Android phones and USB DACs
Oct 25, 2014 at 1:26 PM Post #5,581 of 9,526
Can't seem to get Hifimediy U2 Sabre Async dac to work with Galaxy S3 even though it's listed by UAPP as compatible.

If I connect it with OTG cable, then the green light on the DAC doesn't light up or just flickers momentarily

With the DAC powered from a p/s using a special injector cable (that goes into the OTG cable), then it does light up green but UAPP says no device connected.

Anyone else been able to get this DAC to work?    TIA

Oct 25, 2014 at 6:20 PM Post #5,582 of 9,526
  HiSonus UFO-DSD USB DAC/amp:
http://positive-feedback.com/Issue74/ufo_dsd.htm
http://blog.naver.com/PostView.nhn?blogId=ds1dta&logNo=20201105400

Samsung Galaxy S4 >> USB OTG cable >> HiSonus UFO-DSD >> headphones

Samsung Galaxy S4 >> USB OTG-Y cable powered by a 5V power bank >> HiSonus UFO-DSD >> headphones

What kind of OTG Cable do you use? Looks like an after market to me :)

Oct 26, 2014 at 9:11 AM Post #5,584 of 9,526
  These pictures are extracted from a Korean blog.
According to the linked article, the USB OTG cables are from WireDream, a Korean company:
http://www.wiredream.co.kr/

Thanks!

Oct 26, 2014 at 7:44 PM Post #5,585 of 9,526
  Can't seem to get Hifimediy U2 Sabre Async dac to work with Galaxy S3 even though it's listed by UAPP as compatible.

If I connect it with OTG cable, then the green light on the DAC doesn't light up or just flickers momentarily

With the DAC powered from a p/s using a special injector cable (that goes into the OTG cable), then it does light up green but UAPP says no device connected.

Anyone else been able to get this DAC to work?    TIA

May be a power problem.I own a Hifimediy U2 asynch with my ZTE smartphone, when the battery drops below 30%, it happens that the DAC is no longer recognized. The solution is to use a Y OTG cable with the charger on the other side and after to load the UAPP software. 

If the problem happens when the Smartphone is fully loaded, it may be something else like a bad OTG cable.

Oct 28, 2014 at 12:13 AM Post #5,586 of 9,526
Hey guys, I am kind of new to the audiophile world, and am currently using a Note 2 + Klipsch S4. I am going to upgrade to a nicer pair of IEM soon (probably in the 150$ range, something like Yamaha EPH-100 or Sony XBA-H1) and I am wondering whether it would be worthwhile to get a small usb DAC/amp combo (Microstreamer or Dragonfly) as well to sue with USB OTG. My point is, since I am not using very high-end iems, do you think I would even notice the difference between the built-in DAC of my smartphone and a dedicated (but small) external DAC (especially considering it would end up costing as much as the IEM themselves)? If so, which model would you recommend?

Thanks in advance for any input, it is greatly appreciated!

Oct 28, 2014 at 1:51 AM Post #5,587 of 9,526
Hey guys, I am kind of new to the audiophile world, and am currently using a Note 2 + Klipsch S4. I am going to upgrade to a nicer pair of IEM soon (probably in the 150$ range, something like Yamaha EPH-100 or Sony XBA-H1) and I am wondering whether it would be worthwhile to get a small usb DAC/amp combo (Microstreamer or Dragonfly) as well to sue with USB OTG. My point is, since I am not using very high-end iems, do you think I would even notice the difference between the built-in DAC of my smartphone and a dedicated (but small) external DAC (especially considering it would end up costing as much as the IEM themselves)? If so, which model would you recommend?

