And The Winner: Grado 325is Review (and Compared w/60i, 225i, RS-1)
Jan 10, 2010 at 12:14 AM Post #31 of 61
I think you may agree with me here AnalogJ, in that I personally exercise caution in recommending the 325is as a dedicated can. It's an excellent choice for being part of a small or large inventory. But as a dedicated can? In my opinion, it would be rather unusual for one to be happy with it alone.

My HeadRoom amps do tame the highs and forwardness but it doesn't castrate what's the specialty of these cans which is good. As to excellence for rock, it depends on how you listen to your rock music. Though rhythm guitaring is a fundamental aspect, I'm not one of those who likes it in his face. I can deal with the detail and very good mids, also present in the Ed8's, but the forwardness of it with the 325is is a tad too much, especially when paired with the frequencies represented by typical rhythm guitaring in rock music. This creates a synergy that is very fatiguing and I find myself reaching for the volume knob. When the volume is down enough, I'm only hearing the rhythm guitars.
wink.gif

However, Fleetwood Mac's 'Mirage', Michael Jackson's 'Thriller', some Andrea Bocelli, Black Sabbath (the rhythm guitaring is much lower pitched than typical), Billy Joel, Mike Oldfield. Some of that material will have the 325is making me tearful with happiness in my heart. I really haven't heard better.

Jan 10, 2010 at 1:25 AM Post #32 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by aimlink /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think you may agree with me here AnalogJ, in that I personally exercise caution in recommending the 325is as a dedicated can. It's an excellent choice for being part of a small or large inventory. But as a dedicated can? In my opinion, it would be rather unusual for one to be happy with it alone.

My HeadRoom amps do tame the highs and forwardness but it doesn't castrate what's the specialty of these cans which is good. As to excellence for rock, it depends on how you listen to your rock music. Though rhythm guitaring is a fundamental aspect, I'm not one of those who likes it in his face. I can deal with the detail and very good mids, also present in the Ed8's, but the forwardness of it with the 325is is a tad too much, especially when paired with the frequencies represented by typical rhythm guitaring in rock music. This creates a synergy that is very fatiguing and I find myself reaching for the volume knob. When the volume is down enough, I'm only hearing the rhythm guitars.
wink.gif

However, Fleetwood Mac's 'Mirage', Michael Jackson's 'Thriller', some Andrea Bocelli, Black Sabbath (the rhythm guitaring is much lower pitched than typical), Billy Joel, Mike Oldfield. Some of that material will have the 325is making me tearful with happiness in my heart. I really haven't heard better.

But the ED-8 is $1500, is it not? I have not heard it (I'd love to, by the way, but I'm not aware of a dealer in the Boston area.), but what makes the Grado such a great value is its overall musicality and musical impact for $300. That there is a pair of headphones that can make you "tearful with happiness" in your heart is a great compliment, for sure. I'm trying to think of another headphone under $300 that has that ability.

I feel the same way about Grado's phono cartridges. Particularly in the lower end of the wood body Grado line, you could point to one or more sonic drawbacks, but there is NO cartridge under $1000 I know of that has a midrange that can melt your heart the way one of those Grados can. I consider the Master to be the lowest priced complete cartridge, but that is up around $900. Still, the Platinum is akin to the SR60. The Sonata is akin to the SR125 and the SR325is is akin to the Master. I suppose the Reference is akin to the RS1. Harry Weisfeld of VPI once said to me that, though the bass on it is not the ultimate, the Grado Reference is about his favorite cartridge. There IS something magical about the way Grado voices the midrange. The SR325is has that magic midrange.

I KNOW one can spend more to get a better set of headphones. Not everyone can afford to do so. Myself, I'm dealing with a relatively tight budget. My tastes are much higher than what my bank account can afford. Everything in my system is high value and musical. Not the ultimate, but well-balanced and does many things right. There are certainly sonic areas which could be improved. I can't afford $1500 headphones -- not for $1500, anyway.

What would YOU recommend to someone whose budget for a pair of headphones is <$300?

