Android phones and USB DACs
Jan 7, 2021 at 3:11 PM Post #9,423 of 9,526
Would UAPP have any usage if you are just bluetooth streaming from your phone? Something tells me probably not. I pay for Tidal Master for home usage and mostly just use HiFi when on the go figuring the limitations of Bluetooth.

Jan 7, 2021 at 4:46 PM Post #9,424 of 9,526
Hiby Player also uses the external DAC.

Jan 8, 2021 at 3:36 AM Post #9,426 of 9,526
Yes. UAPP is the best $ I have EVER spent on an app. If you are paying the cost of Tidal lossless, then you care about audio quality... why would you not pay $5 to have access to UAPP for the rest of your life?

Without UAPP, youre generally going to be using your phone's DAC and only the amp part of your external device. In the best case, you will output an upsampled digital stream to your external DAC.

Interesting note though... I read in Tidals FAQ a while back (I think thats where it was) that Tidal MQA requires bitperfect playback... but that doesnt make sense to me, since Tidal does not utilize bit perfect on my device, yet I still am notified via my MQA enabled device that it is playing MQA content?? Interesting, and confusing... oh yeah, it's audio stuff... it's all confusing :)
I wonder is there a free app that is kinda like uapp that will be a third party app player to play my tidal streaming music? I search that hiby music can bypass the android music system and utilizes your external dac dongle like uapp. Can hiby music app do it as well? If not is it only uapp that can do it and i have no choice then..

Jan 8, 2021 at 7:43 AM Post #9,427 of 9,526
I wonder is there a free app that is kinda like uapp that will be a third party app player to play my tidal streaming music? I search that hiby music can bypass the android music system and utilizes your external dac dongle like uapp. Can hiby music app do it as well? If not is it only uapp that can do it and i have no choice then..
Hiby app not accessing streaming services. UAPP has access to streaming services in the UAPP app itself. You sign into your account through the UAPP app and play through there. Only app with this possibility for now

Jan 8, 2021 at 10:06 AM Post #9,428 of 9,526
Hiby app not accessing streaming services. UAPP has access to streaming services in the UAPP app itself. You sign into your account through the UAPP app and play through there. Only app with this possibility for now
I'm new to this, but im just curious... How good of improvement a software like uapp can do on sound quality. Is it like a night and day difference or its better like it just made it louder?

Jan 8, 2021 at 10:29 AM Post #9,429 of 9,526
I'm new to this, but im just curious... How good of improvement a software like uapp can do on sound quality. Is it like a night and day difference or its better like it just made it louder?

Cleaner, less noise, but never really louder.

Note though that as with all software this can have bugs. Neutron Music Player sounds clean now even with the DSP features on but back when I had the SGS3 initially it had annoying electronic noise on it. An update months later fixed it, but ya know...months. Although to be fair even if I cranked up my VSonics it was barely there, where it was a huge problem was with my Aurisonics ASG-1.3 due to the very high sensitivity.

Jan 8, 2021 at 3:43 PM Post #9,430 of 9,526
Cleaner, less noise, but never really louder.

Note though that as with all software this can have bugs. Neutron Music Player sounds clean now even with the DSP features on but back when I had the SGS3 initially it had annoying electronic noise on it. An update months later fixed it, but ya know...months. Although to be fair even if I cranked up my VSonics it was barely there, where it was a huge problem was with my Aurisonics ASG-1.3 due to the very high sensitivity.
A good player should just send the digital signal. That's what Hiby does. But its user interface sucks IMHO.

Jan 10, 2021 at 9:39 PM Post #9,432 of 9,526
This is a screen shot of my uapp playing a song 'take on me'. I'm just using a trial version as I am evaluating if there is really a need to purchase this because of sound quality, in the screenshot it is seen that I am on 48khz in usb dac, is this already the highest i can squeeze out of my dac? Im using an ibasso dc03 in this case. I know it is not an mqa certified device and my trial doesn't permit me to unlock the mqa potential but so far, is this the best I can get with an external dac? I don't see any change in music quality to be honest.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2021-01-11-10-31-48-180_com.extreamsd.usbaudioplayerprotrial.jpg
    Screenshot_2021-01-11-10-31-48-180_com.extreamsd.usbaudioplayerprotrial.jpg
    599.6 KB · Views: 0
Jan 10, 2021 at 11:18 PM Post #9,434 of 9,526
is this already the highest i can squeeze out of my dac?

Your DAC is 32bit 384kHz PCM and DSD256 capable. Why not try out some appropriate test files from these: http://www.2l.no/hires/index.html (3rd and 10th column)

With the MQA plugin (w/ non MQA rederer device) you can get the first unfold. So you could go max at 24bit 88.2/96 kHz.

As Mikey has pointed out. MQA is lossy. Why go that route and pay addtional fees. While you can go lossless and no additional fee.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2021 at 12:10 AM Post #9,435 of 9,526
Your DAC is 32bit 384kHz PCM and DSD256 capable. Why not try out some appropriate test files from these: http://www.2l.no/hires/index.html (3rd and 10th column)

With the MQA plugin (w/ non MQA rederer device) you can get the first unfold. So you could go max at 24bit 88.2/96 kHz.

As Mikey has pointed out. MQA is lossy. Why go that route and pay addtional fees. While you can go lossless and no additional fee.
So pls tell me how to go lossless and no additional fee. You mean instead of using tidal mqa records, i download my own hi res music and still using uapp as my main player in an android phone with external USB dac/amp dongle? I just want to utilize my ibasso dc03's potential. Thank you showing me a link to test hi res files for free.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back