Thanks in advance for any input, it is greatly appreciated!
Well generally, I believe audio, as with all technology, is subjected to the law of diminishing returns. So that basically means you definitely will see improvements at mentioned price points which will marginally decrease as you scale higher price tiers. That being said, recommendations will vary/matter depending on your taste. For a start, and based on personal experience, do check out the dragonfly v1.2, fiio e17 and for iems, perhaps the jvc fxz100/200 and vsonic gr07. Great all-rounders, forgiving and an awesome introduction to hifi. Enjoy :)

Oct 28, 2014 at 3:10 AM Post #5,588 of 9,526
Originally Posted by ThePrince425

Well generally, I believe audio, as with all technology, is subjected to the law of diminishing returns. So that basically means you definitely will see improvements at mentioned price points which will marginally decrease as you scale higher price tiers. That being said, recommendations will vary/matter depending on your taste. For a start, and based on personal experience, do check out the dragonfly v1.2, fiio e17 and for iems, perhaps the jvc fxz100/200 and vsonic gr07. Great all-rounders, forgiving and an awesome introduction to hifi. Enjoy 

Thanks for the quick reply, I am trying to find some place close to where I work where I can sit down and compare the output straight out of my Note with that of Note>DAC/amp to see how much of a difference that makes. Should be the best way to make a decision, since I am quite wary of spending 150$+ on a DAC when I could put that into my IEM budget...

Oct 28, 2014 at 10:12 AM Post #5,589 of 9,526
  May be a power problem.I own a Hifimediy U2 asynch with my ZTE smartphone, when the battery drops below 30%, it happens that the DAC is no longer recognized. The solution is to use a Y OTG cable with the charger on the other side and after to load the UAPP software. 

If the problem happens when the Smartphone is fully loaded, it may be something else like a bad OTG cable.

Hi

I tried it yesterday with the same beefy Teredak linear power supply (mAh unknown) that I usually use when my U2 is connected to my PC. UAPP played the file but, strangely, with no sound!  Of course, this supply would be useless for taking the S3 / U2 on the road. 

What mA is your charger rated at, out of interest?

The only portable option I have for powering the U2 is an Anker Astro 6400 mAh external battery but UAPP doesn't work, as detailed in my earlier post.

BTW, I'm using this injector cable with the 5V pin broken (as used with my PC):

https://linitx.com/product/5v-power-injector-for-usb-on-rb411uahr-and-rb493g/12849

Maybe a Y-cable (OTG) would be better?

Oct 28, 2014 at 10:51 AM Post #5,590 of 9,526

What mA is your charger rated at, out of interest?

I'm just using the smartphone charger with a Y OTG USB cable like this one :

I first connect the charger to 220V, other side to the Y cable and plug the phone (phone is charging). I connect the DAC to the Y cable and last, I open UAPP.
But if the phone battery is ok (more than 50%), I don't need the charger. May be your OTG cable is not good.

Oct 28, 2014 at 11:19 AM Post #5,591 of 9,526
 May be your OTG cable is not good.

That's possible but it allows me to connect usb thumb drives successfully to the S3, so seems okay.

I have a regular Y-Cable OTG on order and will see if that makes a difference compared to the injector cable + OTG cable 
regular_smile .gif

Oct 28, 2014 at 12:25 PM Post #5,592 of 9,526

Thanks for the quick reply, I am trying to find some place close to where I work where I can sit down and compare the output straight out of my Note with that of Note>DAC/amp to see how much of a difference that makes. Should be the best way to make a decision, since I am quite wary of spending 150$+ on a DAC when I could put that into my IEM budget...

You will certainly hear the benefits of an external DAC even with no so expensive phones.

Phones can certainly not render what the source of sound does not deliver. With an external DAC you care for the source. I am using the Dragonfly 1.2 with great satisfaction. Invest also into good players, like the UBS Audio Player Pro.

Of course, the better the phones, the greater the benefit. As an example, even very standard 128-MP3 benefits from the Dragonfly. But 16/44.1 shines.

Enjoy it.

Oct 29, 2014 at 2:06 AM Post #5,593 of 9,526

This is a late answer to a question asked in August concerning the smb URL in USB Audio Player Pro (UAPP) for accessing media sources on other devices:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/5220#post_10810592.

