Android phones and USB DACs
Jul 18, 2013 at 1:08 PM Post #2,641 of 9,526
Quote:
@keabler: I went on a bit of a DAC/amp spree a little while back and found the Glacier to be arguably the most ergonomically well-suited to use with a mobile phone of the devices I had (iBasso D6, iBasso D-Zero, Apex Glacier, Leckerton UHA-6S Mk.II, and Meier Audio PCSTEP). I actually like the form factor of the D-Zero best of all because it's so tiny, but since the Glacier was roughly the same size as my Galaxy S3, I think I liked it a touch better overall (gave me more space to rubberband to the phone without being too thick). Personally, I liked the sound of the Meier amp better, but found its ergonomics to be wanting for a mobile device (I did a review in a different thread on the comparison of the two). I haven't directly compared the Meier to the Leckerton, but I generally find them to be in the same tier in terms of audio quality and think the Leck has a shape and size that's more conducive to use with a phone than the Meier. There are more options out there to be sure, but hopefully this will give you something to research :wink:

@Raenmor: Anything that gets us even a half-step closer to universal compatibility between Android devices and USB DACs is a win in my book-- thanks for the work, man!! If you end up finding a way to create a service that would allow any s/w player to utilize a USB DAC, it looks like that would be pretty easy to monetize that with all the interest around this. There are a few people already working on it (most notably eXtream, who wrote the USB Audio Recorder Pro app), and whoever gets a functional version to market first stands to make a bit of money, I would imagine. Hope you keep up the work :wink:

I would think an app that did nothing more than allow the phone to output a digital signal through  the USB port wile using any music app would be very popular. I'd pay for it.

Jul 18, 2013 at 4:05 PM Post #2,644 of 9,526
Anyone else having issues with USB Audio & their Galaxy S3 in the last couple of days? My Verizon Galaxy S3 is stock (running TouchWiz). USB Audio with my ODAC has worked flawlessly for the past number of months. Updated to JB 4.1.2 (TouchWiz) a couple of weeks ago and was still working fine afterwards. In the last couple of days, when I plug in the ODAC, it states "USB device connected".. then a couple of seconds later, it says, "USB device disconnected." Very strange.

Jul 18, 2013 at 7:53 PM Post #2,645 of 9,526
Quote:
Please, tell me how can I make Fiio E17 work with Xperia Neo via USB audio recorder pro. When I turn the recorder on in claims: "Failed to initialize USB device. The device was opened, but the USB stack did not configure it. This usually happens when the device consumes too much power". I turned the USB charge on Fiio off, but it still doesn't work. Can I make it work without using a powered USB-host?

The Xperia Neo can’t probably supply the MaxPower required by the FiiO E17.

Configuration Descriptor:
wTotalLength:       0x00EF
bNumInterfaces:       0x03
bConfigurationValue:  0x01
iConfiguration:       0x00
bmAttributes:         0x80 (Bus Powered )
MaxPower:             0xFA (500 Ma)

If it is the case, you have to use a powered USB hub.

Jul 19, 2013 at 4:37 AM Post #2,647 of 9,526
I am wondering why the  FiiO E18 is the world's first portable USB digital to analog converter / headphone amplifier for Android devices.
Is is the first Android Jelly Bean-specific USB DAC?

Jelly Bean-powered Android phone acting as USB peripheral > Android-specific digital USB audio out >> USB cable >> FiiO E18 acting as USB host >> headphones ?

An Android Jelly Bean-powered smartphone/tablet can have:
. an Android-specific USB audio out capability (or USB audio accessory capability), or/and
. a standard USB audio out capability (or USB audio host capability)
http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/135#post_8508754

An Android Jelly Bean-specific USB DAC acts as a USB host, and an Android Jelly Bean smartphone/tablet acts as a USB peripheral.
The Android-specific USB DAC acts as a USB host, and provides power to the Android Jelly Bean smartphone/tablet.
http://developer.android.com/guide/topics/connectivity/usb/accessory.html

A standard USB DAC compatible with PC / Mac acts as a USB peripheral, and a PC / Mac / OTG-capable Android smartphone/tablet acts as a USB host.
The USB host provides power to a bus-powered USB DAC.
The USB host doesn’t provide power to a self-powered USB DAC.
A standard ACA-capable USB DAC or an external power supply can provide power to an ACA-capable Android USB host.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/2580#post_9598490
http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/2625#post_9614979

Jul 19, 2013 at 4:56 AM Post #2,648 of 9,526
Quote:
Anyone else having issues with USB Audio & their Galaxy S3 in the last couple of days? My Verizon Galaxy S3 is stock (running TouchWiz). USB Audio with my ODAC has worked flawlessly for the past number of months. Updated to JB 4.1.2 (TouchWiz) a couple of weeks ago and was still working fine afterwards. In the last couple of days, when I plug in the ODAC, it states "USB device connected".. then a couple of seconds later, it says, "USB device disconnected." Very strange.

Nothing to be surprise about, that's just things wearing out. Most likely your USB cable pins wearing down after multiple insertions and not making proper contact or misaligned. Try changing cables. Hopefully it's not the phone port that's worn out.

