Android: Neutron Music Player
Feb 17, 2014 at 12:06 PM Post #136 of 1,374
I've been trying Neutron and it sounds great but I don't see a way to navigate using actual folders, without tags, even where it says "Folders". This feature is important for me and will make me try something else unless I am missing something. I have a lot of homemade compilations and I can't get them to show up correctly (songs not in the correct order, sometimes it breaks them into multiple compilations, etc.). I've looked through all the settings. There are a bunch of different folders that show up in "Folders" with some repeated, one labeled "sd" when my phone doesn't support external cards, etc., and it doesn't seem to make any sense. In one of them all of my albums show up three times each. I checked my phone with the laptop and it looks normal there (all of my music folders appearing under "Music" in my phone (new Moto X)).

Does Neutron support folder view correctly somewhere and I am just missing it???  Seems odd that a program that is this thought-out and user-adjustable would not support folder view correctly.

Feb 17, 2014 at 12:13 PM Post #137 of 1,374
You're correct unfortunately. Without a doubt the most annoying aspect of Neutron. Actually, does Poweramp allow this? I'm not sure it does. This may be an Android fault.

Feb 17, 2014 at 12:53 PM Post #138 of 1,374
You're correct unfortunately. Without a doubt the most annoying aspect of Neutron. Actually, does Poweramp allow this? I'm not sure it does. This may be an Android fault.

Thanks for the confirmation, but man that stinks. I was hoping it was me. Hard to believe that it can't do this. Oh well, it was nice while it lasted but I can't pay for a player that can't navigate using folders.

So what is the best-sounding player that supports folder navigation? PlayerPro?  (Pretty sure it's not an Android issue.)

Feb 17, 2014 at 1:12 PM Post #139 of 1,374
  I've been trying Neutron and it sounds great but I don't see a way to navigate using actual folders, without tags, even where it says "Folders". This feature is important for me and will make me try something else unless I am missing something. I have a lot of homemade compilations and I can't get them to show up correctly (songs not in the correct order, sometimes it breaks them into multiple compilations, etc.). I've looked through all the settings. There are a bunch of different folders that show up in "Folders" with some repeated, one labeled "sd" when my phone doesn't support external cards, etc., and it doesn't seem to make any sense. In one of them all of my albums show up three times each. I checked my phone with the laptop and it looks normal there (all of my music folders appearing under "Music" in my phone (new Moto X)).

Does Neutron support folder view correctly somewhere and I am just missing it???  Seems odd that a program that is this thought-out and user-adjustable would not support folder view correctly.

It sure does allow navigation by folders. In addition to the below, in the "Now Playing" screen if you touch the icon of a CD in the lower left corner of the screen a popup icon bar shows up whith a selection of navigation icons, one is of a folder. If you've set things up properly you will see a poor attempt of showing the folder path when navigating, nonetheless you will be navigating by folder. Yes, their User Interface sucks.

Feb 17, 2014 at 1:45 PM Post #140 of 1,374
Stan, you are indeed The Man!

I didn't know that. To be fair, it's not exactly obvious.

Feb 17, 2014 at 1:57 PM Post #141 of 1,374
Stan, you are indeed The Man!

I didn't know that. To be fair, it's not exactly obvious.

Nothing in the Neutron UI is all that obvious. If it didn't sound so good and have a parametric EQ I'd have uninstalled it and kicked it to the curb. The parametric EQ is a PITA to use, but very effective.

Feb 17, 2014 at 2:26 PM Post #143 of 1,374
Its not beginner friend. But if you get used to it its pretty good.

I've become quiet used to it. The parametric EQ UI is still awful and even if you're used to it, the UI sucks. Entering in numbers in the parametric EQ UI is really a bad experience, it's like working an old teletype.

Feb 17, 2014 at 4:30 PM Post #144 of 1,374
  It sure does allow navigation by folders. In addition to the below, in the "Now Playing" screen if you touch the icon of a CD in the lower left corner of the screen a popup icon bar shows up whith a selection of navigation icons, one is of a folder. If you've set things up properly you will see a poor attempt of showing the folder path when navigating, nonetheless you will be navigating by folder. Yes, their User Interface sucks.

Thanks for the help but it's not working for me. When I press the folder icon that comes up after pressing the lower left icon on the home screen while playing a song from a compilation, it takes me to one of the same messed up "folders" I get when going through the Folders icon (the one in your screenshot). And on the now playing screen, when the folder icon is chosen it is not showing the folder path - it shows the original album name the song is from (not my compilation folder name), so it is obviously still using tags.

That "Folders" link is a complete mess*, with many folders and subfolders that make no sense at all. Is it my setup?? When I first downloaded the player I clicked "automatic" setup. Is that not recommended? I downloaded the free "Eval" edition. Is it possible this is different from the paid version? Wouldn't make sense but you never know.

