Android phones and USB DACs
Jul 1, 2012 at 8:30 AM Post #123 of 9,526
As the Samsung Galaxy S III can interwork with USB DAC like ODAC or Topping TP30, I think there is no audio switching issue with the S III.

Jul 1, 2012 at 9:42 AM Post #124 of 9,526
Quote:
As the Samsung Galaxy S III can interwork with USB DAC like ODAC or Topping TP30, I think there is no audio switching issue with the S III.

Yeah I saw that video so is it a problem that can be fixed or not? 

Or is the e17 likely to never be able to be used with the SGS3?

I don't really mind, i've been using the E17 for other devices anyway, just wish I could try it with SGS3 until Voodoo Sound gets released.

Jul 1, 2012 at 1:09 PM Post #125 of 9,526
I think it could be fixed.
If a USB DAC descriptor is really buggy, there is already a patch of the USB core module proposed by an ALSA expert.
Otherwise, as the Archos G9 tablet can interwork with the E17 and the USB core module of the Archos G9 tablet is slightly different, the kernel of the Samsung Galaxy S III could be re-built with the Archos USB core module.
I have to be sure of the root cause, then I’ll ask some XDA developer to fix it with a modded kernel.

Jul 1, 2012 at 4:54 PM Post #126 of 9,526
http://www.engadget.com/2012/06/30/gear4-speaker-dock-supports-usb-audio-for-jelly-bean-at-google-i/?m=false

Tadaa, the usb audio dock confirming usb audio in stock Jelly Bean :)

Jul 1, 2012 at 9:12 PM Post #127 of 9,526
Quote:
Bad news!

The USB DAC recommended by Google is a new type of device. It is not compatible with PC or Mac.

A legacy USB DAC compatible with PC / Mac acts as a USB device, and a PC / Mac acts as a USB host.
A USB DAC recommended by Google acts as a USB host, and a Android smartphone / tablet acts as a USB device.

I'm a little curious,
can this incompatibility problem be resolved by a specific app?

Jul 2, 2012 at 4:16 AM Post #128 of 9,526
As far as I understand, an Android 4.1 Jelly Bean-powered device can have both USB audio out modes: standard USB audio out and Android-specific USB audio out.
These features are at the Android kernel level.
http://developer.android.com/tools/adk/aoa2.html#audio-support

It should be easy to enable standard USB audio out and Android-specific USB audio out on an Android 4.1 Jelly Bean-powered device with USB host capability.

Jul 2, 2012 at 6:34 AM Post #129 of 9,526
I have a Galaxy Nexus running Jelly Bean right here on my desk and a Nexus 7 incoming. I should go sign up for that beta program...

Jul 2, 2012 at 4:29 PM Post #130 of 9,526
Quote:
I have a Galaxy Nexus running Jelly Bean right here on my desk and a Nexus 7 incoming. I should go sign up for that beta program...

no, you should sit there and stare at it... sarcasm :p, but in all seriousness, do sign up and let us know

Jul 3, 2012 at 2:27 PM Post #131 of 9,526
Quote:
no, you should sit there and stare at it... sarcasm :p, but in all seriousness, do sign up and let us know

I shot an email to Kevin Halverson, CTO of HRT so now we'll have to see if they will let anyone from outside the US join in. If so, there might be an NDA keeping me from letting you know, I'm afraid. 

I must say, the thought of a nice HRT dac with my Nexus 7, Galaxy Nexus or the new Nexus Q is pretty intriguing.

Jul 5, 2012 at 10:18 AM Post #134 of 9,526
Quote:
Anyone seen this?

http://www.engadget.com/2012/06/26/matrix-one-ics-tablet-hands-on/

Kind of looks like a cheap toy and the screen sucks, but it comes with a full sized USB port, microSD card in addition to the stand mini-usb charging port.  If you could hack this thing to host something like the ODAC, it could be quite a nice little media station.

Plus, it's dirt cheap.

Wow, I saw $99, Android 4.0.3, 2 USB ports (1X full and 1X micro), 1GB RAM and 16GB storage.
Does Android 4.0.3 support USB digital output as stock?   Edit: Looks like it does not. Android 4.1 released on Jun 27, 2012 should do that.
I thought about this:  Music on 500GB hard drive -> Tablet USB port #1 as USB host -> Tablet USB port #2 for digital output -> USB dac/amp -> Headphones. Fiio E10 would not work, right? I may then use either ODAC or Fiio E7.

Jul 5, 2012 at 1:17 PM Post #135 of 9,526
Quote:

Wow, I saw $99, Android 4.0.3, 2 USB ports (1X full and 1X micro), 1GB RAM and 16GB storage.
Does Android 4.0.3 support USB digital output as stock?   Edit: Looks like it does not. Android 4.1 released on Jun 27, 2012 should do that.
I thought about this:  Music on 500GB hard drive -> Tablet USB port #1 as USB host -> Tablet USB port #2 for digital output -> USB dac/amp -> Headphones. Fiio E10 would not work, right? I may then use either ODAC or Fiio E7.

$99 is for 4 gb of internal storage I believe - it's $169 or something for 16gb.

I also don't know what stock android will be capable of doing with a full-sized USB port.  Only Chromebooks and some Asus tablets/tablet docks come with full sized USB ports.

Anyone know?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back