Jan 10, 2010 at 6:35 AM Post #33 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by AnalogJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But the ED-8 is $1500, is it not? I have not heard it (I'd love to, by the way, but I'm not aware of a dealer in the Boston area.), but what makes the Grado such a great value is its overall musicality and musical impact for $300. That there is a pair of headphones that can make you "tearful with happiness" in your heart is a great compliment, for sure. I'm trying to think of another headphone under $300 that has that ability.

I feel the same way about Grado's phono cartridges. Particularly in the lower end of the wood body Grado line, you could point to one or more sonic drawbacks, but there is NO cartridge under $1000 I know of that has a midrange that can melt your heart the way one of those Grados can. I consider the Master to be the lowest priced complete cartridge, but that is up around $900. Still, the Platinum is akin to the SR60. The Sonata is akin to the SR125 and the SR325is is akin to the Master. I suppose the Reference is akin to the RS1. Harry Weisfeld of VPI once said to me that, though the bass on it is not the ultimate, the Grado Reference is about his favorite cartridge. There IS something magical about the way Grado voices the midrange. The SR325is has that magic midrange.

I KNOW one can spend more to get a better set of headphones. Not everyone can afford to do so. Myself, I'm dealing with a relatively tight budget. My tastes are much higher than what my bank account can afford. Everything in my system is high value and musical. Not the ultimate, but well-balanced and does many things right. There are certainly sonic areas which could be improved. I can't afford $1500 headphones -- not for $1500, anyway.

What would YOU recommend to someone whose budget for a pair of headphones is <$300?

It sounds like you have used every single cartridge in the entire Grado line.
wink.gif
Maybe that's why you can only afford to spend $300 on your headphones.
biggrin.gif

Jan 10, 2010 at 6:46 AM Post #34 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by aimlink /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd be careful with testimony that's the exception rather than the rule. Unless your equipment and choice of music being matched with the 325is is similar, then you're likely to have a different experience. I find my 325is to be spectacular with some of my music and quite strident with others with very early fatigue setting in. There are many here whose major listening genre happens to be the music that I don't like listening to with the 325is, i.e., rock and metal. For my ears, the Ed8's are much better suited for that.

I have experience with the SR-325is's across myriad genres of music. It's clear that it shines better with some, and lacks more with others, but in general it is a well-rounded performer. Of course my "testimony" should be viewed as the "exception" for now, to be safe. My assertions were prefaced with a "it sounds like" disclaimer, which is even-handed and fair. The SR-325is's simply don't deserve the bad rap that took more precedence a year or two ago when there was plenty of recoiling from the "goldie" SR-325i's going on.

Jan 10, 2010 at 12:21 PM Post #35 of 61
Quote:

Indeed it is a great compliment and intended as such. With all that I still would be wary recommending it as a dedicated can.

Quote:

There IS something magical about the way Grado voices the midrange. The SR325is has that magic midrange.

There is a magic to it indeed that offers tremendous synergy with some music, but interestingly for me, not all my music. In more than a few instances for me, it's synergy for the opposite effect. In these latter situations I reach for of my other cans. Some cans are just not good all rounders and I'm beginning to feel this way even about my Ed 8's, though stridency isn't one of its problems.

Quote:

I haven't listened to all headphones <$300, but Grado's aren't the be all and end all. They do strike a cord for some and you seem to be one of them. However, this isn't necessarily so for all. As an all rounder, I'd recommend, not necessarily in order of preference, an HD600, D2000, SR225i, HD595 or even the Sony MDR7506. Except for the D2000, I've listened to all of these and would happily recommend them as all-rounders. I'll be listening to my AKG's, soon to come to see if I'd recommend one of those as well.

Jan 10, 2010 at 2:33 PM Post #36 of 61
See, for me, the Sennheiser sound is a bit too laid back and comes off as boring. They're pleasant enough and probably fine for long-term listening in that they are inoffensive, but they don't do enough for me, at least from what I have heard. The SR225i didn't do enough. For jazz, they were fine, and overall, for their ability to communicate, they were good, too. But the 325is dug far better beneath the surface of the music to deliver more of the music's meaning.

