Android: Neutron Music Player
Feb 19, 2014 at 8:02 PM Post #166 of 1,374
  Not entirely.  From the Neutron site:

Q: What does Crossfeeding feature do?

A: Crossfeeding is the special technique which mixes some frequencies of Left and Right channels of stereo music together. Crossfeeding must be used with headphones only and its goal is to simulate stereo perception of external speakers. Explanation: All music is composed with condition that it will be listened through external speakers thus composer takes into account that some frequencies of Left and Right channels will be mixed in the air before arriving to the listener. If listener is using headphones then no such mixing in the air happens and thus desired perception of the music composition is not achieved. Crossfeeding technique simulates such mixing and thus listener is able to feel music as if it is heard from the external speakers, e.g. in the same way as music composer planned it to be heard. Neutron provides several presets with different degree of mixing. Choose whatever preset you like or adjust to your own taste.

But yes the soundstage issue is why I am not sure I like it. I think a lot of people like the wide soundstage headphones give, even if the separation between channels is more than intended/when listening to external speakers.

That's not what most people think, read this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crossfeed

Feb 19, 2014 at 8:25 PM Post #167 of 1,374
  That's not what most people think, read this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crossfeed

??

"Crossfeed is the process of blending the left and right channels of a stereo audio recording. It is generally used to reduce the extreme channel separation often featured in early stereo recordings (e.g., where instruments are panned entirely on one side or the other), or to make audio played through headphones sound more natural, as when listening to a pair of external speakers."

Feb 19, 2014 at 8:36 PM Post #169 of 1,374
  ??

"Crossfeed is the process of blending the left and right channels of a stereo audio recording. It is generally used to reduce the extreme channel separation often featured in early stereo recordings (e.g., where instruments are panned entirely on one side or the other), or to make audio played through headphones sound more natural, as when listening to a pair of external speakers."

Confusing ain't it. Most people switch it off. You'll notice that few amps have a crossfeed switch, because it is not a popular feature.

Feb 20, 2014 at 3:23 AM Post #170 of 1,374
Well I like crossfeed, so there :grinning: nah, it depends on the music really. I think jazz for instance sounds daft without it. The intimacy is lost to a degree IMO.

As far as Replaygain is concerned, when I first started using it it had the annoying habit of dropping or raising levels a few seconds into any given track. This only tends to happen on compilations or "mix tapes" (remember them?). I don't use it at all these days..

Feb 20, 2014 at 4:50 AM Post #171 of 1,374
Well I like crossfeed, so there :grinning: nah, it depends on the music really. I think jazz for instance sounds daft without it. The intimacy is lost to a degree IMO.

As far as Replaygain is concerned, when I first started using it it had the annoying habit of dropping or raising levels a few seconds into any given track. This only tends to happen on compilations or "mix tapes" (remember them?). I don't use it at all these days..

I do. As noted above, my issues were trying to get the player to play nice with my comps. The Sort By Filename option in the long-press on a folder will ensure that I pay for the app when my trial is up.

For Replay Gain did you have to normalize, or some other way encode the Replay values in the files, first?

Tonight I spent too much time trying to get correct album art to appear on my comps, which I finally did it for a whopping $1.99. (Cover Art Downloader, "Embed Cover Art" into id3 tag option checked. I am assuming that this means I can copy the files back to the computer to store with correct cover art for wherever I use them.)

Feb 20, 2014 at 5:00 AM Post #172 of 1,374
How do you figure out which Q, Width, Cutoff, etc. values to use on the equalizer? I messed with the frequency sliders (not easy on the phone screen BTW) and am pretty happy with the sound but am always willing to learn better ways to tweak sound options

Feb 20, 2014 at 9:26 AM Post #173 of 1,374
I'm all ears too. I find it terribly confusing.

Feb 20, 2014 at 10:27 AM Post #174 of 1,374
  How do you figure out which Q, Width, Cutoff, etc. values to use on the equalizer? I messed with the frequency sliders (not easy on the phone screen BTW) and am pretty happy with the sound but am always willing to learn better ways to tweak sound options

For the high and low band shelves you might want to keep the low Q at 0.7 and set the Low cutoff to 100 hZ and increase the Low gain to 8.
To create a hump in the bass you can set the low cutoff to 60 hZ and the low Q at 3 and Low gain to 8.
This to start learning. You can tweak the low gain to tast, start at 8 so the changes are apparent.
Create two presets.
To compare presets goto Settings->Equalizer preset and switch back and forth on that screen, no need leave that screen to compare, the change is immediate.
You'll notice that the hump preset reaches lower down.
Let us know how that works for you.

Feb 20, 2014 at 10:37 AM Post #175 of 1,374
I'm all ears too. I find it terribly confusing.

Not only are parametric EQs more difficult to understand, the lousy user interface in Neutron makes it more difficult. But it does amazing things. If you have a cheap pair of ear buds or cans that have a resonant peak at lets say 6 kHz that is making silabance irritating, you can create a notch and lower that peak. Since the UI sucks, it takes effort to get right.

Feb 20, 2014 at 11:47 AM Post #176 of 1,374
  Not only are parametric EQs more difficult to understand, the lousy user interface in Neutron makes it more difficult. But it does amazing things. If you have a cheap pair of ear buds or cans that have a resonant peak at lets say 6 kHz that is making silabance irritating, you can create a notch and lower that peak. Since the UI sucks, it takes effort to get right.

At some point I'm going to find time to do this:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/413900/how-to-equalize-your-headphones-a-tutorial

Feb 23, 2014 at 6:18 PM Post #178 of 1,374
Stan! What're you doin' to me man? Jeez, was perfectly happy wth everything flat and only using crossfeed (actually, using crossfeed made me feel like a bit of a rebel :smiley:).

But now? Now I'm tossing and turning, worrying if maybe the Q slope could've been a bit higher on that last track. What about bringing out those mids just a tad, the merest smidgen of a tweak. And what music do you learn this stuff with? I thought a couple of days ago I've got a cool sounding Moloko album in FLAC. I'll dig that out and muck around a bit. I'm running out of bloody presets! Now I know why those mixing desks are so big though. It's not so much how much you can change the sound but how little you can change it and yet create an overall effect that's massive.

Stan? Thank you.

Feb 23, 2014 at 7:12 PM Post #179 of 1,374
Its like john candy in Planes Trains and Autos with the electric seat adjustments.

Is there a simple way to play all tracks on random? You can put the Music folder in its own playlist but then you have to redo it each time you add music, which I do frequently.

Feb 24, 2014 at 4:18 PM Post #180 of 1,374
Stan! What're you doin' to me man? Jeez, was perfectly happy wth everything flat and only using crossfeed (actually, using crossfeed made me feel like a bit of a rebel :smiley:).

But now? Now I'm tossing and turning, worrying if maybe the Q slope could've been a bit higher on that last track. What about bringing out those mids just a tad, the merest smidgen of a tweak. And what music do you learn this stuff with? I thought a couple of days ago I've got a cool sounding Moloko album in FLAC. I'll dig that out and muck around a bit. I'm running out of bloody presets! Now I know why those mixing desks are so big though. It's not so much how much you can change the sound but how little you can change it and yet create an overall effect that's massive.

Stan? Thank you.

Your welcome. Have I created a monster?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back