Here's another strange thing. After clicking the lower-left icon, I tried the other options for the hell of it and the one on the right (I think it's supposed to be Year), brought up the CORRECT compilation song list! But after changing songs I can't get that to happen again, and anyway there is no way I can find to navigate to that correct list, whatever closet in Neutron it is hiding in.

This is very frustrating. Folders was working great on my Rockboxed clip zip. Does that folders navigation option link work well for anyone else? Do your folders (esp compilations) contain the correct folder titles and song lists WITHOUT USING TAGS??

*For example:

When I click that icon, I get two "folders", named "All Folders" and "storage". When I click on "All Folders", I get a list of all the albums with each one being listed THREE TIMES for some reason. When I click on "storage", I get "emulated" and "sdcard0". When I click "emulated, I get "0" and "legacy". When I click "legacy", I get "All Songs", "DCIM", "Download", "Music", and "Ringtones". Clicking on "Music" gets a list of each album once, but the songs in the compilation are in the wrong order and without all the songs. In some other folder the comp is listed more than once with different sets of songs in each one.

Feb 17, 2014 at 8:09 PM Post #145 of 1,374
It works fine for me but then I have a very disciplined folder structure in the first place. When I click the *folders* Clutton as directed I see a list of the folders on my memory card because that's where I initially set it up to look for my music. Perhaps yours is automatically searching the whole phone for audio files. That can be changed.

Feb 17, 2014 at 8:42 PM Post #146 of 1,374
It works fine for me but then I have a very disciplined folder structure in the first place. When I click the *folders* Clutton as directed I see a list of the folders on my memory card because that's where I initially set it up to look for my music. Perhaps yours is automatically searching the whole phone for audio files. That can be changed.

How can it be changed? Can't find it.

Also I tried player pro and the compilation is not configured correctly in the Folders section on there either. That one also appears to be using tags on the songs. They worked fine on the clip zip.

Feb 18, 2014 at 12:50 AM Post #147 of 1,374
How can it be changed? Can't find it.

Also I tried player pro and the compilation is not configured correctly in the Folders section on there either. That one also appears to be using tags on the songs. They worked fine on the clip zip.

I can't look right now because my Galaxy S3 dropped dead today and Verizon will have another one to me tomorrow. I remember going somewhere in settings and selected the actual base folder that I have all of my music folders hanging off of so that it only scans from that one place. I have a folder hierarchy from the base to folders for each artist/groups and the albums are below each of these folders.

Feb 18, 2014 at 2:25 PM Post #148 of 1,374
  I can't look right now because my Galaxy S3 dropped dead today and Verizon will have another one to me tomorrow. I remember going somewhere in settings and selected the actual base folder that I have all of my music folders hanging off of so that it only scans from that one place. I have a folder hierarchy from the base to folders for each artist/groups and the albums are below each of these folders.

OK thanks. It would be great to know if anyone has a home-made compilation that shows up correctly. I assume I can get it to point to the Music folder directly, but the main, large, problem for me is that it is NOT a true folder view, where the tags are ignored and it shows the folder name and song titles as they appear on the computer, and thus contains all the songs and in the order they are named in the folder regardless of tags, etc.

You would only see this issue with home-made compilations since regular albums show up correctly. Not even sure why one would use folder view if they were just listening to albums. (Guess I'm old school in that I listen to whole albums or home-made comps of one band almost exclusively.)

(Also I take back what I said earlier about seeing the correct song list when clicking the Year option from the now playing screen. I am pretty sure now that it was just the songs from the earliest album, which start the compilation, since going though the Year section in the list has the songs in the comp in separate folders by year, obviously.)

ARE THERE ANY PLAYERS OTHER THAN ROCKBOX (WHICH I WILL TRY NEXT) THAT SUPPORT TRUE FOLDER VIEW?

Feb 18, 2014 at 3:55 PM Post #149 of 1,374

OK thanks. It would be great to know if anyone has a home-made compilation that shows up correctly. I assume I can get it to point to the Music folder directly, but the main, large, problem for me is that it is NOT a true folder view, where the tags are ignored and it shows the folder name and song titles as they appear on the computer, and thus contains all the songs and in the order they are named in the folder regardless of tags, etc.

You would only see this issue with home-made compilations since regular albums show up correctly. Not even sure why one would use folder view if they were just listening to albums. (Guess I'm old school in that I listen to whole albums or home-made comps of one band almost exclusively.)

(Also I take back what I said earlier about seeing the correct song list when clicking the Year option from the now playing screen. I am pretty sure now that it was just the songs from the earliest album, which start the compilation, since going though the Year section in the list has the songs in the comp in separate folders by year, obviously.)

ARE THERE ANY PLAYERS OTHER THAN ROCKBOX (WHICH I WILL TRY NEXT) THAT SUPPORT TRUE FOLDER VIEW?

Look at PowerAmp, link to features below. There's a section on folders and a screenshot. See if this is ok for you.
http://powerampapp.com/features/

Feb 18, 2014 at 4:05 PM Post #150 of 1,374
Or better still, download them all until you find one that does what you're looking for. Most players are free or have free trial versions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back