Android: Neutron Music Player
Sep 1, 2019 at 5:29 AM Post #631 of 1,374
Not sure if it's from recent software updates or what, but I haven't been able to raise my volume past half way for some time now

It is OS-side restriction. Neutron replaces OS volume UI with own and therefore you do not get the pop-up message with high volume warning. All you need is to start playback and exit from Neutron's UI, then try adjusting volume with hw buttons, OS will pop-up warning and request approval to increase volume further.

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2019 at 5:31 AM Post #632 of 1,374
I purchased the Neutron player a while back, but don't like the sound out of it. It sounds like their's some software processing going on with the sound. Usb audio player pro on the other hand with bit-perfect sounds clean to me.

If you switched off all DSP effects (settings -> DSP Effects) and do not use Dithering then output is guaranteed bit-perfect if output frequency matches music file's frequency (confirmed by analysis and also DSD would not pass via Neutron's audio engine transparently). There is no any additional processing happening, everything is controlled by the user! You can do transparency tests yourself to re-confirm it.

Sep 1, 2019 at 5:29 PM Post #633 of 1,374
It is OS-side restriction. Neutron replaces OS volume UI with own and therefore you do not get the pop-up message with high volume warning. All you need is to start playback and exit from Neutron's UI, then try adjusting volume with hw buttons, OS will pop-up warning and request approval to increase volume further.
I've tried that more times than I can count. Won't work. It use to, but not anymore. From about the last time I had a software update on my V40.

Sep 1, 2019 at 5:31 PM Post #634 of 1,374
If you switched off all DSP effects (settings -> DSP Effects) and do not use Dithering then output is guaranteed bit-perfect if output frequency matches music file's frequency (confirmed by analysis and also DSD would not pass via Neutron's audio engine transparently). There is no any additional processing happening, everything is controlled by the user! You can do transparency tests yourself to re-confirm it.
You are correct. I don't want to shut off all DSP effects. I really like how it sounds. That's why I'm a little bummed switching to UAPP.

Sep 1, 2019 at 7:54 PM Post #635 of 1,374
So far the Neutron's been performing quite well. I don't think dx229 could have survived without it.
Question if I may ask...if anyone has done it or know. Is there a way to create or modify the playlist file (*.m3u8)
on the PC and move it to the DAP?

@Neutron
Pls confirm if you have a playlist mod feature just mentioned or not.

Sep 2, 2019 at 8:07 AM Post #636 of 1,374
Pls confirm if you have a playlist mod feature just mentioned or not.

If you mean the ability to modify existing playlist via Neutron's UI then yes, you can modify playlists inside the Playlists category. You can create new and populate them with Neutron too. You can also create your own manually with text editor on PC (for example with Notepad++) and copy-paste to the DAP, refresh sources to give Neutron possibility to detect it and place into the Playlists category. You could try installing Neutron (Eval) version from Google Play which is fully-working Neutron limited by 5 days of usage and test playlists related functionality.

Sep 2, 2019 at 9:42 AM Post #637 of 1,374
If you mean the ability to modify existing playlist via Neutron's UI then yes, you can modify playlists inside the Playlists category. You can create new and populate them with Neutron too. You can also create your own manually with text editor on PC (for example with Notepad++) and copy-paste to the DAP, refresh sources to give Neutron possibility to detect it and place into the Playlists category. You could try installing Neutron (Eval) version from Google Play which is fully-working Neutron limited by 5 days of usage and test playlists related functionality.

I copied one of playlist from PC\DX220\Internal shared storage\NeutronMP\playlists and copied into a new file and added the following lines.
After refreshing the playlist under the device, the file's not being detected. Any idea?

#EXTM3U
Music/Hip-Hop/Psycho Realm - Pow Wow.flac
Music/Hip-Hop/Red Room.flac

Sep 2, 2019 at 1:19 PM Post #638 of 1,374
I copied one of playlist from PC\DX220\Internal shared storage\NeutronMP\playlists and copied into a new file and added the following lines.
After refreshing the playlist under the device, the file's not being detected. Any idea?

#EXTM3U
Music/Hip-Hop/Psycho Realm - Pow Wow.flac
Music/Hip-Hop/Red Room.flac

Is "Music" in the folder that contains the Playlist?
Or does Neutron interpret the playlist path, with the folder "Music" being in the root of the file system?

Sep 2, 2019 at 2:26 PM Post #639 of 1,374

You need to copy that new playlist file to the folder which is bound to Neutron's source entry (media library -> Sources -> source entry). If you did that then you need to press Refresh on Sources, so that Neutron could refresh source entries in attempt to find added/deleted files. If playlist appears inside Playlists and you modify playlist file's contents you need to press Refresh on Playlists to update playlist's files (because Neutron is caching contents of the playlist files in its database for a faster access to the music files, Refresh on Playlists effectively resets that cache).

Sep 2, 2019 at 4:05 PM Post #640 of 1,374
You need to copy that new playlist file to the folder which is bound to Neutron's source entry (media library -> Sources -> source entry). If you did that then you need to press Refresh on Sources, so that Neutron could refresh source entries in attempt to find added/deleted files. If playlist appears inside Playlists and you modify playlist file's contents you need to press Refresh on Playlists to update playlist's files (because Neutron is caching contents of the playlist files in its database for a faster access to the music files, Refresh on Playlists effectively resets that cache).

Ok tks..I got it working. Didn't realize I had to refresh the 'source' under media library.

Sep 2, 2019 at 8:40 PM Post #642 of 1,374
Sep 3, 2019 at 1:36 PM Post #644 of 1,374
Apart from the fact that you exaggerate a bit @rjoudrey , in Europe its 7.49 EUR which is currently ~8.22 US$.
And since when is it forbidden to ask a question? Anybody could answer this, not just someone from the Neutron team.

Is @artpiggo the developer of the Neutron music player who has answered my question or was this just an assumption?

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2019 at 1:41 PM Post #645 of 1,374
Apart from the fact that you exaggerate a bit @rjoudrey , in Europe its 7.49 EUR which is currently ~8.22 US$.
And since when is it forbidden to ask a question? Anybody could answer this, not just someone from the Neutron team.

Is @artpiggo the developer of the Neutron music player who has answered my question or was this just an assumption?
Still a great deal IMHO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back