Regarding my spending, yes, sampling the Grado cartridges came from a time when I had greater cash flow. Still, I got to listen to the Platinum and Sonata cartridges through borrowing, and I bought a Master. I have also listened to a mono Sonata in my then system and bought a mono ME+.

So, Aimlink, what does the ED8 lack that you would improve upon?

Jan 10, 2010 at 3:08 PM Post #37 of 61
I agree about the laid back approach of the HD6xx, but you can throw any music at them and you'll not be treated harshly or overcome in any way. Really great recordings do sound great with them. OTOH, you have some cans that put a foot forward in some ways to make things exciting. However, there is an inevitable compromise in that the foot forward works with only some music and not so well with other types. The only way the listener will consider those cans an all-rounder is if they really are a fan of that particular quality that's accentuated. A complementary inventory of such cans can make for a really rewarding experience once you've overcome the tendency to wish to listen to only one set of cans. However, when the funds are low one has to pick a solution that will work fine across the board.

For the Ed8's, I'd have to say that they put a foot forward with the bass response. Wonderful with a lot of recordings, but overbearing with some of the newer recordings that already have a lot of bass.

Jan 10, 2010 at 3:42 PM Post #38 of 61
I'm not sure if it's the foot forward aspect to Grado, at least in the top region, that makes them compelling. To my ears, it's the midrange. Whether it be one of their cartridges or one of their headphones, even with quiet music, I sit on the edge of my seat in anticipation and in reaction to what the performer is communicating. I don't get that with most other headphones. The only other headphones I have heard that get me to sit up and really listen are STAX, and I used to own one.

Jan 10, 2010 at 5:24 PM Post #39 of 61
Very insightful review AnalogJ. I agree almost completely with your review of these headphones. I chose the sr225i over the sr325i due to the fact that I thought the sr325i could get a little to bright at times and for the extra $100 it didn't seem worth it to me.

Of course, down the road, I got the upgrade itch and splurged for a pair of used RS1is and couldn't be happier. Totally out of the prestige series price range, but the best I have heard Grado offer. Your review of the RS1 is spot on and switching between the sr325i (borrowed from a coworker), the sr225, and the rs1, it is apparent that the rs1 is far superior. That being said, far superior doesnt justify an extra $400 but if you can afford them, they provide a wonderful listening experience.

The rs1 has this deep resonating decay that fills the soundspace better than most headphones I have ever heard. There is absolutely no graininess and it they keep that lively Grado sound without the overlighy bright presentation.

Thanks again for the review... well done.

Jan 11, 2010 at 4:06 PM Post #40 of 61
There is always the point of diminishing returns, right? If the SR325is cans continue to relax in the top end, I'll be very satisfied with them. If not, I'll be fine for now and look for a used pair of RS1s out in the future.

Jan 11, 2010 at 5:53 PM Post #41 of 61
Glad to see more and more people finding the SR325is to be a great headphone. For me it has been love since I heard it the first time. A lot of headphones has come and gone but to this day SR325i gets 90% of my listening time. I just can not find any headphone which gives me listening pleasure like this one.

I will also say that I agree with aimlink on one point. It is that once in a while I encounter a track with a snare or little-drum - mainly electronic, but also rock/pop, where the snare or drum enters and penetrates the brain in such a way that I get listening fatigue within 30 seconds.

Most of my listening is jazz and electronica and it does nor happen very often. So the SR325i is still for me my preferred all-rounder.

Jan 11, 2010 at 6:04 PM Post #42 of 61
Every time I see a thread like this it makes me want the 325is even more. I have been wanting to get a pair of them since I first started in this hobby like 2 or 3 years ago.

I very ready to move on from my SR80's, but my wallet isn't.

Jan 11, 2010 at 10:43 PM Post #44 of 61
Thank you all. As an analog fanatic, I have reviewed some other equipment on Audio Asylum, same moniker, if you're interested.

Keep in mind, Greek, that with all the improvements you'd be getting with the 325is, you'd also be getting a much more revealing headphone. That's the rub.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back