Android: Neutron Music Player
Feb 10, 2024 at 5:49 AM Post #1,321 of 1,374
anyone noticed that neutron music player creates an enormous cache? and the only way to disable it creating such a huge cache is by disabling album art. but UAPP allows showing album art without creating a big cache. when i say enorrmous, it often reaches 18GB, see attached file

Attachments

• 423062662_765091798381244_8093022421754734045_n (1).jpg
    423062662_765091798381244_8093022421754734045_n (1).jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 0
Feb 10, 2024 at 1:46 PM Post #1,322 of 1,374
anyone noticed that neutron music player creates an enormous cache? and the only way to disable it creating such a huge cache is by disabling album art. but UAPP allows showing album art without creating a big cache. when i say enorrmous, it often reaches 18GB, see attached file
I had the opposite experience; UAPP has an option to create an album art cache en masse when first indexing your library. For a 14000+ entry, ~ 750 GB library, with embedded artwork of around 800x800 within each track, UAPP creates a cache ~300-400 MB in size. Neutron, on the other hand, created no such cache. All things being equal (assuming cache of similar items in different apps would be similar in size) you'd need a library size 40 times larger than this one fitting within a terabyte, to get a cache of 14 GB just from album art alone.

Feb 11, 2024 at 11:55 AM Post #1,323 of 1,374
I had the opposite experience; UAPP has an option to create an album art cache en masse when first indexing your library. For a 14000+ entry, ~ 750 GB library, with embedded artwork of around 800x800 within each track, UAPP creates a cache ~300-400 MB in size. Neutron, on the other hand, created no such cache. All things being equal (assuming cache of similar items in different apps would be similar in size) you'd need a library size 40 times larger than this one fitting within a terabyte, to get a cache of 14 GB just from album art alone.
i just hope they fix that, put an option to not cache album art but will still be available to show on current playing tracks like UAPP does. for now i have switched to UAPP which i am beginning to like actually as it also plays wavpack

Feb 11, 2024 at 12:16 PM Post #1,324 of 1,374
On mine the cache size is zero.

Feb 11, 2024 at 12:50 PM Post #1,326 of 1,374
I did not realize that we had this topic for the Android version of Neutron. In my Android days (usually involving some kind of a DAP) I had used UAPP but not Neutron. I am primarily an IOS user, but most of the comments about the user interface apply to the IOS version also.

I am not using any of the amazing features like the various kind of EQ, but the strong technicals underlying the software allows me to send DSD signals natively to my two dongles (Cayin RU7 and FIIO Q3-MQA). Dmitri (who I am glad to see is active here) was instrumental in pointing out that IOS 17.4 in beta form fixes the issues related to bitstreaming DSD. I will do my best to limit any questions I have in this forum to things that are common to both platforms, as I do not think there is an equivalent forum for IOS (please correct me if this is wrong).

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2024 at 2:52 PM Post #1,327 of 1,374
can you share settings you changed? I have reinstalled it already and immediately when necessary permissions have been given, the cache is created. so it can never be zero even if you disable album art
Not sure, perhaps:

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240211_195114_com.neutroncode.mp.jpg
    Screenshot_20240211_195114_com.neutroncode.mp.jpg
    523.7 KB · Views: 0
Feb 11, 2024 at 2:56 PM Post #1,329 of 1,374
i just hope they fix that, put an option to not cache album art but will still be available to show on current playing tracks like UAPP does. for now i have switched to UAPP which i am beginning to like actually as it also plays wavpack
Neutron plays wavpack just fine *shrug*. And my cache for neutron is like... 14 megabytes. How yours is gigabytes is not a commonplace issue, especially for Neutron.

Feb 11, 2024 at 2:57 PM Post #1,330 of 1,374
i just hope they fix that, put an option to not cache album art but will still be available to show on current playing tracks

Option to avoid caching can be added (but excessive options make app more and more difficult to configure for the user) but then, if you are using network sources, or album art images are very large or small and need rescaling it all will consume CPU when you scroll the library because Neutron will have to re-scale images constantly (that's the reason of the cache).

Normally cache is a folder /cache inside the app storage space and it is deleted on Neutron's either start or exit (when you close it with X in Neutron's notification from the notifications panel).

18 Gb is too large cache anyway. Maybe OS settings misread something? If you uninstall Neutron and install it again, will cache start growing again to a such big size?

Feb 11, 2024 at 3:48 PM Post #1,332 of 1,374
Just wondering, are there any guides out there for optimising Neutron's settings on Android DAPs to maximise sound quality?

Feb 12, 2024 at 11:25 AM Post #1,334 of 1,374
Just wondering, are there any guides out there for optimising Neutron's settings on Android DAPs to maximise sound quality?
I use these settings from the below webpage that a head-fi user "Whitigir" used for his IBasso DAPs. The info is a few years old but basically applies to any DAP with Android. Every time I do a install/reinstall of Neutron on my DAPs or smartphones I use these settings.

Some of the settings are for IBasso DAPs specifically, but most apply to any Android DAP and it's easy to figure out. I haven't really A/B'd the difference in sound from stock settings to these but I am always, every time, impressed with the sound of local files out of Neutron with the Whitigir settings and it feels endgame vs. any other software player app, many of which are also very good sounding.

https://www.headpie.net/2021/09/neutron-music-player-recommended-app.html

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2024 at 8:54 AM Post #1,335 of 1,374
Is there now a way, to prevent Neutron from starting, as soon as you activate Bluetooth?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back