Android phones and USB DACs
Mar 20, 2017 at 12:25 PM Post #8,896 of 9,526
  Ah, ok I see. My experience is with a Nexus 6P that appeared to output everything at 192 to a Mojo...  This led me to dedicating an old Sony Xperia Z3C (running 4.4.4) to being a DAP as it uses a Sony driver to avoid android media layer.... That appears to output source rate from all apps to the DAC

The Z3 running 4.4.x seems to be a popular choice because it does USB audio properly and passes audio direct to the DAC. Later firmware versions lost this when USB audio became standard in Android, unfortunately the baked-in version isn't as good. Don't be tempted to update that Z3.

Mar 20, 2017 at 1:02 PM Post #8,897 of 9,526
  The Z3 running 4.4.x seems to be a popular choice because it does USB audio properly and passes audio direct to the DAC. Later firmware versions lost this when USB audio became standard in Android, unfortunately the baked-in version isn't as good. Don't be tempted to update that Z3.

Indeed!  I actually bought it second hand and the previous owner had "helpfully" updated it!  Hours of fun rooting and flashing ensued to get it back to stock 4.4.4!

Mar 20, 2017 at 1:51 PM Post #8,898 of 9,526

Any specific model of the Z3 to get? There's lots of T-mobile ones on eBay.

Mar 20, 2017 at 4:23 PM Post #8,899 of 9,526
Any specific model of the Z3 to get? There's lots of T-mobile ones on eBay.

I can certainly recommend the Z3 Compact. If it still runs 4.4.4 it'll save you the hassles I had of  trying to "downgrade". Other than the USB advantages, the Z3 and Z3C take SD cards - a big as you can get... I use a 200G card happily (just format it FAT).
The Compact is a decent size to pair with a DAC like the mojo as well.

Mar 21, 2017 at 11:10 AM Post #8,901 of 9,526
Mar 21, 2017 at 3:25 PM Post #8,902 of 9,526
UAPP will upsample to your DAC's highest rate.

Mar 21, 2017 at 6:13 PM Post #8,903 of 9,526
UAPP will upsample to your DAC's highest rate.

I use Bitperfect option in UAPP, but yes, you can get UAPP to upsample. I don't like it though. Hiby will also upsample.

Conversely, on my iPhone, i did like Onkyo's upsampling though.

Regardless, this won't help solve OP's problem of upsampling every audio app to the maximum rate supported by his DAC, ostensibly to stream.

Mar 22, 2017 at 12:45 AM Post #8,904 of 9,526
I use Bitperfect option in UAPP, but yes, you can get UAPP to upsample. I don't like it though. Hiby will also upsample.

Conversely, on my iPhone, i did like Onkyo's upsampling though.

Regardless, this won't help solve OP's problem of upsampling every audio app to the maximum rate supported by his DAC, ostensibly to stream.

With the speed and quality of the processors and software/algorithms in our modern devices how big of a deal is re-sampling? Clearly up-sampling can't add information that was never present in the first place but how much audible difference is there between the bitperfect and re-sampled stream?

For on the go use with a multipurpose device such as a phone/tablet should we really be too uptight about achieving bitperfect playback if the quality of any re-sampled audio is perfectly acceptable.

Mar 22, 2017 at 2:06 AM Post #8,905 of 9,526
IME, and to my ears, I prefer/better SQ on materials played Bitperfect on UAPP than upsampled (to DSD128, highest option) to Onkyo HF.

Mar 22, 2017 at 2:45 AM Post #8,906 of 9,526
IME, and to my ears, I prefer/better SQ on materials played Bitperfect on UAPP than upsampled (to DSD128, highest option) to Onkyo HF.

In my previous post I used the term bitperfect when in reality it was probably more appropriate to say 'correct sample rate'. As we know anything going through the Android audio system won't be bitperfect as it will hopefully through the Android DSP and volume control.

What are your thoughts on the audio quality of music that has been resample when there is no choice but to go through the Android audio system, Spotify for example.

I agree that there is a difference between audio going through Android and going through UAPP in bitperfect mode, how much of that is linked with sample rates and how much is Android DSP I don't know.

Mar 22, 2017 at 4:39 AM Post #8,907 of 9,526
Players having built in USB drivers (UAPP, Onkyo HF, HibyMusic, Neutron MP etc.) bypasses ASL (Android Sound Layer) and passes audio directly to DAC/DAC Amps thru USB or USB OTG cables (some phones doesn't require OTG). 

If through ASL or using your smartphone by its self w/ or w/o a built in DAC (I have an LG V20), i still yet to see an app that passes the 24/192 barrier. UAPP, Onkyo HF, HibyMusic, Neutron MP, Poweramp Beta 704 can't play DSD alone (as is -> no conversion) in my LG V20 even its DAC supports it (on paper). Other apps I haven't have a clue how to verify. Apps have different sounds (little experiment: LINK) .

Basing on the premise above, playing thru the ASL, some apps can still upsample everything to 24/192. And have found favorable results. Not substantial, but there is an improvement. Depending on the source. On materials with better recording/conversion,  i have found there was little difference or have trouble discerning w/c is w/c (had a little experiment with Adobe Audition converting a 32bit wavefile to mp3/flac using best possible settings and it really sounds like the original -> to me).

On UAPP in bitperfect mode. I THINK, if i recall it correctly,  Davy (developer) says, files are converted to 32 bit float before outputing to 16/44 or 16/48. Bitperfect stuffs AS IS, no conversions, so no loosing of bits.

Hope had some help.

Mar 22, 2017 at 5:19 AM Post #8,908 of 9,526
m-i-c-k-e-yYour comment about favourable results when upsampling is interesting when you consider how many people seem to strive for bitperfect and consider any sort of resampling to be unacceptable.

I'm not sure I really hear much difference when audio is going through the media-layer but I certainly don't have any issues with it.

Mar 22, 2017 at 5:37 AM Post #8,909 of 9,526
Sorry for not explaining further!

When I  said favorable results on upsampling. I referred it to the default sound, that dosen't mean I prefer it in general.
tongue.gif

One of the best things in Android Audio is when Davy placed a Bitperfect option on its UAPP.

So to my ears, Bitperfect is my preference. Then upsample second. 

Mar 22, 2017 at 9:02 AM Post #8,910 of 9,526
Upsampling has an effect, to my ears, of increasing airyness and sparkle slightly.

Depends if you like it. I have my moods.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back