Android: Neutron Music Player
Apr 20, 2014 at 11:24 AM Post #271 of 1,374
Dull and lifeless aren't necessarily the opposites of bright and forward. I think he just likes the more forward sound of other players as opposed to the flatter sound of Neutron.

It's also possible that Ambiophonic processing is on; if it is, switch that off and enable Crossfeed instead.

It's the other way around to my ears. Of all the players I've tried, with flat EQ, Android is technically the brightest. However I think Neutron is neutral so I can only conclude that every other player is inaccurate or otherwise handicapped.

Apr 20, 2014 at 11:55 AM Post #272 of 1,374
  How does the crossfeed increase the sonic quality for you?  How should I set the crossfeed?

It only really works if you have a headphone that has a too strong L-C-R image but the spaces between L-C and C-R are off to the back, which doesn't translate to believable vocals and guitars in front because even the drum hits can get pushed forward while other hits stay in the back. The end result will compress the instruments towards the center, although depth will improve the vocals might move forward even more. The stock Crossfeed on my Cantate.2 amp actually works well enough to tame the L and R image on the SR80 and SR225. On the HD600, where the L and R if you push the headphone forward a bit don't have this problem to begin with, so even teh Cantate's can  be too much for it. Using it as a baseline I tweaked Neutron's to see if a more aggressive or less aggressive setting will improve it, but the first only made it worse and going the other way still compressed the audio in the center but not enough depth was added.

So basically, I leave the Crossfeed disabled. What I use Neutron for really is the EQ. It has all parameters imaginable that even a competition-ready car audio digital processor will not have all these tweaks. I can neutralize the excess bass (that I can still live with otherwise, but I would make it flatter when I could) on my ASG-1 with these, particularly if I use it with an Ibasso D-Zero. It's a little better than the S3's DAC in terms of overall tonality, but while its amp tightens up the bass, taming it a bit more just makes the ASG-1 better. On th HD600 I just cut a bit off the treble spike that shows up in graphs, and the treble gets a bit smoother.

Apr 20, 2014 at 1:57 PM Post #273 of 1,374
I can live with Neutron's EQ being flat for my HD650's and with my Q701's I ameliorate the 2k spike. On my V-Moda's I drop the upper bass a tad, works wonders. The EQ in Neutron is second to none on Android.

Aug 31, 2014 at 12:27 PM Post #276 of 1,374
  Not really fair to compare. One is on Android, the other iOS.

I haven't A/B's them but I find that Neutron works great on both platforms. I'd venture to say that it sounds better than a number of other players that I've used on ios using an iPod Touch 5G. Got to love that parametric EQ, even though the UI sucks.

Aug 31, 2014 at 12:41 PM Post #277 of 1,374
  I haven't A/B's them but I find that Neutron works great on both platforms. I'd venture to say that it sounds better than a number of other players that I've used on ios using an iPod Touch 5G. Got to love that parametric EQ, even though the UI sucks.

Agreed on the UI. It's not very.. pretty. I had no idea it was available on iOS also.. 

Aug 31, 2014 at 12:45 PM Post #278 of 1,374
  Agreed on the UI. It's not very.. pretty. I had no idea it was available on iOS also.. 

It's availability on ios is recent, so it's easy to understand why many are not aware of this. IMO ios was in need of a great sounding player app. The Touch 5G hardware is rather good,

Sep 8, 2014 at 1:48 AM Post #279 of 1,374
Is this still the only music app that supports smb shares?  I know es file explorer also supports them but it's not really music focused..

Sep 8, 2014 at 2:27 AM Post #280 of 1,374
Nevermind, I caved and actually purchased neutron.  haha the things I do for love.. of music

Oct 4, 2014 at 3:16 PM Post #281 of 1,374
  Is this still the only music app that supports smb shares?  I know es file explorer also supports them but it's not really music focused..

I've been searching far and wide for an Android music player that can player with the following functionality:
 * Play SMB shares
 * Equalizer
 * Great sound quality of course!
 * Folder player

ES File Exporer comes closest but no equalizer. When using the ES music player, the Android eqaulaizers that I've tried aren't compatible with my devices - LG G3 and Samsung Nexus 10. I tried Neutron but don't want to have it scan my folders. I have my music well organized and don't need or want an app to scan it all and lump it into one view.

Is there a way to use Neutron as a folder player?

Any other Android music players that have the above functionality?

Thanks!

Oct 4, 2014 at 5:17 PM Post #282 of 1,374
It doesn't lump it all into one view. It allows navigation throughout multiple folders within one root folder.

Oct 5, 2014 at 10:42 AM Post #283 of 1,374

I've been searching far and wide for an Android music player that can player with the following functionality:
 * Play SMB shares
 * Equalizer
 * Great sound quality of course!
 * Folder player

ES File Exporer comes closest but no equalizer. When using the ES music player, the Android eqaulaizers that I've tried aren't compatible with my devices - LG G3 and Samsung Nexus 10. I tried Neutron but don't want to have it scan my folders. I have my music well organized and don't need or want an app to scan it all and lump it into one view.

Is there a way to use Neutron as a folder player?

Any other Android music players that have the above functionality?

Thanks!

Can Neutron be used as a folder player? I have a large music collection on SMB share and don't want/need it to scan. I tried ES File Explorer - but can't get it to open Neutron as the music player.
Neutron *almost* does what I need - but the scanning/indexing (which most people need I assume) is unsatisfactory for my needs.

Perhaps a different file manager that can associate a music app?

Oct 5, 2014 at 10:44 PM Post #284 of 1,374

Can Neutron be used as a folder player? I have a large music collection on SMB share and don't want/need it to scan. I tried ES File Explorer - but can't get it to open Neutron as the music player.
Neutron *almost* does what I need - but the scanning/indexing (which most people need I assume) is unsatisfactory for my needs.

Perhaps a different file manager that can associate a music app?

The scanning of SMB share occurs one time only.

My ES Explorer can open Neutron.

Oct 5, 2014 at 10:58 PM Post #285 of 1,374

The scanning of SMB share occurs one time only.

My ES Explorer can open Neutron.

I just checked my tablet and after scanning for hours it froze so will have to start again. Frustrating because I know where my music is - it's in proper order and I don't need or want my SMB drive indexed/scanned. 

I can get ES File explorer to open a single sound file with Neutron but can't get it to play more than one or a folder (album). Can you play more than one song with ES? If so, how?  Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back