Android phones and USB DACs
Sep 4, 2013 at 9:18 AM Post #3,031 of 9,526

According to HRT, the microStreamer has a digitally-controlled analog volume control:
http://highresolutiontechnologies.com/microstreamer

"Dual purpose built, it incorporates both a high–performance headphone amplifier with an analog volume control that allows you to connect the microStreamer between your computer and headphones; and a fixed-level, low impedance 2.25V line output that allows you to connect between your computer and home stereo, other entertainment system or to powered loudspeakers.
Volume control of microStreamer’s OCL (output capacitor-less) headphone amplifier is accomplished by using the digital ‘slide’ control on the host computer’s music playback software to adjust microStreamers’s internal analog volume attenuator. This clever analogue attenuation arrangement allows the full audio quality of the microStreamer to remain pure, clean and full-ranged, avoiding the known sonic degradation of digital attenuators."

http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/2790#post_9674021

Such an analog volume control of the USB DAC/amp is adjusted by a virtual or physical up/down knob of the PC which has an implementation of USB HID (Human Interface Device).
The digital volume control of the USB DAC/amp is adjusted by a virtual up/down knob of a music player running on the PC.

I don’t have a USB DAC/amp which has a digitally-controlled analog volume control, I don’t know if Android device has an implementation of USB HID.

Yes, digitally controlled analog volume.  Unfortunately, at least the Android 4.1.2 with the Touchwiz overlay that I am running on the Note II cannot control the volume controls of the Microstreamer.  It is ok with my Momentums, but basically unlistenable with my W4Rs.  This is why I am excited for the GEEK, which has analog controls on the device with a similar form factor.  The only issue with it is that it will be a 32 bit device that might be harder for Android to deal with and it might draw too much power to use without an external hub (defeating the whole point of something so small).  The Microstreamer, BTW is excellent with a laptop.

Sep 4, 2013 at 9:30 AM Post #3,032 of 9,526
THIS are good news:

Meizu MX3 unveiled with Exynos 5 Octa, 5.1-inch screen, Wolfson audio and 128GB option 

Another notable feature is that the MX3 comes with a Wolfson audio chip, which apparently enables a high 113dB signal-to-noise ratio plus a low distortion rate of just 0.002 percent. Like some of the latest Chinese flagship phones, you'll also find Dirac HD codec and a dedicated audio amplifier on the here. On a related subject, the MX3 has a triple-mic setup -- just like the Moto X -- for improved voice quality.
The price goes from CN¥2,499 (about US$410) for the 16GB model, all the way up to CN¥3,999 (US$650) for a whopping 128GB option

http://www.engadget.com/2013/09/02/meizu-mx3-launched/

Sep 4, 2013 at 9:35 AM Post #3,033 of 9,526
   The only issue with it is that it will be a 32 bit device that might be harder for Android to deal with and it might draw too much power to use without an external hub (defeating the whole point of something so small).  

Dunno about the Geek, but a 32bit/384kHz M2Tech HiFace DAC is not a problem for a properly designed Android device like SGS3. It turned out a little problematic for a weaker Android phone, like Xperia Sola, but my wild guess is that a Sola is simply not powerfull enough to handle high bit rate digital audio in real time. Initially I tend to think it was due to power issues on Xperia OTG, but now I suspect it might be simply a matter of computing power and latency.  

Sep 4, 2013 at 9:47 AM Post #3,034 of 9,526
  THIS are good news:

Meizu MX3 unveiled with Exynos 5 Octa, 5.1-inch screen, Wolfson audio and 128GB option 

Another notable feature is that the MX3 comes with a Wolfson audio chip, which apparently enables a high 113dB signal-to-noise ratio plus a low distortion rate of just 0.002 percent. Like some of the latest Chinese flagship phones, you'll also find Dirac HD codec and a dedicated audio amplifier on the here. On a related subject, the MX3 has a triple-mic setup -- just like the Moto X -- for improved voice quality.
The price goes from CN¥2,499 (about US$410) for the 16GB model, all the way up to CN¥3,999 (US$650) for a whopping 128GB option

http://www.engadget.com/2013/09/02/meizu-mx3-launched/

Thing with Meizus is, they're pretty great on their own, at least for IEMs. I've read a review on MX 4-core that stated it had the blackest background and overall one of the best SQ among portable devices, including DAPs. Not every external DAC/amp will be an improvement with them.

EDIT: Here's the review, actually:
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/sound-smartphone-meizu-mx-4-core
Obviously, there's more, but this one comes from an audiophile.