Samba is a file transfer protocol which makes Unix/Linux (Android) servers capable of interacting with Windows clients (an external disk or NAS). More about this can be found here: http://www.samba.org/samba/what_is_samba.html.

Samba works only on local networks: no chance to get a transfer over the Internet. But it works fine in the local network: I can access an external disk without running the computer.

This makes the identification of the addressed device very easy. In the field smb:// in UAPP, type the device's name as it appears in the Network and Sharing Center of your Windows operating system. Having installed a Western Digital My Cloud on a Windows 7 Home system, I just typed WDMyCloud.

Thanks to Davy Wentzler for having provided the information. UAPP has good support.

Addendum 30.10.2014
For those really interested (I am not): it seams that Samba is just a open source implementation of the Windows Network known as Server Message Block (SMB...), as explained in following article:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Server_Message_Block

Disclaimer

This message is not intended as a recommendation for WDMyCloud devices.

Oct 29, 2014 at 7:54 PM Post #5,594 of 9,526
rhadorn :
This makes the identification of the addressed device very easy. In the field smb:// in UAPP, type the device's name as it appears in the Network and Sharing Center of your Windows operating system. Having installed a Western Digital My Cloud on a Windows 7 Home system, I just typed WDMyCloud. 

Hi,

I wondered how this worked but was afraid to ask !

Well, I've just bought a new phone and wanted to try out UAPP so instead of transferring some music files on to it, I thought I would try this out !

So, is it meant to work with other Android devices on the network ? I use BubbleUPnP ( an Android app ) quite easily and together with a component the Bubble folk have provided for Foobar ( Windows ) I can play/render virtually any music file on one device to another and even copy files ( in some directions ). However, this does not , of course, work with UAPP.

So I started Bubble on my Xperia which then appears on my network - trouble is there are 3 different names, so I put each one ( in turn - not all at once ! ) into the field after ' smb:// '. None of them worked and each time I got a message saying : ' network failure '.

I tried with name of my computer and it failed with a different message about bad user name or password ( I didn't put any passwords in because I don't use one with my computer ).

It would be very useful to get this working so any advice or further explanation would be gratefully received !

Oct 30, 2014 at 3:52 AM Post #5,595 of 9,526
  rhadorn :
Hi,

I wondered how this worked but was afraid to ask !

Well, I've just bought a new phone and wanted to try out UAPP so instead of transferring some music files on to it, I thought I would try this out !

So, is it meant to work with other Android devices on the network ? I use BubbleUPnP ( an Android app ) quite easily and together with a component the Bubble folk have provided for Foobar ( Windows ) I can play/render virtually any music file on one device to another and even copy files ( in some directions ). However, this does not , of course, work with UAPP.

So I started Bubble on my Xperia which then appears on my network - trouble is there are 3 different names, so I put each one ( in turn - not all at once ! ) into the field after ' smb:// '. None of them worked and each time I got a message saying : ' network failure '.

I tried with name of my computer and it failed with a different message about bad user name or password ( I didn't put any passwords in because I don't use one with my computer ).

It would be very useful to get this working so any advice or further explanation would be gratefully received !

First, it would be really fine to know from you whether the set up described in the message cited by you works or not: just starting UAPP on the Xperia and defining a Network to an external disk. You can define several distinct ones but must select the one you want before playing...

Second, if you want to use UAPP, you have to let it in control of the operations. Your setup makes me think of a guy, who climbs into his red car to drive the blue one to the garage. In addition and in my understanding, the smb address links to a share (directory structure) and not to a library.

Bubble (which I did not know so far) seems a very interesting app for controlling playback on a very general level. I suspect nevertheless that it takes on every renderer just the default app for playback, in your case the default player on your Xperia. If it would let you more choices, you should see UAPP in the list of the renderers in Bubble and since you define the source library in Bubble, you would'nt need the smb address in UAPP...

UAPP is a high quality player for the benefits of which many users are ready to accept some restrictions for the time being.

Just my understanding of your case. Other understandings welcome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back