up sound. Anyways it looks like Android is still not ready for primetime with DACs, or at least my phone and this DAC. O well.
blink.gif

Feb 5, 2014 at 11:43 PM Post #4,040 of 9,526
  So ever since Jelly Bean update on my HTC One, USB OTG for various DACs stopped working. One DAC that my phone always worked well was the DAC in the WA7, but I had sold it before the Jelly Bean update so I couldn't confirm if it still worked. I since have upgraded to KitKat, but my various DACs still do not work with USB OTG. Today I received an Emotiva DC-1 and to my surprise, it worked with my phone! There was one caveat and that the volume on the phone was 100% or 0%. That's fine with me since I could use the DC-1 to control the volume. (I actually have the DC-1 set to fixed volume, and use my Quickie preamp for volume control.) So I looked more into the DAC chip in the DC-1 and I found that it was the newer version (C-Media 6631A) of the one in the WA7 (C-Media 6631) that had worked so seamlessly with my phone. I guess this DAC chip is just Android or at least HTC One friendly.

I'm using Poweramp on my phone and versus the computer, I can't choose upconversion into the DAC. One other thing I noticed was that for some reason the volume was somewhat lower when using the phone vs 100% volume coming from the computer. For example, 10 o'clock on the Quickie when using the computer is the same volume as 12 o'clock when using the phone. Does anyone know why this is? Does it have to do with the output USB power? Since the DC-1 has a dedicated power cord, I thought it wouldn't use USB power.

EDIT: Just tried unplugging it and plugging it back, and it's very inconsistent if it works. Sometimes it works but has a breaking up sound. Anyways it looks like Android is still not ready for primetime with DACs, or at least my phone and this DAC. O well.
blink.gif

The C-Media 6631A chip is not the DAC, it's the USB controller. It's the same one that's in the Schiit Bifrost. It's supposed to support "USB Audio Device Class Definition Release v.2.0/1.0 compatible" which is pretty good. All we need is good support at the Android side. It seems like Samsung is on the ball with USB support. My Galaxy S3 has worked with USB Audio out of the box up to the last update, Android 4.3 not requiring any special software like USB Recorder and so on.

http://www.cmedia.com.tw/ProductsDetail/page-p/C1Serno-25/C2Serno-27/PSerno-43.html

Feb 6, 2014 at 12:06 AM Post #4,041 of 9,526
  its been a while since ive been online in headfi.

the last time i tried a dac (fiio e17) didnt work with my s3 and my otg. do i need a specific kind of otg for this to work? how do i find out if my otg is id pin grounded?

Assuming you are using your Galaxy S3 (i747) with stock 4.3 ROM it will now work with the Fiio E17.  I also have a S3 (i747m) which did not work with the E17 when it was on Android 4.1.2, but it works fine after the 4.3 upgrade.  Keep in mind that it is still limited to 16/44 to the E17 due to the stock usb audio driver.  If you want to feed 24/96 audio to the E17 you will need to use USB Audio Player Pro (UAPP, ~$10 on Google Play Store, free limited play demo/trial available) which uses its own custom usb audio driver which can actually go higher than 24/96, but the E17 can only handle 24/96 over USB.

As for a USB OTG cable for that setup, look for the Fiio L15 USB OTG cable.  It's relatively inexpensive (~$10 USD) and works with my S3+E17.  

Feb 6, 2014 at 3:15 AM Post #4,042 of 9,526

Assuming you are using your Galaxy S3 (i747) with stock 4.3 ROM it will now work with the Fiio E17.  I also have a S3 (i747m) which did not work with the E17 when it was on Android 4.1.2, but it works fine after the 4.3 upgrade.  Keep in mind that it is still limited to 16/44 to the E17 due to the stock usb audio driver.  If you want to feed 24/96 audio to the E17 you will need to use USB Audio Player Pro (UAPP, ~$10 on Google Play Store, free limited play demo/trial available) which uses its own custom usb audio driver which can actually go higher than 24/96, but the E17 can only handle 24/96 over USB.

As for a USB OTG cable for that setup, look for the Fiio L15 USB OTG cable.  It's relatively inexpensive (~$10 USD) and works with my S3+E17.  

thanks for the reply. im using a gt-i9300 (asian/international) s3 with the wolfson dac. im still on 4.1.2 rooted omega rom with a custom boeffla kernel that really makes the wolfson dac shine. it is much better than any ipod ive heard and even my audiophile friends are impressed.

i wanted to compare how the fiio would sound as compared to my present setup but i havent upgraded to the newer androids mainly because they lake the support of audio centric custom kernels. right now im not sure if i want to upgrade to jb or kk as ics has been very good soundwise.

Feb 6, 2014 at 3:28 AM Post #4,043 of 9,526
I didn't find the E17 DAC that impressive to be honest, if you don't need the amping I wouldn't necessarily bother with it over the inbuilt Wolfson with good custom kernels and audio tweaks.

Feb 6, 2014 at 3:49 AM Post #4,044 of 9,526
 how do i find out if my otg is id pin grounded?

Use a multimeter to measure resistance between pin 4 & 5 of the Mini/Micro USB connector.

If it's a standard OTG cable, they should be connected and have (near) 0 ohm resistance.
If there is no connectivity between the pins, it's not an OTG cable.
If there is a connection but with a different resistance, it could be a manufacturer/purpose specific cable...

Feb 6, 2014 at 4:26 AM Post #4,045 of 9,526
Started that thread on UAPP:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/704065/usb-audio-recorder-pro-uapp-24-and-32-bit-playback-ubiquitous-usb-audio-support-for-android

Though the poll might be a useful way to feedback about features.

Feb 6, 2014 at 6:28 AM Post #4,046 of 9,526
Resonessence Labs Herus USB DAC/headphone output & USB audio:
http://hifipig.com/resonessence-labs-herus-headphone-amplifier-with-integrated-dac/
http://afterdot.net/?p=3185

Samsung Galaxy S3 >> USB OTG adapter cable + regular USB cable >> Resonessence Labs Herus

Samsung Galaxy S3 >> modded USB OTG cable >> Resonessence Labs Herus

Feb 6, 2014 at 8:01 AM Post #4,047 of 9,526
Android 4.4.* broke the audio stream from my S3 i9300 to my Fiio E07K.
I am not sure why, and where to look. (kernel or rom)
Does anybody know which libs made the DAC work in the first place?

Cheers!

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9300 mit Tapatalk

Feb 7, 2014 at 3:33 AM Post #4,048 of 9,526
Does anyone know if the ODAC is ok by iteslf to drive my Westone UM3x with Galaxy S3 using USBAPP? I prefer listening to the purest as possible  DAC output rather than amped because I believe amps colour the sound.

Feb 7, 2014 at 4:05 AM Post #4,049 of 9,526
  Does anyone know if the ODAC is ok by iteslf to drive my Westone UM3x with Galaxy S3 using USBAPP? I prefer listening to the purest as possible  DAC output rather than amped because I believe amps colour the sound.

You cannot use the ODAC by itself, you need to add an amp to it. How much the sound is colored depends on the type of amp you're using

Users who are viewing this thread

Back