Sep 4, 2013 at 9:56 AM Post #3,035 of 9,526

Dunno about the Geek, but a 32bit/384kHz M2Tech HiFace DAC is not a problem for a properly designed Android device like SGS3. It turned out a little problematic for a weaker Android phone, like Xperia Sola, but my wild guess is that a Sola is simply not powerfull enough to handle high bit rate digital audio in real time. Initially I tend to think it was due to power issues on Xperia OTG, but now I suspect it might be simply a matter of computing power and latency.  

The GEEK is also a headphone amplifier that for base model can put out 450mW.  The top version is at a full 1W.  I am not sure how they generate that kind of power from a USB port (I have only rudimentary engineering knowledge), but I can imagine it is drawing more than a lot of DACs.  The 32 bits not about power, but rather the complexity of the codec.  So far, no 24/192 device with custom drivers has worked with my Note II.  And neither has a 32bite device.  Just about all 24/96 devices have (USB 1.0 spec).  As for processing power, the Note II has the same processor, but higher clock speed as the SG3, so that shouldn't be a limiting factor.  

Sep 4, 2013 at 4:09 PM Post #3,036 of 9,526
The GEEK is also a headphone amplifier that for base model can put out 450mW.  The top version is at a full 1W.  I am not sure how they generate that kind of power from a USB port (I have only rudimentary engineering knowledge), but I can imagine it is drawing more than a lot of DACs.  The 32 bits not about power, but rather the complexity of the codec.  So far, no 24/192 device with custom drivers has worked with my Note II.  And neither has a 32bite device.  Just about all 24/96 devices have (USB 1.0 spec).  As for processing power, the Note II has the same processor, but higher clock speed as the SG3, so that shouldn't be a limiting factor.  

If you have a good store near you, carrying M2Tech, just stop by and give it a try.

Sep 4, 2013 at 4:46 PM Post #3,037 of 9,526
  Hi, I've just been lurking in this thread for some time. I own a Behringer UCA202 and just recently got a SGS3. I bought a USB OTG cable a while ago and I'm happy to report that I was able to get it working. :)

Here are some photos:

293408_4217301504386_1821612623_n.jpg

A1ecCcYCEAAqwRd.jpg:large
(sorry for the crappy photos, just took them with a low-spec'd phone, LOL)

What model of galaxy S3 you have? I have the Rogers Galaxy S3 I747M with 4.1.2 and would like to use the Behringer UCA202 to have the  best sound to connect to my Home Harmon Receiver. Are you able to play Flac files with this setup?
Thank you
Daniel

Sep 5, 2013 at 3:07 AM Post #3,038 of 9,526
 does anyone have any details about the new Samsung note 3 supporting 24bit-192k audio files?

...can it output through USB  24/192 ...  Or at least 24/96 ? 

Sep 5, 2013 at 7:19 AM Post #3,040 of 9,526
Sep 5, 2013 at 7:33 AM Post #3,041 of 9,526
Sounds promissing, if only it's not the same way LG went
(i.e. it's 24/192 if processed internally, but back to 16/48 if output via USB (if ever...)  <-- THIS IS REALLY STUPID FROM LG !!! 
mad.gif

Sep 5, 2013 at 2:20 PM Post #3,042 of 9,526
USB audio & Minix Neo X7 Android mini PC:
http://minixforums.com/threads/usb-audio-support.2199/#post-16767

Minix Neo X7 > USB audio out >> FiiO E07K USB DAC >> FiiO E09K amp >> headphones

Sep 5, 2013 at 3:02 PM Post #3,043 of 9,526
I wonder if Android mini PC can have UARP installed...

Sep 5, 2013 at 4:10 PM Post #3,044 of 9,526
I wonder if Android mini PC can have UARP installed...

It should be able to get USB Audio Recorder PRO installed on an Android mini PC.

"The MiniX NEO X7 is a brand new Android TV Box with an extreme powerful Quadcore Processor and 2GB RAM. The newest Android Version 4.2 and the Google Play Store gives you full access to all your favorite apps."
http://www.minix-europe.com/MiniX-NEO-X7-Android-42-Quad-Core-Smart-TV-Box_1

Hopefully, the FiiO E07K will be tested with the Minix Neo X7 Android mini PC using USB Audio Recorder PRO.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/638910/fiio-e07k-andes-review-and-help-thread/945#post_9776498

Users who are viewing this thread

Back