Jul 19, 2013 at 6:38 AM Post #2,649 of 9,526
Quote:

I would think an app that did nothing more than allow the phone to output a digital signal through  the USB port wile using any music app would be very popular. I'd pay for it.

Working on it, although the music apps must specifically support it. There is no way around it on non-rooted devices.

Jul 19, 2013 at 8:34 AM Post #2,650 of 9,526
anyone tried usb audio through xperia SP??
Also, if anyone knows, does it need micro-A or micro-B otg?

By Danba's gracious posts and threads i have figured out that it must be micro-B while am sure that Xperia S has micro-A or micro-AB port which in case of xperia SP is different.

Anywho, i have ordered otg cable from ebay, though the pin looks like micro-B but am not sure though. As soon as i get it, i 'll post here.

kudos to danba for everything he did for this commmunity. (The amount of work and deliberation i could only think, from head-fi to sony websites to xda all i could find is his awesome posts everywhere, almost every website that i went through for usb audio)

Thank you very much Daniel

Regards

Jul 19, 2013 at 1:14 PM Post #2,651 of 9,526
Quote:
I am wondering why the  FiiO E18 is the world's first portable USB digital to analog converter / headphone amplifier for Android devices.
Is is the first Android Jelly Bean-specific USB DAC?

Jelly Bean-powered Android phone acting as USB peripheral > Android-specific digital USB audio out >> USB cable >> FiiO E18 acting as USB host >> headphones ?

An Android Jelly Bean-powered smartphone/tablet can have:
. an Android-specific USB audio out capability (or USB audio accessory capability), or/and
. a standard USB audio out capability (or USB audio host capability)
http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/135#post_8508754

An Android Jelly Bean-specific USB DAC acts as a USB host, and an Android Jelly Bean smartphone/tablet acts as a USB peripheral.
The Android-specific USB DAC acts as a USB host, and provides power to the Android Jelly Bean smartphone/tablet.
http://developer.android.com/guide/topics/connectivity/usb/accessory.html

A standard USB DAC compatible with PC / Mac acts as a USB peripheral, and a PC / Mac / OTG-capable Android smartphone/tablet acts as a USB host.
The USB host provides power to a bus-powered USB DAC.
The USB host doesn’t provide power to a self-powered USB DAC.
A standard ACA-capable USB DAC or an external power supply can provide power to an ACA-capable Android USB host.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/2580#post_9598490
http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/2625#post_9614979

I'd definitely be the wrong guy to ask but I remember one of the FIIO Reps named James talking about it in another thread around here somewhere. 

Jul 19, 2013 at 3:40 PM Post #2,652 of 9,526
Nothing to be surprise about, that's just things wearing out. Most likely your USB cable pins wearing down after multiple insertions and not making proper contact or misaligned. Try changing cables. Hopefully it's not the phone port that's worn out.

Good suggestion.. I've used three different OTG cables (two of which are practically brand new/never used) and the issue still persists. I'm 99% positive it isn't the pins/contacts degrading since charging the phone with a USB cable works just fine. I've swabbed some deoxit onto the contacts anyways.

Jul 19, 2013 at 6:58 PM Post #2,653 of 9,526
Quote:
anyone tried usb audio through xperia SP??
Also, if anyone knows, does it need micro-A or micro-B otg?

As far as I know, some OTG-capable smartphones, like Xperia Z, have a Micro-AB receptable; and others; like Galaxy S4 have a Micro-B receptacle.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/2190#post_9386676

As Micro B receptacle accepts Micro-B plug and NOT Micro-A plug, and Micro-AB receptacle accepts both Micro-A and Micro-B plugs; a "Micro-B plugged" USB OTG cable is universal.
More precisely, a "Micro-B plug" should be a functional Micro-A plug where the ID pin is grounded.

Jul 19, 2013 at 7:14 PM Post #2,654 of 9,526
Quote:
Good suggestion.. I've used three different OTG cables (two of which are practically brand new/never used) and the issue still persists. I'm 99% positive it isn't the pins/contacts degrading since charging the phone with a USB cable works just fine. I've swabbed some deoxit onto the contacts anyways.

The problem with verifying using a charger and charging is that it does not require all pins to be working for it to charge, while in host mode all 5 pins are needed. Swabbing it with deoxit just doesn't cut it(scrapping is needed) if real oxidation has indeed taken place(which I doubt so but you never know).

Anyway does the connection feel loose? It might also be that some lint or dirt is inside there preventing it from having a good contact.

Anyway try this, use a toothpick, previously buffed with a fine sandpaper like the image below. You can use other objects, but with the toothpick you can do it without turning off the phone because it isn't a electrical conductor and you can also sharpen the tip very easily.

You should clean the area paint in blue below:

After this you should give special attention to areas in microusb port marked in red below(top & bottom part of the connector which is where bolts fits and attach the cable to the port. You should try to clean as much as possible dust that has entrenched there making for a loose fit.

If still persist I think it's time to get it serviced. Good luck!

Jul 19, 2013 at 11:43 PM Post #2,655 of 9,526
Hey DanBa,

just reporting that the CEntrance Hifi-M8 works with my S4 > USB Audio Recorder Pro
size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back